Author Topic: Slugs  (Read 5523 times)

Re: Slugs
« Reply #25 on: 07 May, 2009, 09:29:30 am »
I have tried almost everything - beer traps, copper rings, eggshells, organic anti slug granules, nematodes.  We have song thrushes in our garden although no hodgepigs recently.

Absolutely nothing seems to stop them stripping our dwarf beans.  I've seen them marching forth over copper rings and the stuff that is supposed to stop them dead in their tracks.  Nematodes made absolutely no difference and cost a lot of money to treat a small bed.

I just grow things that slugs don't like these days and leave the rest, or grow it indoors!
Spinning, but not cycling...

« Reply #26 on: 07 May, 2009, 09:36:11 am »
Yeah, you kept getting down on your hands and knees and slurping it.

:hand: ;D  Months old rotting slugs has to be one of the worst smells known to mankind.  I made the mistake of having a really good smell of the jar sinister slug soup just to check it really was the source...  
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #27 on: 12 May, 2009, 02:34:14 pm »
For raised beds, my allotment holder neighbour suggests:

1.  Get hold of outdoor double-sided tape (something like this) with an acrylic adhesive, preferably at least 1½" wide.  Best place to get it is a good builders merchants.

2. Apply to all sides of raised bed.  If you want, you can do more than one band at different levels.

3.  Apply sharp sand to the adhesive to created a 'sand strip'.

4.  Sit back and watch the slugs struggle.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Si

« Reply #28 on: 12 May, 2009, 03:11:06 pm »
for my elevated seed bed/table I just painted the sides with copper slip - seemed to do the trick, nt one slug got onto it last year.  Sure it would work with raised beds if you put a lip at the top to stop the rain hitting the grease band directly.

« Reply #29 on: 12 May, 2009, 03:26:26 pm »
I am feeling really sorry for all the slugs now.

« Reply #30 on: 12 May, 2009, 04:15:33 pm »
According to Miss Z the elder, surveying the remains of her runner beans:

Slugs aren't very nice, are they Daddy?  And foxes.

What a shame - mine are just coming through in pots and I'll have a surplus, do you think I could mail you a few if I wrap the soil/roots in a polythene bag?

« Reply #31 on: 02 June, 2009, 03:59:25 pm »
I think I have everyone's share of slugs and snails. I need to go out daily and pull all the snails off the apple and pear trees. My strawbs are just coming through and im hoping the little blighters will leave them alone. They have decimated most my flowers, only the garlic has been left alone. Even found slugs in my potato tub yesterday!!!!  :-[

« Reply #32 on: 30 June, 2009, 01:25:25 am »
I've found a lot in the last few days, esp snails, and they are no doubt lurking in the jungle of crops that are ready at the moment.  I chuck the snails onto the flat extension roof, the slugs go into soapy water.  But you can still hear if there are any left - they make a distinctive rasping noise on the leaves if you listen carefully.

rae

« Reply #33 on: 30 June, 2009, 09:41:44 am »
I've employed some thrushes.   They work for nothing, and the garden is slug free.   It is such a surprise after being in London which was infested with the buggers.  Birds are quite handy.   The downside is that instead of slugs we have rabbits and deer, but they can be dealt with quite easily.

« Reply #34 on: 30 June, 2009, 06:30:15 pm »
I was listening to a hedgehog in the back garden last night. It made a very pleasant gentle snuffling sound, interspersed every minute or so with an exciting "chomp chomp chomp chomp" noise which I hope was it munching down a slug ;D

« Reply #35 on: 30 June, 2009, 08:44:52 pm »
I've employed some thrushes.   They work for nothing, and the garden is slug free.   It is such a surprise after being in London which was infested with the buggers.  Birds are quite handy.   The downside is that instead of slugs we have rabbits and deer, but they can be dealt with quite easily.
I had some thrushes last year, but they've moved on. Now I have blackbirds, which sing nicely, but are far too interested in digging up any bed I've mulched with compost, to get at the worms - and as a by-product, digging up small plants. :(
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #36 on: 30 June, 2009, 10:45:55 pm »
I always see frogs hopping around the beds at dusk, they keep the slugs down, but can they eat snails too?  Also frogs can't climb, if the beggars are halfway up a lettuce they're free to munch ...

... anyway just remembered I got some slug traps from Aldi, shame to waste any home brew but the yeasty bit at the end gets composted normally ...  :demon:

« Reply #37 on: 28 December, 2009, 06:44:14 pm »
Nematodes seem to work but need re-applying every six weeks wich works out expensive.
Rich