Author Topic: Sherlock  (Read 39310 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Sherlock
« Reply #200 on: 16 January, 2014, 03:46:51 pm »
It's fan fiction, from one of the strongest fandoms there is.  The whole point is to do something differently, exploring the characters and settings.  It's just like all that slash you probably don't read on the internet, but by a couple of established TV writers with a stonking great budget.

Yadda yadda baby yadda yadda bathwater...

???

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #201 on: 16 January, 2014, 06:28:08 pm »
For once*, I am completey in agreement with Kim's post.

*It's rare that I actually understand  more than 80%.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #202 on: 21 May, 2014, 08:55:34 pm »
The wonderful thing about being a Sherlock fan in the modern age is that is keeps subverting itself, but always remaining recognisable to the original characters. Just watched the latest episode of Elementary, all wonderfully silly

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #203 on: 09 January, 2017, 03:44:08 pm »
Too good.

I love the way this series is written. 
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #204 on: 09 January, 2017, 04:13:02 pm »
If ypu've read the books as well it's great to be able to see the new interpretation but the threads of the original as well, such as last week's death of Mary Watson.  In the originals, Watson gets married and pretty much next book he's there again as she's died of some unknown/unnamed Victorian disease. I was sat last week explaining all this to the wife.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #205 on: 09 January, 2017, 06:55:22 pm »
If Cucumberpatch doesn't stop mumbling I shall be Displeased.  Honestly, he's turning into Rafe Spall.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #206 on: 10 January, 2017, 07:22:43 am »
Agreed, they were all quite bad last episode, the amount of times we had to rewind to work out what people were saying was ridiculous.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #207 on: 10 January, 2017, 11:32:46 am »
Unfortunately subtitles are your friend.
It is simpler than it looks.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #208 on: 10 January, 2017, 01:48:18 pm »
Still fucking awesome.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #209 on: 10 January, 2017, 03:42:38 pm »
It's fan fiction, from one of the strongest fandoms there is.  The whole point is to do something differently, exploring the characters and settings.  It's just like all that slash you probably don't read on the internet, but by a couple of established TV writers with a stonking great budget.

Yadda yadda baby yadda yadda bathwater...

???

Looking back on my post 2 years down the line, I'm not sure what I meant either.  ;D

Actually, I think I can work it out - I probably meant they've 'updated' it so much that they've lost sight of what was good about the originals. Last episode I watched was Sherlock in name only... I've not watched any of the recent episodes because I've been put off by the reviews. Maybe I should give it a chance, but I've hardly watched any telly recently so it's not like I'm singling out Sherlock to ignore.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #210 on: 10 January, 2017, 04:44:28 pm »
I think it's terrible but it's probably a good thing that I'm in the minority (in that it's surely better that there are more people enjoying it than not).

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #211 on: 12 January, 2017, 09:40:54 am »
Last episode I watched was Sherlock in name only

I've never read any Sherlock Holmes so I can't compare it with the books.

Surely the "originals" have been done to death though, and there's no point re-hashing them yet again.

Sherlock seems to be a blend of Conan Doyle's Holmes with Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently, and with lots of money thrown at it. 

No bad thing in my book.  I've found the last two episodes to be genuinely exciting and interesting.

Clear Jimmy Savile references throughout (to help create a true monster I expect).

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #212 on: 12 January, 2017, 10:15:40 am »
Last episode I watched was Sherlock in name only

I've never read any Sherlock Holmes so I can't compare it with the books.

Surely the "originals" have been done to death though, and there's no point re-hashing them yet again.

Sherlock seems to be a blend of Conan Doyle's Holmes with Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently, and with lots of money thrown at it. 

No bad thing in my book.  I've found the last two episodes to be genuinely exciting and interesting.

Clear Jimmy Savile references throughout (to help create a true monster I expect).

I've never read any of the Conan Doyle books either, and I really like the TV programme.  Agree about the Jimmy Savile references, it was so chilling!

Whoever played the corpse in the mortuary was either exceptionally good at it, or genuinely dead.  I hope it was the first one  ;D
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #213 on: 12 January, 2017, 10:30:09 am »
This has been the best series so far. I only watched this weeks episode last night and it was brilliant, enthralling all the way through.

I had to look away (tiny bit squeamish) during the mortuary scene so didn't concentrate on the body much but we watched a making of NCIS on the DVD (also a fan) in which they need lots of 'bodies' in the mortuary and they are usually very realistic dummies rather than real people. There's whole companies in Hollywood dedicated to making them. I assume this was something similar.

I've never read the Conan Doyle books either but was riding in this morning thinking I should give it a go to see how it's been interpreted. I have no issues with modern interpretations of classics, particularly if it gets me reading the original.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #214 on: 12 January, 2017, 10:35:48 am »

Why do it at all? Why not come up with something different?

I'll probably get round to watching them at some point but there's too much other stuff on the telly to keep up with - some of which isn't entirely derivative of old ideas...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #215 on: 12 January, 2017, 11:31:23 am »

I'll probably get round to watching them at some point but there's too much other stuff on the telly to keep up with - some of which isn't entirely derivative of old ideas...

Good luck with finding them.

fuzzy

« Reply #216 on: 12 January, 2017, 01:34:25 pm »
Sherlock, being shorter seasons, holds its own much better than Elementary. I thought the 'Merkin version was good to start with and Joan Watson can deal with me any day but, the story arcs are getting very silly now.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #217 on: 12 January, 2017, 01:53:44 pm »
Worth noting, if you are looking for originality, that the filming, and even more so, the editing, of Sherlock is masterful.

I may watch the episode again, knowing the outcome, to see how carefully the clues were presented...."Anyone".

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #218 on: 16 January, 2017, 01:00:31 am »
As a finale, that left something to be desired :(

« Reply #219 on: 16 January, 2017, 10:23:33 am »
I'm a fan of a more conventional Sherlock , ie what Conan Doyle wrote (the psychopath sister in league with Moriarty was a step too far for me), and enjoyed explaining the throwaway bits, the Dancing men code, and the Garridebs to show off to my not in anyway interested wife. My wife who's not a fan of conventional Sherlock enjoyed it and was scared by the opening.
The end bit where Holmes and Watson are seen exiting Rathbone house, I initially mistook for them leaving a registry office together.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #220 on: 16 January, 2017, 11:06:27 am »
Moriarty would have been more threatening if he didn't remind me so much of Ronnie O'Sullivan.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #221 on: 16 January, 2017, 11:50:23 am »
As a finale, that left something to be desired :(

Agreed.  I found myself thinking, "Get on with it" on several occasions.

The forgotten genius sister had such potential but it all got a bit Ghost-Train.  The final reveal should have been all the characters that she'd played up to that point.

Ah well... I've moved on to TABOO with Tom Hardy now.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #222 on: 16 January, 2017, 01:28:07 pm »
The forgotten genius sister was Alice Morgan from "Luther" with the interesting bits removed.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #223 on: 16 January, 2017, 01:35:28 pm »
I fell asleep halfway through the second episode of Sherlock (and not watched last night's final episode), and found this new frenetic-style far too distracting and disjointed. Clever, intricate and very well crafted it might be, but felt it had been taken too much into the world of psychedelia – which would make for an interesting cookery programme for Delia Smith – baking mind-altering dishes for the adventurous … "sprinkle Angel Dust sparingly on this one!"
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

fuzzy

« Reply #224 on: 16 January, 2017, 10:33:34 pm »
Well, just caught up with the finale......

Shouldn't have bothered.

More pointless, silly, 'Hollywood' fucking around than Elementary.

Come back early Sherlock. Please!