Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 636786 times)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #350 on: 21 December, 2009, 05:52:35 pm »
No new snow here (Cambridge) but ridged ice/slush combo on all the shared-use paths.
Trumpington Road (main road south towards the Motorway) has been walking-pace traffic all afternoon.  I know because I walked out 2 miles, and was overtaking cars all the way.
At one driveway, a car was wheel-spinning and going nowhere.  So I helped push them out onto the main road.  Not the ideal advert for the all-weather capabilities of a Maserati.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #351 on: 21 December, 2009, 05:52:43 pm »
Poor weather means Sainsbury's have cancelled the delivery they were due to make here this afternoon. Today was the last delivery I could get before the festivities.
Our freezer is well-stocked but we won't be getting the little treats I had planned.
We'll have a real Bah Humbug Christmas.

HOORAY!

Christmas has been cancelled!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #352 on: 21 December, 2009, 05:54:57 pm »
Christmas has been cancelled!
Please tell me that it is official and forever.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #353 on: 21 December, 2009, 06:09:02 pm »

Please tell me that it is official and forever.

Move to somewhere where there are only radical Islamics.  But don't let on you're a Dane.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #354 on: 21 December, 2009, 06:12:29 pm »
's OK. My parents are Jewish and don't do Christmas. Mum was born in Copenhagen though...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #355 on: 21 December, 2009, 06:20:44 pm »
Move to somewhere where there are only radical Islamics.  But don't let on you're a Dane.
I'm not scared, when the "cartoon war" was on there was more damage to the Swiss embassies around the world than to the Danish ones and more Muslims killed by Muslims than Danes hurt, go figure.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #356 on: 21 December, 2009, 06:22:54 pm »
S'melting!!

This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #357 on: 21 December, 2009, 06:24:32 pm »
I am dreading the commute home from Clapham to SE13 land tonight and the cars are already at a standstill here  :(, I have thermal tights and trousers but not waterproofs. Am just going to plug the evil ipod in and just sing through the wet terrain.

« Reply #358 on: 21 December, 2009, 06:31:42 pm »
Riding home from work was fine. Roads were clear, then coming to the rads to get to my house the roads were covered in slush, then moved onto some white roads where the snow had been compacted down, but with bits still soft.
No problems. Braking with the legs on the fixed so i could feel what the back wheel was doing. Everything nice and steady. Not even any clenching done.

In the middle of town the bits of snow that had been left.had sort of melted had frozen leaving large sections of ice. Had my back wheel slip abit on this(was gradient going down) as i was braking.
 8)

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #359 on: 21 December, 2009, 07:45:39 pm »
I'm not worried about the snow, tis the chavs with compacted snowballs. Hence why I'll be going on with my dlock on my bars :demon:
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #360 on: 21 December, 2009, 07:46:52 pm »
I'm not worried about the snow, tis the chavs with compacted snowballs. Hence why I'll be going on with my dlock on my bars :demon:

dlock = 1   compacted snowball = 0
 :demon:

« Reply #361 on: 21 December, 2009, 09:48:25 pm »
It has snowed sufficiently to Log Jam Bracknell, the A30 and the M3 sufficiently that having provided child care to my two year old niece today we were unable to get her home again.

So we still have tears now and she can't sleep because it is not her special bed that Daddy made for her last week.

:-\ Not sure how much sleep any of us will get tonight so I only hope the trains aren't running tomorrow, then I can't get to work.

Matthew

« Reply #362 on: 21 December, 2009, 10:14:04 pm »
Hold on a minute, there's a serious side to all this:

Sprout shortage as snow ruins Christmas crop - Telegraph

« Reply #363 on: 21 December, 2009, 10:18:23 pm »
That is bad news.  I love sprouts, and they work very well in Bubble and Squeak as well.  Nom nom nom.

Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #364 on: 21 December, 2009, 10:27:07 pm »
Tonight was the first time ever that the weather defeated me on my commute home. Black ice just isn't worth it so I got off and walked much of the way. I was still faster than the cars  :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #365 on: 21 December, 2009, 10:36:42 pm »
It's been sleet here. The nokians aren't so good in deep slush. Also, tosspot motorists: I'm riding on the road because that's where there isn't snow. Beeping your horn aggressively as you pass after being held up for several seconds won't change anything. As for the guy who overtook at the blind summit of coldhams lane bridge despite the clear glow of oncoming headlights: die slowly and alone.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #366 on: 21 December, 2009, 10:42:53 pm »
Wish me luck, I'm going out in 23mm  ProRace2s lol
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

JJ

« Reply #367 on: 21 December, 2009, 11:14:59 pm »
As for the guy who overtook at the blind summit of coldhams lane bridge despite the clear glow of oncoming headlights: May you wander the Beehive Centre, wearing shorts and a string vest, for the rest of eternity.

FTFY

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #368 on: 21 December, 2009, 11:22:21 pm »
Still thawing here.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #369 on: 21 December, 2009, 11:24:50 pm »
Tonight was the first time ever that the weather defeated me on my commute home. Black ice just isn't worth it so I got off and walked much of the way. I was still faster than the cars  :thumbsup:

I left work at 8pm - I've just got back in  >:( The A205 was at a complete standstill so I decided to walk the 7 miles home. Thankfully at West Dulwich there was a train going to Bromley Saarth and then a connection to Catford. Mr Welshness picked me up from Catford. It was absolute carnage out there, with lots of abandoned motorbikes and cars. I am so f*cking glad to be home.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #370 on: 21 December, 2009, 11:29:33 pm »
Blimy, you poor thing! It's quite remarkable how pretty well all our roads in Saarfend have been cleared by the same weather front which has given London a really nasty dose.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

simonp

« Reply #371 on: 21 December, 2009, 11:30:55 pm »
Colleague at work with the TT didn't pay enough attention when I said "severe weather warning" and he didn't leave until 7pm, and lives 40 miles away.  Aww.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #372 on: 22 December, 2009, 12:08:53 am »
Got home safe, bit slippery.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #373 on: 22 December, 2009, 12:50:44 am »
You can tell that the SNO has hit London.

It's melting here, but the local news (London!!!  ???) has started showing the footage of wheelspinning cars with people pushing it, and commenting on severe traffic delays.

« Reply #374 on: 22 December, 2009, 07:41:24 am »
I'm really hoping that all this has cleared now.  I'm going to wait for the rush hour to pass, and then try and deliver the cat to his Holidays.

I've done this in the past by bike, but this cattery is a fair distance, and plonking him into a cat carrier for an hour and a half or more whilst getting sprayed with road crud would be a bit unfair, so the four wheeled motorised monster is coming out!
Actually, it is rocket science.