Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 636754 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1150 on: 13 January, 2010, 02:01:37 pm »
No SNO in the City.

But is there sex...?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1151 on: 13 January, 2010, 02:02:19 pm »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1152 on: 13 January, 2010, 02:02:55 pm »
I was about to say, when people provide a weather report please can they mention where they are.

Thanks all !!
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1153 on: 13 January, 2010, 02:04:23 pm »
I'm here.

We now have no weather.

« Reply #1154 on: 13 January, 2010, 02:06:11 pm »
I was about to say, when people provide a weather report please can they mention where they are.

Thanks all !!
I usually remember. Some people have locations in their profiles.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1155 on: 13 January, 2010, 02:21:35 pm »
I reckon a little over 20cm fell in Radyr, Cardiff last night 

In the snow last night I had one of my favourite events.  As I turned around the corner into  Drysgol Road a 1 in 11 I had to pass a BMW (rear wheel drive) failing to go further.  Of course I with my excessive weight positioned over my drive wheel pedaled straight up the hill with only the occasional wheel slip.

This morning was more tricky.  The snow started relatively early yesterday so many cars passed over the roads creating ruts that were then covered over by later snow.  Riding through the snow was very awkward this morning with random bumps and the front wheel being deflected unexpectedly.  I still managed to arrive at the station on time though. To catch an express commuter train. The train was unable to take its usual route into Cardiff so used  the other route leaving disconcerted commuters watch me whizz straight past their platform. When I arrived in Bridgend I chickened out riding down Court Road which looked slippy at that time. I mounted on Nolton Street and rode the few miles to work.  

I arrived at the office to discover that I was first to arrive. Unfortunately I am not a key holder so had to wait 40 minutes before someone else arrived. The car travelers seemed to have a much trickier journey than me.  

border-rider

« Reply #1156 on: 13 January, 2010, 02:23:35 pm »

Thanks all !!

I'm a few miles Northwest-ish of where Tewdric is.  Hope that helps ;)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #1157 on: 13 January, 2010, 02:24:11 pm »
Snow falling now in Chesterfield. Not settling yet but will do if it continues at this rate...

Casualty has been closed and a "Major Incident" declared at the hospital.

The ambulance service apparently has 60+ outstanding emergency calls.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1158 on: 13 January, 2010, 03:00:41 pm »
It was snowing this morning at 0600 when I got up & has continued all day long with increasing persitence(sp).
It is becoming increasingly difficult for vehicles to travel on the side roads that I can see from the office & soon they will be unusable.The only thing keeping the primary road open is the traffic carving tracks in the snow.

« Reply #1159 on: 13 January, 2010, 03:05:07 pm »
We've just had a snow plough go through my village  :) still haven't seen any grit as yet, the pavements are very bad to walk on still

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1160 on: 13 January, 2010, 03:14:49 pm »
Amazingly clear now. Hope it continues like this, so I can get in easily tomorrow.

- Sutton, Surrey
Getting there...

« Reply #1161 on: 13 January, 2010, 03:17:37 pm »
drizzing again, I suppose it'll freeze tonight again and make the roads even wess. There is no grit in this town, only major routes now.

« Reply #1162 on: 13 January, 2010, 03:19:33 pm »
It stopped about 11, but it's just started again now.  There has been some melting as sheltered areas (eg under tables) that had a light covering of snow earlier, are now free of snow.

Location - Oxford.

« Reply #1163 on: 13 January, 2010, 03:21:02 pm »
I love it - it's so British. 78 pages of talking about the weather ;D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #1164 on: 13 January, 2010, 03:24:12 pm »
Oh. It's just started again here in Surrey :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #1165 on: 13 January, 2010, 03:25:44 pm »
Been stopped since about 2pm in sunny South Ruislip.  Looking quite thick out there though.  I may just leg it home before it gets dark and starts up again.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

bikenerd

« Reply #1166 on: 13 January, 2010, 03:32:13 pm »
The bus I should have caught to work this morning:

Sideways is the new forward.
Maybe now the council will plow and grit the road? (Wishful thinking...)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1167 on: 13 January, 2010, 03:32:28 pm »
BUT will you be RAIN-legging auntie C.  :)

« Reply #1168 on: 13 January, 2010, 03:46:35 pm »
90 minutes to get home by train.

In the 45 minutes I waited in Waterloo station only 4 trains left. The evening commute is going to be utter hell. Ho ho ho!

Lots of trains, but few drivers.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1169 on: 13 January, 2010, 03:51:59 pm »
Derby: Very light snow-fall continually since 9am.  Difficult to tell if it's settling, as the land around was white-covered anyway.  It's just started getting a teensy bit heavier.

To the 'cheetah owners out there; do you have any form of rear mudguard?  I'm getting bored scrubbing the mud-stains off the left-hand side of my coat's collar.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1170 on: 13 January, 2010, 03:54:46 pm »
Stopped now in Harlot and even when it was coming down properly, it couldn't be arsed to settle.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1171 on: 13 January, 2010, 03:54:58 pm »
Stopped again in Oxford.

Tim

« Reply #1172 on: 13 January, 2010, 03:56:45 pm »
To the 'cheetah owners out there; do you have any form of rear mudguard?  I'm getting bored scrubbing the mud-stains off the left-hand side of my coat's collar.
I hang a bag off the top of the seat which gives me a bit of cover (but not much). I reckon I get more stained by the spray off the front wheels than from the rear coming back over my head.

« Reply #1173 on: 13 January, 2010, 03:57:00 pm »
To the 'cheetah owners out there; do you have any form of rear mudguard?  I'm getting bored scrubbing the mud-stains off the left-hand side of my coat's collar.

No mudguard.   Which is one reason the 'cheetah is in the garage and not being ridden.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1174 on: 13 January, 2010, 03:57:53 pm »
Can we either have some serious snow or have it melt?  I can't be doing with half-hearted flakes.
Getting there...