Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 638459 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1200 on: 14 January, 2010, 11:35:55 am »
There's nothing wrong with a proper English word like Fall.  No idea when the UK started going all Latinate and using words like Autumn.  ::-)

:P
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

border-rider

« Reply #1201 on: 14 January, 2010, 11:37:51 am »
It's misty here, with a lot of sno still on the ground, but it's thawing.  Too soggy to run, too slushy to ride.

We had a gritter come through in the early hours.  Most unexpected - that's the first one.

« Reply #1202 on: 14 January, 2010, 11:49:42 am »
There's nothing wrong with a proper English word like Fall.  No idea when the UK started going all Latinate and using words like Autumn.  ::-)

:P

Fall is still current in, for instance, Dorset.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #1203 on: 14 January, 2010, 11:55:25 am »
It's warm and raining.

It's only January so, "this may not be the beginning of the end but it may at least be the end of the beginning" (half remembered quote).

"We will fight them... in the ditches...."

"And on the cycle paths"

"We shall never surrender"

;)
Owner of a languishing Langster

robbo6

« Reply #1204 on: 14 January, 2010, 01:45:37 pm »
A bit more snow overnight in S Cumbria, about 2 barleycorns lying. But I did see a council bod with a leaf-blower clearing the pavements ahead of the rubbish collectors' visit.

« Reply #1205 on: 14 January, 2010, 01:45:47 pm »
There's nothing wrong with a proper English word like Fall.  No idea when the UK started going all Latinate and using words like Autumn.  ::-)

Apparently Harvest is the older usage, and terms like August and Fall are modern inventions, one becoming more popular in the North American continent, and the other in the British Isles.

South Ken has bugger all snow, but it hasn't had much anyway for quite a while.

Croydon was less white than it has been for a while when I left this morning, but it looked like it would take a while for the fairly light drizzle to have much of an impact.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1206 on: 14 January, 2010, 01:54:10 pm »
"You've Got A Friend" really relies on the term "fall".
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1207 on: 14 January, 2010, 01:57:19 pm »
'Winter, Spring, Summer or Autumn
All you gotta do is, er, well, um...' ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #1208 on: 14 January, 2010, 02:43:29 pm »
Winter, Spring, Summer or Autumn
All you gotta do is call 'em
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1209 on: 14 January, 2010, 03:39:33 pm »
Well, despite the snow falling pretty thick and fast on Wednesday, the binmen turned up and collected our rubbish, recycling and kitchen waste pretty much on time! I was impressed. There were no trains however, so I spent a day working from home.

Today, riding in was fine up until Clapham Common where a thin cleared trail in the slush got thinner and thinner and thinner as I approached the little jiggle at the end of the cycle path where it goes left and then right on a slight downhill slope. I approached this at absolute tippy-toes speed, thinking to myself "I'm such a wuss!". Cleared it safely, stopped at the junction, heard a metallic crash and turned around to see another cyclist sliding towards me on his arse. So I guess the caution was merited.

I'll be glad when all this slippery stuff has gone. I have no real trouble riding in the rain.

« Reply #1210 on: 14 January, 2010, 03:54:36 pm »
It's been quite a nice day in Southampton 3c and all main roads clear of ice/snow, our car park is still covered in slushy ice so may be back on the bike over the weekend

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1211 on: 14 January, 2010, 03:55:37 pm »
It has done nothing but rain here in Cambridge...

Normal winter service has resumed!  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1212 on: 14 January, 2010, 04:36:02 pm »
"You've Got A Friend" really relies on the term "fall".

Yebbut Carol Klein's American, isn't she?

« Reply #1213 on: 14 January, 2010, 04:42:21 pm »
I'm pretty dischuffed with the refuse collectors/ cooncil since we had a dodgy service for 11  weeks while they were on strike

border-rider

« Reply #1214 on: 14 January, 2010, 04:48:37 pm »
ah, that's fair enough.  Badly handled by your Council, that one.

« Reply #1215 on: 14 January, 2010, 05:06:12 pm »
ah, that's fair enough.  Badly handled by your Council, that one.
The unions made a meal of it too. The workers ended up accepting something that was offered a month prior which at that point was rejected.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #1216 on: 14 January, 2010, 05:07:49 pm »
Bin collections are always interesting. It's about the only visible service that the middle class feel they receive in return for their couple of thousand pounds every year. Of course, that's not accurate but it's certainly how people feel.

« Reply #1217 on: 14 January, 2010, 05:08:31 pm »
We've not had our bins collected for a couple of weeks.  Then again, the post didn't turn up for a week either.  And I've not been to work in that time (working from home). So I accept that sno has screwed everything requiring transport up, and hope that as the sno goes it'll all go back to normal...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1218 on: 14 January, 2010, 05:11:41 pm »
Landed in Aalborg airport where there is still around 2 feet of snow and
by magic the airport is still open. The local habor and fjord is frozen over, which I saw from the plane. A bit weird to see snow where water normal is.  
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1219 on: 14 January, 2010, 05:12:13 pm »
Bin collections are always interesting. It's about the only visible service that the middle class feel they receive in return for their couple of thousand pounds every year. Of course, that's not accurate but it's certainly how people feel.
I am inclined to agree with you. There are many services that alot of people don't use either because they don't know they exist or because they are not entitled to them or because they don't want them. And many that people don't realise that council tax pays for.

« Reply #1220 on: 14 January, 2010, 05:21:36 pm »
One hell of a thick fog here. A real "owl" and "hole" one.
Airport is nice and quiet.
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

bikenerd

« Reply #1221 on: 14 January, 2010, 05:44:35 pm »
In Oxford, the bin men who couldn't collect waste from streets where the road was iced up were reassigned to clear the pavements in the city centre.  :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1222 on: 14 January, 2010, 06:37:25 pm »
We did make it to chambery on sun afternoon, felt sorry for those trying to get home who were being put up in the local uni dorms tho. Snowed all day here yesterday in val which was nice. Pretty windy today. I was hoping that the sno would have gone at home by sat but i guess not :-(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1223 on: 14 January, 2010, 06:43:59 pm »
Melty melty here.  After four days braving a 50mph (i.e. 70mph because Swindon has no speed cameras any more)  three-lane dual carriageway because the psyclepath is deep snow, I have decided my nine lives are all but used up this week and shall drive tomorrow.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1224 on: 14 January, 2010, 07:17:20 pm »
Melty melty here.  After four days braving a 50mph (i.e. 70mph because Swindon has no speed cameras any more)  three-lane dual carriageway because the psyclepath is deep snow, I have decided my nine lives are all but used up this week and shall drive tomorrow.

That's gonna piss-off the 'cycling jersey thief' no end.