Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 637721 times)

border-rider

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1275 on: 18 January, 2010, 12:33:25 pm »

So, analysing that, you have a Chopper and a tricycle.

No, no Chopper.  A multitude of fixed, one SS and two trikes tho' ;)

Are you 10 years old ?

I believe so, yes.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1276 on: 18 January, 2010, 01:31:39 pm »
Next door to work is a motorcycle training centre.  This morning I saw a motorbike there for the first time in a month!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1277 on: 18 January, 2010, 09:40:19 pm »
What we need more than anything is a decent downpour to clear the gritty crap off the roads. My bike looks like its been round a wet speedway track.

Yuk.

Clean those brakes people, or lose your rims !
Rust never sleeps

border-rider

« Reply #1278 on: 18 January, 2010, 09:43:07 pm »
What we need more than anything is a decent downpour to clear the gritty crap off the roads.

You obv. don't live in South Wales ;)

We have a layer of mud washed out of the fields, branches, stones, assorted detritus and some residual underwater bits after Saturday's floods.

But not much evidence of salt left :)

« Reply #1279 on: 18 January, 2010, 10:41:11 pm »
Clean those brakes people, or lose your rims !
Nah, fixed innit, leg braking.

« Reply #1280 on: 18 January, 2010, 11:17:48 pm »
What we need more than anything is a decent downpour to clear the gritty crap off the roads.

You obv. don't live in South Wales ;)

We have a layer of mud washed out of the fields, branches, stones, assorted detritus and some residual underwater bits after Saturday's floods.

But not much evidence of salt left :)

We haz ROKS , TREEZ and HUGE PUGGLES

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1281 on: 18 January, 2010, 11:41:46 pm »
Just back from Denmark where there is around 2' of snow at my old folks place and around 3-4" in CPH.

It is the first time in 16" years that they have had so much snow for so long, mid December until now. And the first white xmas where it have been over 90% of the country covered on the 24th of Dec. for a long time.

And more snow is due.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1282 on: 19 January, 2010, 12:21:43 am »
And are the locals complaining about the snow?   Have the council gritted all roads and footpaths so that they're completely snow free?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1283 on: 19 January, 2010, 12:31:11 am »
Nope they just get on with it. Will post a picture in the am from me old folks cul-de-sac.

« Reply #1284 on: 19 January, 2010, 12:37:58 am »
Exactly the answer I was expecting  ;D ;D ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think I want to move to Denmark.

« Reply #1285 on: 19 January, 2010, 01:15:45 pm »
My Kahtoola Micro Spikes have finally arrived.  I've now guaranteed absolutely zero snow & ice in Liverpool for the rest of the winter !
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1286 on: 19 January, 2010, 01:28:36 pm »

That was 2-3 feet deep start of Jan. Now around 5-10cm hard packed snow. It my folks road come cul-de-sac they got around 250m out to the main road which is clear. Most and main bicycle lanes have been cleared.

Yet no one was late to work.

« Reply #1287 on: 19 January, 2010, 04:12:21 pm »
Mor SNO due heer tomorrow! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #1288 on: 19 January, 2010, 04:16:34 pm »
I don't have my fingers crossed.  I'm expecting a non-event.

The weather forecasts have all been "snow on Wednesday", but no real details as to time/location.  Also, those that do give details have said "one or two centimetres".  That, falling on the warmer ground of the last few days, ain't gonna settle.

I think it's the same as back last Feb.  We got a bad dumping, the country ground to a halt, the meeja are now going mad about it and forecasting doom and gloom.

border-rider

« Reply #1289 on: 19 January, 2010, 05:07:11 pm »
Big Sno forecast for the high ground here

I was just up on the edge of the Beacons, taking a chance for a ride whilst the roads are clear, and it felt decidedly snow-in-the-offing as I was coming down.  It got colder during the day; I started at 9 with track mitts, and by 1 pm I was breaking out the gloves & woolly hat.

I suspect we'll just get rain here though.

« Reply #1290 on: 19 January, 2010, 05:42:19 pm »
It looks like most of the snow is going to hit the western side of the country, there seems like little forecast for the east, so London and elsewhere (eg Southend!) should largely avoid it.

On the other hand, should we get a dump, and the inevitable ice-ification of that snow by cars driving on it, I may yet get to try out the studded tyres this year!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1291 on: 19 January, 2010, 08:52:30 pm »
No, it's coming from the west. Forecast to be light rain at 4°C here tomorrow, although the higher bits of Wales will probably have a fair fall. It won't last though, with heavier rain and higher temperatures forecast for Thursday.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

border-rider

« Reply #1292 on: 19 January, 2010, 08:57:28 pm »
yep.

That's why I went on my ride over one of the higher bits of Wales today :)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1293 on: 19 January, 2010, 09:10:08 pm »
Just spoken to Mrs. B on the phone.  The first band has passed over down there.

Rain.  Not Sno.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1294 on: 19 January, 2010, 09:30:11 pm »
Hmm. The BBC local wild guess forecast says that there will be heavy snow here tomorrow. We'll see.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

border-rider

« Reply #1295 on: 20 January, 2010, 09:05:08 am »
It's just turned from rain to sno here, but it's only sticking on the grass.

The Forest has been hit a bit harder, with few cm on the roads and most of the towns not easily passable

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1296 on: 20 January, 2010, 10:20:26 am »
4-6 inches up on top here, only 1-2 inches in the valleys. A bit slushy, but traffic hell.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1297 on: 20 January, 2010, 10:21:45 am »
Dry here :)

« Reply #1298 on: 20 January, 2010, 11:58:01 am »
It's still dry here as well, which is quite surprising, since I looked at the Rain Radar this morning, realised the rain was about to hit, and didn't rush, since I assumed I wasn't going to be able to avoid it whatever I did.  Even now, several hours later nothing has yet to happen to South Kensington, although it does look like the rain on the radar is slowly edging into the vicinity of London.

I imagine this same band of weather is rain or snow, depending on the ambient temperature when it drops.  If it does become snow here, hopefully it'll stay snow-like, so I can cycle home before I have to deal with ice.  Ice on the ground, and my bike not equipped with it's studded tyres would be annoying!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #1299 on: 20 January, 2010, 01:08:57 pm »
It was snowing this morning in Bristol, big flakes but not holding on the wet ground.
Chief cat entertainer.