Author Topic: OSM, making small maps  (Read 1812 times)

OSM, making small maps
« on: 09 July, 2011, 12:37:51 pm »
I once loaded some routable OSM tiles into MapSource, it was OK but they are are far too large to be of much use in my Vista C which has only 24MB of memory available to it. Is it possible to make some maps that cover a reasonably large area yet occupy not much memory ? I don't need loads of POIs, contours, just roads, doesn't really need to be routable but it would be nice.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: OSM, making small maps
« Reply #1 on: 09 July, 2011, 04:53:43 pm »
Yup. Roll your own with mkgmap and make custom lines, points and polygons files.  If you leave the points file empty, you'll have no POI at all.  Ditto polygons for areas. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #2 on: 09 July, 2011, 07:42:07 pm »
I knew it would be possible, what I really meant was 'could you possibly furnish me wth some links to notes telling me how to do this'. I am afraid at this point in time I don't know what you mean by curtom lines, points and polygons so something to real to enlighten me would be appreciated.

Thanks

« Reply #3 on: 10 July, 2011, 04:51:55 pm »
This gives a few hints on how to use mkgmap:

cferrero.net - OSM & Garmin Maps: Beginner's guide

To produce simpler maps, copy the examples/styles/default directory from the mkgmap zip file somewhere else and open the files in a text editor. Delete the lines (or comment out: put a '#' at the beginning of the line) for things you're not interested in. Then call:

java -jar mkgmap.jar --style-file=<new style dir> -c template.args --route --gmapsupp --tdbfile

This style: https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B4yOg-w3gPmtNGE3N2ZhNjgtMjczZi00YTI2LWFmMjAtZmJmYWRkMmIxNTU4&hl=en_US
which has roads, footpaths, railways, railway stations and places produces tiles for the uk which come to ~81mb. You can then use qlandkarteqt (and possibly mapsource) to select the tiles you want to use, save as a gmapsupp and load onto your gps.

James

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 10 July, 2011, 05:49:30 pm »
tiles for the uk which come to ~81mb.

That's very lightweight.  By comparison, the munkymap UK is 230mb, and that's before I add the 200mb of contours to make the heavyweight that it is.  Sounds just what you're after, MSeries.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #5 on: 10 July, 2011, 11:05:36 pm »
Thanks chaps, I'll try this out sometime soon, I already bookmarked cferrero.net, Thanks for pointing me to qlandkarteqt, I'd love to do all this on Linux, I need to select maps for upload to my GPS with it's limited memory and Mapsource is one of only a few reasons I am using Windows. I was actually starting to think how I might write such a map selection and uploading tool

« Reply #6 on: 10 July, 2011, 11:13:24 pm »
OMG, it looks like QLandkarte will support Garmin maps on Linux and it looks like there is a package ready rolled for Ubuntu.

« Reply #7 on: 11 July, 2011, 02:11:02 pm »
Bear in mind that routing data adds a fair bit to the size of the final gmapsupp.img file, so anything that gives smaller file sizes than normal may omit some or all of this. (Mapsource/City Navigator gives an option to omit the routing data, which makes the extra space apparent).

With only 24MB to play with, you should also look for something with small tiles, otherwise trying to load data for a route passing through the corners of 4 tiles may blow the limit. With Garmin maps, it's sometimes necessary to use Metroguide (no longer available) rather than City Navigator for this reason.

« Reply #8 on: 11 July, 2011, 06:09:06 pm »
Bear in mind that routing data adds a fair bit to the size of the final gmapsupp.img file, so anything that gives smaller file sizes than normal may omit some or all of this. (Mapsource/City Navigator gives an option to omit the routing data, which makes the extra space apparent).

With only 24MB to play with, you should also look for something with small tiles, otherwise trying to load data for a route passing through the corners of 4 tiles may blow the limit. With Garmin maps, it's sometimes necessary to use Metroguide (no longer available) rather than City Navigator for this reason.

I use Metroguide at present. Actually with Garmin maps the route data doesn't add much. I rarely fill the 24MB anyway.

« Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2011, 06:40:34 pm »
I use Metroguide at present. Actually with Garmin maps the route data doesn't add much. I rarely fill the 24MB anyway.
With City Navigator, the "London" tile extends from the M4/M25 junction to the Blackwall tunnel in the east/west direction - 14.1MB with route data, 9.9MB without. If you wanted to go further east, you'd have to add the Chelmsford tile (out as far as Felixstowe). With routing data, this blows the 24MB limit, just for the two tiles.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #10 on: 15 July, 2011, 08:36:52 pm »
OMG, it looks like QLandkarte will support Garmin maps on Linux and it looks like there is a package ready rolled for Ubuntu.

The package for Ubuntu tends to be a fair bit behind. IME QlandkarteGT is getting better and better and it is worth compiling the current version.

Now that I am used to it, I really like it. The developper has even added a feature to my request.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #11 on: 15 July, 2011, 09:50:37 pm »

The package for Ubuntu tends to be a fair bit behind. IME QlandkarteGT is getting better and better and it is worth compiling the current version.

Now that I am used to it, I really like it. The developper has even added a feature to my request.

It has already failed my trial. Deleting tracks cases it to exit sometimes, always if I use the delete key. FAIL.