Author Topic: Rear lights to fit on a rack  (Read 54150 times)

Re: Rear lights to fit on a rack
« Reply #50 on: 15 September, 2010, 11:41:09 am »
Spannanga do a couple of battery powered mudguard taillights. We use them, AAA batteries.
Ooh. Found some at Peter White (in the US), looks quite good.

Did you get yours posted from there? (and if so, at what cost, any import duties, yada yada ...? :) )
Import from the USA & unless they have an arrangement to pay the VAT, you're liable to pay it on delivery. The Post Office charge an administration fee on top of that, for collecting it. Better to buy within the EU, if possible.

I like the look of those Spanninga lights, but I've not found a UK supplier, so one probably has to buy from across the Channel.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

SimonF

« Reply #51 on: 15 September, 2010, 01:11:35 pm »
Some good offers (upto 50% off) on Cateye rears here at the moment. Just ordered a TL610, and they also stock the carrier mount bracket.

Rear Lights - Bike Lights from CycleExpress.co.uk

« Reply #52 on: 15 September, 2010, 01:19:19 pm »
Ooh, I've found one for less than ten złoty (that's about, ooh, a little over two quid!) It is (theoretically) in a shop 30km from me. Sporti.pl - Sklep Sportowo - Rowerowy / Karta produktu Probably crap, but at that price might even be worth a ride!
Does poland still use the infamous zloty? I assumed it was the euro - (forgive laziness re googling but nothing like someone on the ground) - I have memories in communist era Poland of desperately trying to feed zlotys into a payphone to call the UK - the coins were worth so little that I usually got cut off due to insufficient firing rate - should have used a machine gun. A bit off topic maybe I know :)

« Reply #53 on: 15 September, 2010, 01:27:45 pm »
It's better now. 1 current zloty is worth 10000 old (pre-1995) zlotych.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #54 on: 15 September, 2010, 01:28:20 pm »
Yes, it's still the złoty and likely to be for a good few years yet, but it's not the infamous one of the People's Republic. After hyperinflation in the late '80s and early '90s there was a currency reform in, I think, 1996 - one new złoty equal to 10,000 old złoty! - which brought reasonable price stability. When I first got here it was a bit confusing, because all the prices were in new złoty, but some people were still talking in old ones. You spent ten million złoty at the supermarket?  :o  :)

Edit: crossposted with Bledlow. What he said!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #55 on: 15 September, 2010, 01:32:17 pm »
Yes, it's still the złoty and likely to be for a good few years yet, but it's not the infamous one of the People's Republic. After hyperinflation in the late '80s and early '90s there was a currency reform in, I think, 1996 - one new złoty equal to 10,000 old złoty! - which brought reasonable price stability. When I first got here it was a bit confusing, because all the prices were in new złoty, but some people were still talking in old ones. You spent ten million złoty at the supermarket?  :o  :)

maybe I should PM you with recollections of Poland circa 1986 or this thread will go way off topic - from rear lights to currency moves/reshaping of the European map

all the best

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #56 on: 15 September, 2010, 01:35:33 pm »
That might be interesting, thanks! A expect it would be a slightly different view to people's memories that I know.

« Reply #57 on: 15 September, 2010, 08:08:40 pm »
I would have liked a similar spec lamp, i.e. led, battery powered and with an integrated reflector that could be mounted onto a mudguard.   Such a best seems to be non-existent.   Pity.
You mean something like this? Don't know who makes it, it just says that it's made in Holland and used in Batavus bikes. It isn't clear whether it runs on AAs or AAAs - I expect the latter - but it's definitely battery powered and fits on a mudguard. They're selling it for about 6.50, I don't know if they would post it to UK though.

Edit: now with correct link.

Shame those mudguard lights dont seem to be available in the uk

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #58 on: 17 September, 2010, 11:58:15 am »
EDIT: crosspost, I'm guessing you ordered direct from NL? But I can't see any BUY buttons on the Spanninga site ...

The JOS International link at the bottom of the page used to allow international ordering.  I expect that an email to the Spanninga contact page would give you other options.
Well I didn't expect this:

"Spanninga Sales Dept." <sales@spanninga.com>
Add sender to Contacts
To: ...
Dear mr. C,

We sell our lights in the UK under the brandname Bike Hut to the company
Halfords.

I hope this information is helpfull for you.

Spanninga Metaal bV
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #59 on: 17 September, 2010, 03:39:03 pm »
That is unexpected! But unexpectedly good.

Meanwhile I still haven't got myself a light - tempted by the Spanninga Vector or the cheaper Arcus. Or maybe the Axa-Basta Zoom. Can't make up my mind.  ::-) Have decided the D-Toplights are too ugly, though.

« Reply #60 on: 20 September, 2010, 02:27:00 pm »
Except that when one visits the Halfords website, the only Bikehut rear light shown does not fit to a mudguard.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_525149_langId_-1_categoryId_165636

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #61 on: 20 September, 2010, 02:31:33 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if Halfords have more products in the shops than online.  It's that sort of company.

Not that I want to raise hopes too high!
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #62 on: 20 September, 2010, 05:27:35 pm »
And in any case isn't Bike Hut as a brand defunct?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #63 on: 20 September, 2010, 05:28:30 pm »
And in any case isn't Bike Hut as a brand defunct?

Only the BikeHut branded shops, they've reverted to normal Halfords stores now.

The BikeHut brand of cycling stuff is still alive and kicking and being sold in all of the Halfords stores.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #64 on: 20 September, 2010, 06:39:27 pm »
As I was in Halfords today, I did indeed scrutinise their light selection. No sign of the 2 rears I've mentioned here.

I wasn't surprised - I suspect they only import a small fraction of the Spanninga range - but then it's a small-ish store, so there is a glimmer of hope ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #65 on: 20 September, 2010, 06:51:29 pm »
It'll be great if the Spanninga mudguard light was avaliable at Halfords, as long as it's reasonably priced.

I've been wanting to get one for a long time. There was a discussion on the CTC forum where it was mentioned you could buy it online from Jos. However the P&P was over £10, the light itself was well under £10.

« Reply #66 on: 20 September, 2010, 07:44:53 pm »

The Apollo light here used to be available through Chain Reaction (or maybe wiggle) for some crazy price, something nbetween £3 and £7 rings a bell.

At least as good as the german product in my view.

Us Lewisham Cyclists know a guy who bought loads for his school cycling club.

Very good though the control sequence of off/on/flashing/off forever perplexes me.

http://www.infini.tw/product_flashing_and_safety_lights_2.html

may be available in other markets of course - have seen some of their stuff on sale in Italy.

« Reply #67 on: 20 September, 2010, 07:55:27 pm »
The Apollo light here used to be available through Chain Reaction (or maybe wiggle) for some crazy price, something nbetween £3 and £7 rings a bell.
At least as good as the german product in my view.
Us Lewisham Cyclists know a guy who bought loads for his school cycling club.
Very good though the control sequence of off/on/flashing/off forever perplexes me.
may be available in other markets of course - have seen some of their stuff on sale in Italy.

I bought a couple of these in 2008 from CRC (ain't google mail wonderful) and yes they are very good rack lights, and yes the button control sequence is completely mad.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #68 on: 20 September, 2010, 10:02:12 pm »
Halfords apparently can be good at ordering things for you sometimes, so perhaps it's worth asking about the light in question.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #69 on: 20 September, 2010, 10:17:43 pm »

Oooh! Exactly what I need to replace the dead rear light on my Brompton.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #70 on: 20 September, 2010, 10:56:17 pm »

Got down to 3.99, possibly 2.99.  I bought a few before they went out of stock.  Decent light with an excellent reflector.  Comparable to the B&M stuff.

Short clicks cycle between off/auto/permanently on.  Long clicks toggle between static and flashing.  The auto mode is rubbish.

simonp

« Reply #71 on: 20 September, 2010, 11:00:06 pm »
I tried the Cateye rack mount on my pomp.

Holes wrong spacing.  So used the supplied cable ties.  Light rattles a lot and fell apart twice. Now one of the cable ties has snapped.

« Reply #72 on: 21 September, 2010, 08:12:25 am »

Holes wrong spacing.  So used the supplied cable ties.  Light rattles a lot and fell apart twice. Now one of the cable ties has snapped.

The cable tie approach to using those mounts seems a bit naff at best.  Luckily all of my mounts have holes with the right spacing, and they are pretty solid mounts when fitted like that.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #73 on: 21 September, 2010, 08:22:10 am »
There seem to be two standard spacings for rack mounts, 5 and 8 cm. Many, but not all, racks simply have two slots in the plate to accommodate both. Some lights let you select which spacing you want to use by eg. inserting bolts into one of two pairs of holes, but with others you have to select the correct model at purchase. There are also racks with a plate which has only two holes fitted vertically above each other (I think Blackburn racks are like this), and others with no mounting plate whatsoever. Some standardisation might be beneficial for us poor users of these items.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #74 on: 21 September, 2010, 09:03:51 am »

The cable tie approach to using those mounts seems a bit naff at best.  Luckily all of my mounts have holes with the right spacing, and they are pretty solid mounts when fitted like that.

I've got a number of the cateye rack mount adaptors. Very good, though they can make removing the light a bit tricky.

Much better than the 'bodge round a tube' approach.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes