Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 417787 times)

Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #2200 on: 24 June, 2019, 01:50:55 pm »
Just entered the Mersey Roads 24 hour TT. I will be riding without any support.

Any advice from those who've experience of riding or supporting others on where best to place my car so I can get to my food and spares with the minimum of faff?

I know there is a HQ and a particular roundabout that gets used, but will one place cover me for all the various circuits over the 24 hours?

Thanks!

I rode it unsupported.  I actually DNF'd so didn't end up using most of it, but what I did was:
- left my car at the start, so I didn't have an extra 25 miles in my legs before starting
- used the unsupported riders tent at Prees for most of my needs - a box of spare bottles, food and warm clothes
- put other bottles and food in a couple of black plastic bags in the verge, one near to shawbirch and another on the finishing circuit.  I reckon that is a better plan than having to go to your car as it should be quicker and you are less likely to get in your car and decide not to get out!

I collected my unused bags up the next morning.  The ones on the finishing circuit were on a good place - going up a hill where I would appreciate a rest. The Shawbirch ones were too well hidden and it took me a while to find them.  I'd have struggled to spot them in the dark, so don't hide them too well!

« Reply #2201 on: 24 June, 2019, 04:37:52 pm »
Won’t bother with a seperate thread but who’s going to the 24 this year ?

I’m doing it again and have acquired a silly hat and some silly overshoe sock thingis 😉

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #2202 on: 24 June, 2019, 06:47:08 pm »
Won’t bother with a seperate thread but who’s going to the 24 this year ?

I’m doing it again and have acquired a silly hat and some silly overshoe sock thingis 😉

I also should know better than to enter it again. What have I done.  :facepalm:
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #2203 on: 24 June, 2019, 09:58:11 pm »
With the Summer Solstice coming and going this weekend I thought I'd have a bash at my very own 24hr TT in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.

This was my first attempt at such a celebration so it wasn't full gas or anything like that, no support, no broom wagon, just a desire to get around as efficiently as I could.

Got some footage from the ride, unlike my usual vlogs I added most of the audio on post-race so I could focus on pushing those pedals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CU7G7dM2ZQ
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

« Reply #2204 on: 26 June, 2019, 10:14:43 am »
Just entered the Mersey Roads 24 hour TT. I will be riding without any support.

Any advice from those who've experience of riding or supporting others on where best to place my car so I can get to my food and spares with the minimum of faff?

I know there is a HQ and a particular roundabout that gets used, but will one place cover me for all the various circuits over the 24 hours?

Thanks!

I'll be riding this event and will have a support crew with a couple of vehicles. Drop me a message but if we meet up at the HQ beforehand they will happily take a bottle and hand up down to Epsley for that first southern stretch and then will also transport a bag back to the finishing circuit for you. I think that they'll be doing similar for a certain Teethgrinder fof this parish. Cheers, Mike  :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2205 on: 26 June, 2019, 07:51:12 pm »
Proper gent ^   :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2206 on: 29 June, 2019, 11:19:18 pm »
YACF day at the races, aka the Breckland 50

Rob did 1:53:37 for 9th place
I did 1:56:10 for 12th place
Pedal Castro DNF'd along with almost half the field.

https://twitter.com/gregmelia/status/1145037807813111809?s=09

rob

« Reply #2207 on: 30 June, 2019, 12:08:55 am »
That was hard. I’m still dehydrated.

My HR averaged 177 for 1h54.

« Reply #2208 on: 30 June, 2019, 12:26:41 pm »
Well done both of you.  Especially Greg to get back to that level so quickly.  We're used to Rob doing fantastic times!

bairn again

« Reply #2209 on: 03 July, 2019, 08:48:13 pm »
I rode my first club TT in <inaudible mumble> last night.  My expectations were limited, anything sub 30 mins would have been ok, I just needed to actually post a time.

In the end i was pleased to get round safely and in 27.40.  Warm up consisted of pumping tyres up and riding 1/4 mile to the start.  I couldnt hang about at the finish but im sure id have been last, nobody else seems to go over 25 mins these days. 

Im on holiday next week up at my mother in laws in Ft William and will take the TT bike with me and ride the Jason McIntyre course a few times. 

Target 1.  Age standard (27.07).  Target 2.  26 mins.

Target 1 achieved tonight 26.51.  Achieved mainly through lowering the front end a bit, warming up properly - half an hour - and being a bit lighter.

Over 42kph ave at the turn, into something of a headwind! 

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #2210 on: 08 July, 2019, 06:35:20 pm »
4:20:32 for 39th in the national 100.  I know it's a slow old dog of a course but I'm really quite disappointed in that.  I was on for about 4:10 - still slower than where I'd like to be - until two thirds distance when the doors fell off.  That means my LTS PB is still a 4:14 from when I was laughably unfit back in 2016.  Hopefully it'll be good enough to get into another event so I can do a less abysmal performance.

« Reply #2211 on: 09 July, 2019, 09:28:47 am »
That's still remarkably fast since you've been off touring and haven't been killing yourself to get into TT shape for the last year.  :thumbsup:

I'm gutted I missed last Tuesday's club TT - the fast course meant that pretty much everyone PBed, but my back was bad so I bottled it and just helped out instead. On talking to some of the riders beforehand, it turns out that the course I set me PB on a few weeks ago is one of the slowest in the county, so there's a lot of time on offer if I get on a fast one.  ::-)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #2212 on: 10 July, 2019, 03:24:06 pm »
I'm trying to figure out how to find a convenient set of TTs within riding distance of central London, but the calendar on the cycling time trials is being very uncooperative. Filtering for events under 'London South'/'North' is dredging up events that are in Cambridge or the South Coast, and it's generally a bit of a mare. Not looking for team events.

Is there a better way to find possible rides? I was told about Lea Valley's tuesday ten races by word of mouth ( http://leavalleycc.co.uk/tuesday-tens/ ) which looks ideal, but they stop on July 23rd.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #2213 on: 10 July, 2019, 03:38:29 pm »
CTT only shows "open" TTs anyway, right? Is it worth seeing if there are any local clubs that run weekly TTs? You can enter the ones around here without being a member just paying a couple of quid extra.

rob

« Reply #2214 on: 10 July, 2019, 03:51:38 pm »
Which way out of London suits you best ?   You might be a bit late for this year as the evening events dry up mid-Summer.

There's a series of 10s in Richmond Park.   If you ride my way (Kent) there's a shared series of evening 10s run by Sevenoaks Tri/Sydenham/Bigfoot all based near to Sevenoaks.   None of these are fast courses but a lot of people cut their teeth riding evening 10s and it's a great place to try things out.

« Reply #2215 on: 10 July, 2019, 04:07:02 pm »

« Reply #2216 on: 11 July, 2019, 04:12:08 pm »
My club, Westerley, organises the Hillingdon ones every other Wednesday over the summer.  But there are only two more left before the end of the series as the nights cut in in August.
We've got a 10 on the Amersham Road from Gt Missenden next Sunday.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #2217 on: 11 July, 2019, 11:56:21 pm »
Which way out of London suits you best ?   You might be a bit late for this year as the evening events dry up mid-Summer.

There's a series of 10s in Richmond Park.   If you ride my way (Kent) there's a shared series of evening 10s run by Sevenoaks Tri/Sydenham/Bigfoot all based near to Sevenoaks.   None of these are fast courses but a lot of people cut their teeth riding evening 10s and it's a great place to try things out.

We can do anywhere within an hour or so's riding distance from c. Parliament, a bit further if it's a weekend.

Cheers for the pointers everyone.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #2218 on: 12 July, 2019, 12:22:58 pm »
FYI here are maps of the CTT regions.  Like you've found, London South extends to the coast.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #2219 on: 12 July, 2019, 06:16:37 pm »

We can do anywhere within an hour or so's riding distance from c. Parliament, a bit further if it's a weekend.

Cheers for the pointers everyone.

Dulwich Paragon have 3 more club 10's on the G10/38, Saturday morning start at 10:45. Next one tomorrow.
PM me if you want more information  :)
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2220 on: 15 July, 2019, 09:52:36 pm »
So tomorrow night is the Evening League Hill Climb event.
It doesn't count for the vet's competition, but I'll ride it anyway.

So I won't be riding the TT bike.
I've stripped the road bike down a bit, and the Brooks saddle is gone!
I've been lent some serious wheels from a cow-orker…

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Lightweight/Meilenstein-Obermayer-Tubular-Schwarz-Edition-Wheelset/7WJJ?co=GBR&cu=GBP&glCountry=GB&id=368779&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpI_tht234wIVhYXVCh2iNQbwEAQYASABEgItb_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&fbclid=IwAR0dA19hp5dZk02nMIBgkFlsGQAKejvrMuxUSnTojBv0MAxYz_AUvlx0X48

20190715_202557 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2221 on: 21 July, 2019, 05:33:42 pm »
Today was the Scottish National Championships 50 TT at Invergordon.

With a 1:58:28, I have finally cracked 2 hours on my 3rd attempt at this distance!

That got me 15th Overall, and 1st in the Hadicapped competition. I haz a crinkly new £20 for my troubles!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2551199454

rob

« Reply #2222 on: 24 July, 2019, 08:26:24 am »
Oh crap I’ve got a 25 coming up.  Not sure I can remember how to do those.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #2223 on: 24 July, 2019, 09:18:52 am »
Ha, good luck!  There's nothing shorter than 50 miles for me this year: I've got one of those the weekend after next before seeing you again at the national 12 the weekend after that.

« Reply #2224 on: 25 July, 2019, 08:58:07 pm »
I'm trying to decide if I want to do a club 10 on a decently quick course or the summer cyclocross. I suspect the cyclocross would be more fun, but if I want to go under 27 minutes this year, it's this one or a proper CTT Open in a couple of weeks (not done one of them before). I started messing about with aerolab a couple of weeks ago and that really dispirited me about TTing - it seems I'm about as aero as a barn door.
In theory that should be easy to improve, but... I'll probably stick the super low stem on and give it a go, there's not much else I can do in the short term.