Author Topic: My first 24...should I?  (Read 3516 times)

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
My first 24...should I?
« on: 04 June, 2015, 10:53:30 am »
I recently noticed that my club doesn't have a current 24h record, as it is a merger between older clubs and all the records were reset 15 years ago. I also noticed that I have a free weekend on 18/19 July, so I am thinking of riding the Mersey Roads 24.

What advice does the panel have for someone who has never done one before, or any TT over 50 miles come to that?

I was thinking of setting myself a very modest 500km minimum target, with a more challenging upper schedule as yet to be determined. I will have a support team to hand up bottles, food, etc.

Re: My first 24...should I?
« Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2015, 10:06:51 am »
Refresh the batteries in your HRM.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2015, 10:33:43 am »
Read my report on my last one, as I tried to put a fair amount of this sort of information in it.  Also have a look at the history and nostalgia section on TTF as they have lots of old scanned copies of Cycling Weekly with reports on 24s of yore.

Try to do a 100 mile TT earlier in the season,as that will give you some idea of how you cope riding non-stop at speed for a long distance, how your body absorbs food and how you cope with your position on the bike. 

Between now and then, spend lots of time in the tri-bars.

Aim for a bigger target distance, as these things are a lot faster than audaxes.

Enjoy

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 05 June, 2015, 10:57:20 am »
Make sure you can read your speed through the night (backlit screen or whatever) as it is very easy to slow down without noticing. Make sure your bike is recognisable by your support crew after dark, otherwise hand ups are difficult. Practising handups before the event and preparing a schedule (will add lights and clothes for the evening around this time at this location) will save confusion. Pack the car in such a way as to make it easy for your crew to look after you.

I aimed for 500km in my only 24hr, got 600km and could have gone further, except for brain/ determination fade.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 06 June, 2015, 06:11:23 pm »
here is just 4 pages of the many discussions from previous years https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=82953.msg1717076#msg1717076

Good luck!

(p.s. any SR can do 500km eeeeeeasily if they pace for it and nothing goes wrong. Unsupported with no aero bits.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Pedal Castro

« Reply #5 on: 13 June, 2015, 10:29:57 am »
Thanks for the replies, some food for thought, no time for a 100 but I could probably plough up and down a local 10 course 10 times when I get my new bike to get a feel for aerobars

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #6 on: 13 June, 2015, 04:32:40 pm »
I wish I had done a 100 in the lead up to my one and only 24 (so far!).  I used the aero bars quite a lot on various audax rides (of up to 300km) and it's just not the same. 

You need to be comfortable sat using the aerobars for much longer periods of time than is generally possible on typical audax roads (compared to TT main roads etc.).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2015, 11:40:52 am »
I did the Mersey Roads 24 in 2006 and it was such a 'defining' experience that I've only ridden more than 50 miles in a day on about 10 occasions since...

Here's a distillation of my dubious wisdom hindsight:

* Hydrate but don't over-hydrate.  The 2006 race was one of the hottest days I've ever experienced in the UK and I drank so much in the morning that I spent a huge portion of the evening and night peeing.  It would have been really useful to have mastered the art of 'going on the go'.

* Don't start too fast.  I set off well inside the kind of effort that I'd done my one and only 12-hour at.  I got through 100 miles in 4:35, and I caught and passed the eventual silver medallist Neil Skellern around that time...

* Really get used to whatever it is that you intend to eat.  I ate mostly tinned rice pudding and fruit, bread pudding and drank Allsports Winter Training Formula, but I really craved savoury stuff.  My nutrition strategy went completely belly-up and, although I never hit the wall, I was copiously sick on several occasions.  :sick:

* Practise doing bottle hand-ups.

* Try to get hold of a spare number so that you can put it on your night top - saves faffing about with safety pins.

* Make sure that you are recognisable to your support team and that they are recognisable to you (it sounds obvious but it's easier said than done in the night-time).

* Make sure your lights are fully charged and that your Garmin thingy works if you want to have a record of your ride.

* Ibuprofen.

* Dry socks and spare shoes.

* Big jerry can.

* Talk to your fellow riders.  I was going through a bad spell on the Quina Brook circuit (it's horrible) but a couple of minutes riding alongside a lad from Farnborough and Camberley CC really lifted my spirits.

* Let some air out of your tyres for the Quina Brook circuit.  They might have resurfaced it in the past nine years, but to me it was like being repeatedly kicked between the legs.  :hand:

* Make sure your supporters have lots of spare wheels for you.  A spare bike is good, too.

* If you need to sleep, ask your supporters to wake you up after 2 minutes - NO MORE.  It's amazing how refreshing just the tiniest bit of shut-eye is.

* Allow your supporters to sort out their own rota for helping you - it is much too much to expect a single person to provide support on their own.  I was lucky enough to have my parents, my brother and a 24-hour-experienced friend, who took the night shifts in pairs.  Because my folks aren't really the type for sleeping in bus shelters, they booked a Travelodge room in Shrewsbury, and when they left in the small hours of the morning, Matt and Mike took over from them.  :thumbsup:

* You'll have good patches and bad patches.  I wanted someone to just put me out of my misery in the middle of the night, but once the sun came up I got a second wind and was lapping the finishing circuit at 22 mph or so.

Most of all, enjoy it and, if you ever do a second one, make sure you've learnt from your experience.  I would do so many things differently...

- Tim

Pedal Castro

« Reply #8 on: 02 July, 2015, 10:57:02 pm »
OK, aerobars now fitted and ready for some practice. Now what tyres? I am thinking latex tubes and Ultremo 23mm tyres...

« Reply #9 on: 03 July, 2015, 09:18:51 am »
25mm for extra comfort and negligible reduction in speed.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #10 on: 03 July, 2015, 09:21:56 am »
I'd probably go 25 as well.

I say probably - I did - 25mm Conti GP4000s II - they were fast and comfortable for the 24.

Latex tubes should be okay if you are supported and can have your crew pump them up a couple of times. 
Right! What's next?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #11 on: 03 July, 2015, 09:24:41 am »
Yebbut pumping up tubes means stopping!  Use normal butyl tubes and lightish road tyres (Michelin Pro Race, Conti GP4000, Vittoria Open Corsa etc) in whichever size fits your rims best. 

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #12 on: 03 July, 2015, 09:29:07 am »
True - but on the assumption the OP will spend 3-4 minutes off the bike once or twice, then the crew should be able to get the latex tubes back up to pressure.
Right! What's next?

Pedal Castro

« Reply #13 on: 03 July, 2015, 10:06:08 am »
I 25mm Conti GP4000s II - they were fast and comfortable for the 24.

Those were my second thoughts so they have now been promoted to first choice. I don't currently have any so I'll need to buy some fairly sharpish.

Latex tubes should be okay if you are supported and can have your crew pump them up a couple of times.

How quickly do they lose pressure? Obviously I will need my crew to pump them up at least once, I was thinking of two stops for a quick sit down, leg rub, light fix and tyre pump.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #14 on: 03 July, 2015, 10:25:15 pm »

How quickly do they lose pressure? Obviously I will need my crew to pump them up at least once, I was thinking of two stops for a quick sit down, leg rub, light fix and tyre pump.

when i tested out latex tubes they lose about 30psi in a full day, so will definitely need pumping once, maybe twice

simonp

« Reply #15 on: 06 July, 2015, 04:14:02 pm »
Crew? ???

Pedal Castro

« Reply #16 on: 06 July, 2015, 07:07:38 pm »
Crew? ???

My daughter and her boyfriend. She is a doctor so should be able to help as I die a slow death in the second half...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 06 July, 2015, 07:33:50 pm »
OK, aerobars now fitted and ready for some practice.
What's the rush? You've got 3 weeks yet - how long can it take to get used to a whole new position?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles