In the lounge - nothing comes between me and Eastenders
7 (10.1%)
In the kitchen
4 (5.8%)
In the garage
24 (34.8%)
In the bedroom
9 (13%)
Turbo? Pah! What's a little ice anyway - you're not a real cyclist until you've broken at least one collar bone
11 (15.9%)
Somewhere else...
14 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Turbo Training  (Read 10544 times)

essexian

Re: Turbo Training
« Reply #50 on: 06 November, 2013, 09:56:58 am »
In my office (I work at home) approximately 1m away from my desk.... the idea is that I can jump on and do a quick ride when I get stressed or bored. It was in the garage along with the running machine and rowing machine but hell, its cold in there in the winter so never got used.

I moved it on Saturday and have used it three times so far, so the plan seems to be working.  ;D (Just hope no one from work phones while I am in mid ride as why I am panting away might be hard to explain!)

« Reply #51 on: 06 November, 2013, 10:04:39 am »
It’s well known that 16 C is the optimal air ambient temperature for human operation. The Office, shops and Railway premisis Act had this and it continues.
Coincidentally, it is within half a degree C from  half way between Neutral Skin Temperature and the freezing point of water. No connection AFAIK.

Operating in an air ambient different from this increases stress on the system. Lower is safer than hotter as one can go cycling in sub zero down to minus 10 and keep reasonably comfortable, but riding in 40 C could be fatal.

Garage temperatures in the UK might go sub zero to -5 C or so. Enjoy it when it comes.

Get a big fan to blow the chilled air across you so windchill freezes off the fat.

LEE

« Reply #52 on: 06 November, 2013, 10:05:44 am »
I sweat buckets in the garage, when it's below freezing in there.  I have no idea how you can use a turbo trainer indoors without passing out with heat exhaustion or causing a damp problem in the house.

« Reply #53 on: 06 November, 2013, 10:40:53 am »
Who is Kurt Kinetic's UK agent?

Me wants one.

Evan's !!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Chris S

« Reply #54 on: 06 November, 2013, 10:56:00 am »
I sweat buckets in the garage, when it's below freezing in there.  I have no idea how you can use a turbo trainer indoors without passing out with heat exhaustion or causing a damp problem in the house.

I used mine indoors, but in quite a cool room and with a BFO fan blasting straight at me. It was too bloody hot though - even then, and I think it did contribute to damp walls in that room.

« Reply #55 on: 06 November, 2013, 12:30:30 pm »
This is off the Kurt Kinetic website…
Try It Yourself
Figure out your Functional Threshold Power. Be sure your body is rested, this is like a short race effort. Allen and Coggan's protocol is as follows:
1.   20 minutes easy warm up
2.   3 x 1-minute wind ups with a minute rest between (100 RPM pedal cadence)
3.   5 minutes easy
4.   5 minutes all out (hard at first, but not so hard that you can't complete the effort)
5.   10 minutes easy
6.   20-minute time trial effort (like the previous 5-minute all out effort, keep in control, hard but steady, you don't want to over cook it and die at the end)
7.   10 to 15 minute cool down.

Allen and Coggan like to receive cash sums for this information.

« Reply #56 on: 06 November, 2013, 01:22:35 pm »
It’s well known that 16 C is the optimal air ambient temperature for human operation. The Office, shops and Railway premisis Act had this and it continues.

Thats the minumum temperature, and should be reached within 1 hour of starting work. It's not stated as optimal. There is of course no maximum stipullated.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #57 on: 06 November, 2013, 06:11:03 pm »

Thats the minumum temperature, and should be reached within 1 hour of starting work. It's not stated as optimal. There is of course no maximum stipullated.

Yes, it is the minimum. But you have to remember employers pay for the heating.

The physical training manual I have suggests 16 C as a room temperature. If anyone wants it hotter, you pay for the heating  ;)