Author Topic: [HAMR] A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker  (Read 119946 times)

[HAMR] A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker
« on: 26 February, 2016, 09:53:32 pm »

Via Jacquie Schlitter-

"It's official. Amanda Coker's HAMR application is on its way. I cannot wait to see what Alicia Searvogel and Amanda have in store for us this year. I wholeheartedly support both of them in their endeavors and hope this will inspire more women to get out and push their limits. 2 delightfully determined women, 2 very different age groups represented. I can't wait and I hope to ride many miles with both of them throughout the next year."

crowriver

• Крис Б
Re: A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker
« Reply #1 on: 26 February, 2016, 10:08:03 pm »
Aye, just saw this in the Ultracycling Fb group.

Looks like The Year is taking off as a new challenge for cyclists...
Embrace your inner Fred.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2016, 10:40:51 am »
Allez Amanda!
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 27 February, 2016, 10:42:41 am »
Looks like The Year is taking off as a new challenge for cyclists...
It's the new LEJOG !
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4 on: 09 March, 2016, 12:55:54 pm »
From her Gofundme ($800 of $6,000 raised so far) page:

This year I will be bicycling in an attempt to set/break the Women's Highest Annual Mileage Record (HAMR)!

For 365 days I will be cycling in an effort to break the 78 year old world record. The record was set by Billie Dovey in 1938 at a total of 29,603.7 miles.

I will be attempting to break the world record starting in the month of April 2016. This challege came to my attention after several fellow cyclists mentioned that I should go for the world record.

The reason for setting up this page is to help with the costs of daily essentials and any unforeseen costs associated with my HAMR attempt.

A little bit about me:
First of all, I LOVE cycling! It all began at the age of 15 when my parents got me my first road bicycle. From that point on cycling has been a major aspect in my life. After racing and training for a couple years, in 2010 I competed in my first Juniors Road Cycling Nationals, gaining a whole new love for the sport. After a lot of hard work, I was offered and accepted a cycling scholarship to college. The month before college started, I began suffering a litany of misfortune that continued over a span of years. Resulting in:
Two seperate reconstructive shoulder/clavicle surgeries, spinal surgery, PFO closure heart surgery, closed Traumatic Brain Injury, and several other injuries. Unfortunately these events kept me from returning to college, being on the cycling team, and competing in races. 

This past summer (in an attempt to put all my bad luck behind me), I successfully rode my bicycle from Florida to California in 32 days of riding. During my cross country trip I rekindled my love for cycling again and have continued to keep the fire burning! Since, I have become a part of the Ultra Marathon Cycling Association and recently completed my first ultra cycling race, which validated my disire to go for the world record. So, wheels are rolling and here I go!

Any donation will be greatly appreciated and put to good use. Thank you for reading my story and feel free to follow along with my year long endeavor!

Thank you for your time and support!

-Amanda Coker

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #5 on: 09 March, 2016, 04:35:38 pm »
Thanks for posting that. Is there any other way to get funds to Amanda? Having looked at their privacy (ha!) policy I'm not touching gofundme with a twenty foot mile pole.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #6 on: 09 March, 2016, 11:42:39 pm »
Having looked at their privacy (ha!) policy I'm not touching gofundme with a twenty foot mile pole.

Didn't look that offensive. They set cookies; they'll send you junk (but you can opt out); they'll share your data with other parts of the business or with partners to provide the service; they'll flog aggregated user data to the highest bidder. So far, so standard - and if all you're doing is sending someone a fiver, your footprint with them will be pretty small.

Post on their forums or share your facebook details, and that's a different ballgame - but if all you're doing is sending someone a fiver, why would you do anything more?

SoreTween

« Reply #7 on: 10 March, 2016, 09:49:28 am »
It was the part where they help themselves to all your contacts in any device you log in from that put me off. Didn't read beyond that.

« Reply #8 on: 10 March, 2016, 10:12:30 am »
It was the part where they help themselves to all your contacts in any device you log in from that put me off. Didn't read beyond that.

Do you mean this:

Mobile Device Address Book: The Services may also collect the Personal Data relating to third parties stored in your mobile device address book, including without limitation email addresses and phone numbers. Depending on your mobile device operating system, the Services may request your permission to access such Personal Data.

That is a bit intrusive.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

SoreTween

« Reply #9 on: 10 March, 2016, 10:22:31 am »
Yep.  May != Will. No mention down to that point what they do with all those names, phone nos & addresses either.  Would all my contacts start getting spam along the line of 'One of your friends supported xx xx xx, would you like to too?'.

If anyone has a PayPal address for Amanda ping a pm please.

« Reply #10 on: 10 March, 2016, 12:07:46 pm »
Don't use a "mobile device" then. Seems simple enough.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #11 on: 10 March, 2016, 01:55:37 pm »

If anyone has a PayPal address for Amanda ping a pm please.

She's working on setting one up right now. I'll PM you once she's finished.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #12 on: 10 March, 2016, 02:23:41 pm »
May != Will.

I assume you mean == rather than !=

Quite different meanings.  But I agree that this clause is pretty noxious.

« Reply #13 on: 11 March, 2016, 01:11:43 am »

Do you mean this:

Mobile Device Address Book: The Services may also collect the Personal Data relating to third parties stored in your mobile device address book, including without limitation email addresses and phone numbers. Depending on your mobile device operating system, the Services may request your permission to access such Personal Data.

That is a bit intrusive.

Indeed. For some reason I'd completely missed that when I had a look. (Probably too busy being a smart-arse to read it properly. Bah.)

I presume, though, that it's the mobile app which does so, and that you're only likely to be installing the app if you want to raise funds yourself, in which case allowing it to automagically generate emails to all your contacts *may* be something you actually want it to do.

I'd be a little cross if merely using the website to send someone a fiver from my phone resulted in all my contacts being swiped - but I'd be at least as cross at my device manufacturer as at Gofundme.

SoreTween

« Reply #14 on: 11 March, 2016, 01:20:08 pm »
I assume you mean == rather than !=

Quite different meanings.  But I agree that this clause is pretty noxious.
No.  I meant may is not equal to will so there's no assurance at all permission will be sought.

« Reply #15 on: 12 March, 2016, 02:12:32 pm »
For you users of Facebook, here's a link to Amanda's FB HAM'R page. She wanted to post it here herself, but for some reason her YACF registration has yet to be approved-

https://www.facebook.com/goamandacoker/?fref=ts

« Reply #16 on: 12 March, 2016, 08:53:08 pm »
Good luck Amanda, Facebook page joined  :thumbsup: 8)
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #17 on: 14 March, 2016, 08:35:12 pm »
Hello everyone! Amanda Coker here. I just wanted to say hi and thank you for beginning to follow and support my year long endeavor. Looking forward to discussing cycling with you all!  :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #18 on: 14 March, 2016, 08:57:20 pm »
Hi and welcome. 
Looking forward to following your exploits.   :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19 on: 15 March, 2016, 06:57:50 am »
Hi Amanda. Good to see you here.  Best  of luck in your endeavour.
Getting there...

« Reply #20 on: 15 March, 2016, 07:24:27 am »
 :thumbsup:   Yes!

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #21 on: 29 March, 2016, 06:59:10 am »
Hello everyone! Amanda Coker here. I just wanted to say hi and thank you for beginning to follow and support my year long endeavor. Looking forward to discussing cycling with you all!  :thumbsup:

Good luck Amanda  :thumbsup:

H

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #22 on: 29 March, 2016, 07:11:45 am »
Good to see another participant in the HAMR. It's getting quite popular! Good luck, Amanda.

« Reply #23 on: 28 April, 2016, 11:36:01 am »
Any news on this attempt ?
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #24 on: 28 April, 2016, 12:04:38 pm »
Her Gofundme page says she would be starting this month. But it's only raised $800 so maybe money is an issue.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)