Author Topic: Dealing with wheat intolerance  (Read 1839 times)

Dealing with wheat intolerance
« on: 06 December, 2017, 10:37:59 am »
Number 1 son has suffered from wheat intolerance since, we believe, he had an emergency appendectomy whilst at uni.  It is not gluten intolerance as he can tolerate gluten from other places but reacts to wheat products that are gluten free.

He is very good at avoiding wheat but was badly affected this weekend following a meal out.  What could he take to reduce the symptoms of stomach cramps and diarrhea?

Thanks

Re: Dealing with wheat intolerance
« Reply #1 on: 06 December, 2017, 10:51:29 am »
Wheat products that are gluten free? My wife is coeliac, so I'm used to looking for GF/wheat free food. The only one I can think of is GF beer, which is treated afterwards (and is generally pretty bad).
Some restaurants are good at dealing with gluten free foods, but some are really bad - maybe his meal was just contaminated?

« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2017, 10:59:14 am »
- maybe his meal was just contaminated?

Well it originally came with a yorkshire pudding on top!   :facepalm:

« Reply #3 on: 06 December, 2017, 11:24:02 am »
Sure he doesn't have FODMAP intolerance?
https://www.gluten.org/resources/health-wellness/gluten-sensitivity-and-fodmaps/

I've been on a wheat-free diet for over 20 years, ever since a gastroenterologist in a hospital concluded that was my problem.
Some of the 'gluten free' foods include fairly exotic sources of protein that give me chronic stomach cramps.

I recommend *avoiding* BFree foods

Of the gluten-free products, Dr Schar bread is the safest and I haven't had any problems with any of the supermarket brands of pasta.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 06 December, 2017, 11:35:14 am »

A quick read of that link would indicate that, no he does not.  Yes Dr Schar is well known to us.

What I am after is a recommendation for a medicine/herbal type thing that will reduce the pain and discomfort after he has eaten wheat.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 06 December, 2017, 12:10:21 pm »
What I am after is a recommendation for a medicine/herbal type thing that will reduce the pain and discomfort after he has eaten wheat.

IANAD but Buscopan (hyoscine butylbromide) is good for abdominal cramps from IBSy conditions.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2017, 12:46:49 pm »
Russell, I've messaged you.

« Reply #7 on: 06 December, 2017, 12:53:35 pm »
A hot water bottle at one's stomach is pleasant if one has stomach cramps.

« Reply #8 on: 06 December, 2017, 01:03:56 pm »

A quick read of that link would indicate that, no he does not.  Yes Dr Schar is well known to us.

fennel helps, ime
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 06 December, 2017, 01:33:27 pm »
Peppermint oil/tea/water/sweeties?

Colpermin is medical peppermint for IBS.

Peppermint teais cheap and easily available.

« Reply #10 on: 06 December, 2017, 02:14:36 pm »
Despite it's reputation as a calming agent, peppermint is a stomach irritant. I had to stop drinking herb teas with peppermint in, as it made my gerd worse.

Fennel and ginger help more, particularly fennel.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 06 December, 2017, 05:15:44 pm »
Yeah, the other problem with peppermint is that it mings, and it contaminates the entire Lesbian Tea Cupboard and probably half the kitchen with its mintiness.   :hand: