Author Topic: BRM 1200 Ronde Aliénor d'Aquitaine 2018.  (Read 5726 times)

Re: BRM 1200 Ronde Aliénor d'Aquitaine 2018.
« Reply #25 on: 16 January, 2018, 09:34:29 am »
Tried to register for this today and it seems that you need a medical certificate (no more than 3 months old) to be able to register unless you have a licence which all seem to be french related.I am a member of AUK and BCF but seems they don't count

I thought we had moved away from that as per the way PBP used to be.

Does anyone know why they have such rules?

Robert

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26 on: 16 January, 2018, 09:55:30 am »
Possibly because of FFCT insurance for French BRMs while PBP has its own insurance policy? I'm just speculating though; I have no actual knowledge about this.

It used to be that having a BC racing licence (as opposed to just a BC membership) sufficed but that method might have been closed too.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #27 on: 16 January, 2018, 10:19:41 am »
I told them I was AUK member and they accepted that.
I attached a pdf screenshot of my AUK membership details.

« Reply #28 on: 16 January, 2018, 12:27:15 pm »
Hey Rich

Thanks for that tip, sent off the entry now just waiting for confirmation that "my permission slip" has been accepted

See you there hopefully

« Reply #29 on: 18 January, 2018, 09:34:14 pm »
Possibly because of FFCT insurance for French BRMs while PBP has its own insurance policy? I'm just speculating though; I have no actual knowledge about this.

It used to be that having a BC racing licence (as opposed to just a BC membership) sufficed but that method might have been closed too.

The FFCT system has been completely ballsed up/overhauled this year with a 3 tier licencing system and medical certificates required for the upper two tiers. Theoretically there is still no requirement for the production of medical certificates for entering FFCT rules events for non-FFCT members but organisers are at liberty to make their own rules on this point. The FFCT are putting the "blame" for this on the government imposing changes and the insurers demanding it but the real reason may be in the introduction of a "sportive" tier licence (which doesn't actually insure licence holders for competing in sportive events!) to try and entice people away from UFOLEP. There appears to be no system in place for verifying licences or medical certs for non-members in place which makes the whole thing a bit pointless. It has caused a lot of grief in my club at least and appears to be a way of the Fédé shooting itself in the foot, probably will lose more than it gains.

« Reply #30 on: 19 January, 2018, 01:44:53 pm »
Hi Mzjo

Thanks for a bit more clarification on the reasoning behind the decision.

I suppose for me it's just the frustration of what is a pointless exercise, even if I did get a medical (from my overstretched NHS practice) what does it prove other than at some random point in my life a doctor deemed me fir enough to participate in an event which they would be unlikely to have any idea of the physical effort involved.

It's a bit more than a "couch to 5k" get fit regime.

I will get my own insurance for the trip so should be covered enough to keep the organisers happy (I hope :) )

Just need to work out the logistics of getting from the airport to the start location with a bike bag in tow.....any suggestions for Bordeaux airport anyone?

Robert

« Reply #31 on: 21 January, 2018, 05:24:30 pm »
Hi Mzjo

I suppose for me it's just the frustration of what is a pointless exercise, even if I did get a medical (from my overstretched NHS practice) what does it prove other than at some random point in my life a doctor deemed me fir enough to participate in an event which they would be unlikely to have any idea of the physical effort involved.

I will get my own insurance for the trip so should be covered enough to keep the organisers happy (I hope :) )

Just need to work out the logistics of getting from the airport to the start location with a bike bag in tow.....any suggestions for Bordeaux airport anyone?

Robert

This is not the right place (I think) to discuss the FFCT and medical certs but the way the FFCT is going it would appear that, for french events at least, medical certificates will become unavoidable at some time in the next few years. They are already required for all non-licence holders for pretty much all FFC and UFOLEP rules sportives (and a lot of randonnées) and the FFCT seems to be going down the same path. To what extent foreign entrants will be excused this is uncertain.

As a rule if the organiser wants a medical certificate for entrants not licenced with his federation he should declare it in his publicity and inscription form. If he doesn't declare it he shouldn't have any excuse for refusing entrants without one. This is already the case with UFOLEP. He may not declare derogations for overseas entrants though - that may be open to negotiation!

« Reply #32 on: 21 January, 2018, 08:23:43 pm »
Hi Mzjo

Robert

Bordeaux airport is at Mérignac which is on the west side of the city. Le Haillan is AFAIK on the east side and outside city limits so it is a bit of a trek across the city, which I have never done, having always been in a car using the ring motorway. It should be doable though it involves crossing the Gironde somewhere. Bordeaux Lac vélodrome is just up the road from the airport.

guidon

• formerly known as cyclone
« Reply #33 on: 06 February, 2018, 07:43:56 pm »
Sorry Mzjo Le haillan is west (well north of méringnac)....plus the HQ this time is in St.Medard en Jalles....