Author Topic: Zefal HPX discontinued?  (Read 7957 times)

Re: Zefal HPX discontinued?
« Reply #25 on: 20 January, 2023, 04:58:01 pm »
I have changed over to Topeak Turbo Morph (G) on all my audax ready bikes, capable up to 160psi allegedly but really suits higher volume tyres.

For the summer toys with 23mm tyres I have the Topeak Road Morph G pumps (plus the gauge dismantled, added coloured lines so I can see the target pressure and recalibrated).

Both are mini floor pumps with flexihoses which get on well with all the valves I have ever used them on. I fix mine to the non drive side seat stay on most bikes.

While I fully endorse the Topeak Morphs (I also use them on my audax bikes, best compact pump to get your tyres up to 6-7 bar), they are not very durable. After a couple of years of being attached to a bike frame gathering mud, you can no longer get an airtight connection with the valve. If you use them, check regularly if they still work and replace/repair when necessary.

« Reply #26 on: 20 January, 2023, 05:21:49 pm »
My ancient hpX4 is still going strong, but reckon I prefer my Road Morph G* - attached either to underside of TT, or to side of bottle cage.

*Currently £22 on ChainWiggle

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 20 January, 2023, 05:41:29 pm »
Zefal doesn't have the HPX on their website, in fact they don't have any frame fit pumps at all. Retailers only seem to have the size 3 in stock and a few days ago I noticed the price is now about £20-22, normally about £26-£30. Are they now selling off any remaining stock at a reduced price?

Anyhow I just got one for £18. OK I know most people use a mini pump now but the HPX is still a classic so get one while you still can!

Yes you can still get a secondhand one after they're all sold but it's just not as convenient.
%##* >:( +£&## :demon: *%# 💀ಠ_ಠ
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #28 on: 20 January, 2023, 08:55:37 pm »
The HPX is designed to fit frames without pump pegs. Obviously it would be the type of frame from when the pump was introduced, ie a "conventional" steel frame with "standard" diameter tubes.

I put my HPX along the seat tube (52-53cm steel frame with horizontal top tube) so no need for pump pegs.

Also can fit under the top tube if a frame has a head tube that is short enough.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #29 on: 20 January, 2023, 09:07:04 pm »
I have mine under the top tube on a frame with no pegs. I didn't use the seat tube because I have a bottle there. It fits fine and stays put until the first bump, so I have it fastened with a couple of small Voile straps, which also give the opportunity for colour coordination.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #30 on: 21 January, 2023, 06:45:56 am »
I think frame pumps are a niche thing. A few years back tried several local cycling shops and just kept getting pointed at mini pumps that clip into a bracket

My Thorn club tour has pump bracket, got frame second hand so not sure on age but at least 10 years I'd guess

Captain Nemo

• Defence de profundis
« Reply #31 on: 28 January, 2023, 02:17:50 pm »
Zefal HPX being promoted on page 4 of the latest CTC/Cycling UK comic to drop through my letter box. It links the Chickens website:
www.chickencyclekit.co.uk

Only size 3 (460mm to 500mm) showing in stock  www.chickencyclekit.co.uk/shop/pumps/hpx-black-pump/

« Reply #32 on: 28 January, 2023, 02:33:51 pm »
Was it an advert or an article?

That link has it at the "full" price.

It could be it's a temporary pause in production but it seems to me they have been discontinued. The reason being most people use a mini pump now and that the product's actually too good!

I've just found I had another one in the garage!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #33 on: 28 January, 2023, 03:09:18 pm »
I'd say "advertorial" rather than article. Promoted in the sense of saying it's good, nothing to do with a discounted price. Perhaps eager CTCers have snapped up the other sizes...  :-\

« Reply #34 on: 25 August, 2023, 04:55:15 pm »
Size 3 still available at Spa Cycles.  I’ve ordered a couple of spares. Just revived the current one on the recumbent, with some drops of oil.  The handle sometimes gets stuck compressed, but a quick pull restores that back to working order. I’ve already got a few spares for the pump head.

« Reply #35 on: 26 August, 2023, 07:08:45 am »
Spa Cycles:
now discontinued as the world moves towards mini-pumps and CO2 cylinders,

« Reply #36 on: 29 August, 2023, 01:31:13 pm »
Spa Cycles:
now discontinued as the world moves towards mini-pumps and CO2 cylinders,

Discontinued but they still have stock of size 3 to sell. Adding to basket still works.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #37 on: 29 August, 2023, 01:45:27 pm »
The Topeak Master Blaster is still available, works equally well and has the benefit/drawback of a silly name.

« Reply #38 on: 29 August, 2023, 04:08:26 pm »
A quick check* on the lengths of the Zefal HPX and the Topeak Road Masterblaster would suggest:

Zefal size 1 = Topeak small
Zefal size 2 = Topeak medium
Zefal size 3 = Topeak large
Zefal size 4 = Topeak X-large

*Approx and not scientific.

« Reply #39 on: 29 August, 2023, 05:49:41 pm »
Does the Topeak Masterblaster have a hole in centre of the end of the handle for a headtube frame pump pimple* to locate into?

*whatever they're called.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #40 on: 29 August, 2023, 06:03:28 pm »
Yes
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #41 on: 29 August, 2023, 06:45:12 pm »
In fact, it has one at each end.

« Reply #42 on: 29 August, 2023, 10:33:47 pm »
Does the Topeak Masterblaster have a hole in centre of the end of the handle for a headtube frame pump pimple* to locate into?

*whatever they're called.
Pump peg?

You can diy a pump peg with a zip-tie wrapped around the headtube if your frame doesn't have one (not 100% elegant, but 100% effective imo). Don't forget to cut off the excess zip-tie

« Reply #43 on: 04 September, 2023, 08:23:48 am »
Can't find any HPX here in USAnia, but ...

just made a purchase from Spa Cycles.

They have only size 3.  24 GBP each.