Author Topic: Bacchetta Giro  (Read 7390 times)

Chris N

Bacchetta Giro
« on: 28 March, 2008, 07:31:52 pm »
C'mon then Rich, spill the beans. ;D

The Giro seems to me to be an ideal all-purpose 'bent - successor to the Kingcycle and Speed Ross - and the dual 26" wheeled version looks even better.  It's my choice for a first recumbent - if only I could afford one.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Re: Bacchetta Giro
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2008, 07:45:12 pm »
 ;D

Went over to Kevins today to have a go on some bikes.
I currently have a Giro 20 (on loan), took it out for a ride and it's really easy to get used to.

Had a go on a corsa 24, excellent bike and really fast exceleration. No good for me on audax rides though with the narrow tyres and my weight.
An Optima condor 26, didn't like this at all as I could hardly touch the floor and I'm not keen on the U/S steering.
The Stinger was fun but I'd need the open bars on that as the tiller get's stuck on my belly ::)

I have loan of the 20 until Kevin gets a 26 in in a few weeks.
It will be trying it out on the 400 tomorrow and hopefully get round in a decent time, either way it will be easier than doing it on the trike.

Rich.

« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2008, 08:19:48 pm »
;D

Went over to Kevins today to have a go on some bikes.
I currently have a Giro 20 (on loan), took it out for a ride and it's really easy to get used to.

Had a go on a corsa 24, excellent bike and really fast exceleration. No good for me on audax rides though with the narrow tyres and my weight.
An Optima condor 26, didn't like this at all as I could hardly touch the floor and I'm not keen on the U/S steering.
The Stinger was fun but I'd need the open bars on that as the tiller get's stuck on my belly ::)

It will be trying it out on the 400 tomorrow and hopefully get round in a decent time, either way it will be easier than doing it on the trike.

Looks like we'll only be speaking at the start of rides in the future then Rich  :)

I  was looking at the Bacchetta site the other night and found it quite interesting that the 24 Corsa [Ali frame] weighs 25lb and has a weight limit of 230lb, but the Strada [chro-moly frame] also weighs 25lb and has a weight limit of 275lb! Maybe the Corsa is stiffer and hence the acceleration you speak of, but at the end of the day, the Strada or similar has to be a better bet for Audax.

Garry Broad

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2008, 09:36:47 pm »

Rich.

Give us a proper review, once you're done!

richie_b

« Reply #4 on: 29 March, 2008, 09:33:10 pm »
The Giro seems to me to be an ideal all-purpose 'bent - successor to the Kingcycle and Speed Ross - and the dual 26" wheeled version looks even better.  It's my choice for a first recumbent - if only I could afford one.
As a relatively new 'bent rider, I would beg to differ on this point.  Surely the Nazca Fuego is pretty much the ultimate all-round recumbent?  I've had one for about 9 months now & have done lots of hills, some minor off-road stuff, some loaded touring & some flat-out, on the flat riding & it does all of them pretty well.  It can be beaten in each discipline by another bike, but: not by much; and those bikes won't cope as well (or at all) with the other things.  I'm not sure that there's another bike out there that is a better all-purpose, or first bent.  In fact, I'm unconvinced that there's a better all-round bike (upwrong or otherwise) out there at all...
It's also pretty cheap as bents go.
(Usual disclaimer that I have no commercial interest etc, just think it's a pretty amazing bike...)
Sorry to hijack the thread, but wanted to share my thoughts on your opinions...

Chris N

« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2008, 12:39:21 pm »
One of the reasons that I like the Giro 26 is that you can use a Shimano dynamo hub on the front - with 20" wheels you have to use the expensive Schmidt instead.  Simple steel frame, no moving parts, range of seats available.

Not tried on yet, but it's on the list.  I'll look at the Nazca too - thanks for pointing it out.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2008, 01:32:48 pm »
After the first long ride on Saturday I'm really pleased with it. (210km and only the second time I'd been on it)
It handles well, climbs OKish (that will get better as I get used to it) better than the trike (obviously being lighter) I do ache a bit due to not having the seat set up correctly and being in a different position to the trike.

I find the open style steering better and more comfortable than the tiller type low racers, It feels a more relaxed riding style. I've ridden a few lowracers with and without tiller (not very far mind but I've had a PDQ for 3 years) and personally like it better, others will have a different preference obviously.
I was out on it again today and adjusted the seat and bars about 4 times.

It would be a good recumbent to start on as the seat can be set quite upright, it is also interchangable with the euromesh seat which can be laid down further as you get used to the bike.
I was thinking about a lowracer (Baron/Fujin/Fuego etc') but decided on the Bacchetta after riding it and others.
I will be using it for Audax rides and being slightly higher than the others it makes group riding a bit easier and if I ever get the fitness to ride at the front of a group other riders should get a better tow from me than if I was on a low one.

The price is very good at £1200 for the basic Giro reasonably light at 31lb as well, I could have brought the Strada which is 26.5lb, or the Corsa at 23.5lb. But being a heavy bugger I went for the bike which is built more in my weight range.
If I want a faster bike it would be easy to upgrade the wheelset and I plan to get a hub dynamo for it at some point.

It does look very similar to the Kingcycle but why change a brilliant design if it works.

Rich.

Tiger

« Reply #7 on: 01 April, 2008, 05:47:20 pm »
Yes - but were you fast?

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #8 on: 02 April, 2008, 04:11:58 am »
Yes - but were you fast?

Not got a computer on it ;D waiting untill I get one of my own before I put cages and stuff on it.
It did feel fast though ;)

Rich.

richie_b

« Reply #9 on: 02 April, 2008, 08:44:46 am »
One of the reasons that I like the Giro 26 is that you can use a Shimano dynamo hub on the front - with 20" wheels you have to use the expensive Schmidt instead.  Simple steel frame, no moving parts, range of seats available.

Not tried on yet, but it's on the list.  I'll look at the Nazca too - thanks for pointing it out.
The Fuego is a 20/26 & didn't have much in the way of hub dynamo options when I last looked, so may not suit so well...
Worth a look but, looking at your list, goes about things in a different way...
Simple not-too-complex steel frame, no moving parts extremely adjustable frame, range of seats positions available
So not really a like-for-like deal, but still worth a look IMHO...
Have fun choosing