Author Topic: Borders of Belgium 1000 2016  (Read 61294 times)

Re: Borders of Belgium 1000 2016
« Reply #125 on: 06 September, 2016, 07:02:08 pm »
Belgium has
nice GPs
nice pharmacies
terrible road surfaces
beer
not enough hedges

Brilliant.

My feet, arse and hands are all knackered. But I had a brill time, thanks to Rohnny & family for welcoming us so well, and all that organising. D.A.L.E. Deano & ramcityrocker for the tows and to Mr Smith for making it possible. 7am on Thursday morning it didn't look like I was going to start.

Highlights:

Lowlights:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #126 on: 06 September, 2016, 07:08:58 pm »
Anyone know if it's possible to purchase an ACP 1000k medal at this stage?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Chris S

« Reply #127 on: 06 September, 2016, 07:11:16 pm »

Dunno, did you finish on time?  :demon: ;D (Just kidding!).

I'd just email Rohnny - he's a nice chap  :).

« Reply #128 on: 06 September, 2016, 07:13:14 pm »
 :smug:

Definitely worth contacting Rohnny, I'd've thought. He had a stack at the finish for us bling-seekers.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #129 on: 06 September, 2016, 07:28:41 pm »

Dunno, did you finish on time?  :demon: ;D (Just kidding!).

I'd just email Rohnny - he's a nice chap  :).

It's for a friend!

[As it happens, this was probably my "fastest" 1000k+ - but we're only talking by a few minutes; I never have a lot in hand. Then again, I did ride 1023km; I thought GPS was supposed to avoid that sort of nonsense?!? ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #130 on: 06 September, 2016, 07:40:34 pm »
Well done all!

« Reply #131 on: 06 September, 2016, 08:51:23 pm »

« Reply #132 on: 06 September, 2016, 09:45:30 pm »

Kanne by night?

Kaffee Kanne. I remember.

This being my first 1000km I'm so happy I choose this ride as it was just the most rewarding. And I wasn't sure about LEL but I will now ask for holiday next year straight away just to see Rohnny again.

« Reply #133 on: 06 September, 2016, 10:18:32 pm »
That was totally excellent. The support from Rohnny and his family was superb, and the sleep controls were sheerest luxury. Even the first night seemed to have plenty of places to stop - ramcityrocker spotted a roast chicken vending machine, there were loads full of bread, and there was one vending machine in the middle of nowhere which was stocked with fresh fruit and veg, including an entire butternut squash, so Dale dug out his stove and we had some nourishing soup at our bivvy stop.

Dale did threaten to make meringues, but we didn't really have any way to separate the egg white. Later on, we found a strawberry vending machine, and they were the best strawberries ever.

I have loads of photos, here's a random selection:

« Reply #134 on: 07 September, 2016, 12:03:23 am »
I loved the escalator - I don't think even Perrin's thought of that one!

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #135 on: 07 September, 2016, 12:09:13 am »
^^^
Great photo's Deano.
Think I need to invest in a decent "cycling" camera.

I really enjoyed this ride, I wasn't sure what to expect other than flat bit, hilly bit, flat bit.
The first 400 was quite quick, my fastest 300 and 400km to date, but then it was time for the Ardennes.
By the time I got to Florenville I'd had enough, I'd ridden the last 50km alone on quite a challenging section of climbing and the rough roads were doing my head in, I'd also not got any sleep in that first 540km. I'd taken a bivvy bag but only had a brief attack of the dozies earlier in the day but ridden through it.
However, I regrouped with Robyn, Suzannah and Bernie for a pizza then carried on to the sleep control which was superb.
Had a good shower and 4 hours of solid sleep and was raring to go on Saturday morning. Saturday was about 300km with about 3000m of climbing? and I loved it.
The route peaked at about 600m and from there we had some great fast descents and finished the day/night riding along flat canal paths with lots of strange nocturnal stuff going on. People fisting fishing, camping, partying, (pissed people singing and dancing to Meatloaf!) It felt a bit like Apocalypse Now at times.
The final 140km was mostly pan flat canal path but we went through Antwerp which was busy and a bit of a shock to the system but fun dragging the bikes onto an old wooden escalator (lift was broken) down to the tunnel to cross the River Scheldt.
The last section of note was the headwind. Not like anything I've experienced before, no gusts, just fully turned on wind. Weirdly, I enjoyed battling into it for the last 30km.

It was great riding with everybody, Robyn (turning into my usual overseas cycling buddy!) Bernie and Suzannah(Cardiff Ajax), Also Liamo, Fussballclub, MattC, FBOAB and the VC167 guys..Deano, D.A.L.E and Rob...and the Kingston Wheelers guys.
Also good to meet Rohnny again. I first met him on a flat, dark, quiet section of road in Scotland during LEL 2013, I mistook him for somebody I knew and screamed something at him as I TT'd passed him, he was most startled and so was I when I realised my error. We laughed about it later...and still do!  ;D

"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #136 on: 07 September, 2016, 12:10:43 am »
I loved the escalator - I don't think even Perrin's thought of that one!

The lift on the eastern side of Antwerp was broken. Mind you, it was working on the western side, but they all ignored me when I shouted to them.

We did wonder how the velomobiles managed!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #137 on: 07 September, 2016, 06:55:32 am »
Great pics Deano. I suspect AKABob has a slightly better one of me+Phil on the escalators, but we'll see.

Funny how this section of road route hasn't been mentioned much:

Anyone got a good piccie of the "feature" that came just before that??

One thing I couldn't figure out - and forgot to ask People Who Knew - was
where were all the other Back-to-Basics riders?

We had 72 starters. Word was just 20 Pampered entries available (but I think Rohnny expanded this). And yet I hardly spoke to any rider who wasn't on the Full Pampered deal. Is that cos they were all in hotels and riding 6kph faster than me?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #138 on: 07 September, 2016, 10:26:19 am »
Lowlights were few but the headwind back to the Arrivee was hard.

See, I absolutely loved that wind. Felt so euro pro working with a roadie I'd never met before then solo TTing after my group (who turned out to be behind me). I arrived at the finish with one of the biggest shit eating grins I've ever had on the bike, probably only surpassed by the one I had two days before in the Ardennes.

« Reply #139 on: 07 September, 2016, 11:34:21 am »

Anyone got a good piccie of the "feature" that came just before that??

The water feature? Nah, not me. I was just relieved that someone had spotted the bridge!

« Reply #140 on: 07 September, 2016, 11:36:18 am »
Has anyone sent their track to the AAA man to ask about climbing points? I was going to, but there's nae point if someone else has already done it.

« Reply #141 on: 07 September, 2016, 12:35:48 pm »

This feature?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #142 on: 07 September, 2016, 12:44:23 pm »
Ah, Belgium. Comedy off-roading, canals, beer and that tunnel  :thumbsup:

2018, did you say? Hmm...

« Reply #143 on: 07 September, 2016, 12:44:59 pm »
Oh yes, the ford. I didn't see the bridge and couldn't see any mention of the ford on the routesheet. So I backtracked and re-routed onto the main road.

See, I absolutely loved that wind. Felt so euro pro working with a roadie I'd never met before then solo TTing after my group (who turned out to be behind me). I arrived at the finish with one of the biggest shit eating grins I've ever had on the bike, probably only surpassed by the one I had two days before in the Ardennes.

Bairdy was spouting similar sentiments at the arrivee. I genuinely cannot understand such talk: lunacy if you ask me.  :)

« Reply #144 on: 07 September, 2016, 12:55:44 pm »
and the VC167 guys..Deano, D.A.L.E and Rob..
Ah, that stings...  ;)

« Reply #145 on: 07 September, 2016, 01:24:10 pm »
This looks fantastic - am very jealous of all the fun that's been had.

Chris S

« Reply #146 on: 07 September, 2016, 01:42:37 pm »
and the VC167 guys..Deano, D.A.L.E and Rob..
Ah, that stings...  ;)

You'll just have to bloody join, now!  ;D

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #147 on: 07 September, 2016, 07:00:31 pm »
Oh yes, the ford. I didn't see the bridge and couldn't see any mention of the ford on the routesheet. So I backtracked and re-routed onto the main road.

Bairdy was spouting similar sentiments at the arrivee. I genuinely cannot understand such talk: lunacy if you ask me.  :)

I've never ridden in wind quite like it, but it was pan flat and 30km to go, I honestly enjoyed ploughing through it....probably because I wanted to get tucking into the booze at the arrivee!  ;D
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #148 on: 07 September, 2016, 07:37:14 pm »
It was a truly fantastic experience but D.A.L.E.'s shit eating grins were my undoubted highlight - wonderful!

« Reply #149 on: 07 September, 2016, 10:18:09 pm »
It was a great event. I really enjoyed the route. Thanks Rohnny and Co!

I regretted not taking any photos on PBP so made an effort this time: