Author Topic: Gardeners' World - Joe's lottie  (Read 1931 times)

Si

Gardeners' World - Joe's lottie
« on: 12 April, 2008, 12:55:09 pm »
Nice to see that BBC's Gardeners' World is doing allotments in a big way now - their presenter, Joe, taking us through the first steps on his new plot last night.

However, I have to say that if the program is meant to be there to show people how to do stuff then he could get a lot of newbies into trouble.  He might have the knowledge and the time to clear the whole plot in one go but I think that very few newcomers do.....anyone following his tack will just end up killing themselves and not managing to keep on top of things.

And those diamond/triangle beds....I agree with the locals...what's the point of raised beds if you have to put paths across them because they are so big?  I've nothing against diamonds but if he wanted it that shape then why didn't he define the central paths with planking so as to hold the raised earth in place?  Also, it will be interesting to see if it does turn into couch grass city in the summer  :P

And there's something I've never seen before: the council sending a JCB round to scrape off the surface layer.  Wonder how many do that?  Ours certainly doesn't.  They used to do spraying and rotivation but now have started charging for it and apparently the waiting list is endless!

But back to my original comment - well done to GW for doing allotments!