Author Topic: Brompton S6R-X first impressions  (Read 11121 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Brompton S6R-X first impressions
« on: 15 October, 2010, 10:37:24 am »
Looks nice in black with grey Ti bits.

Handlebars looked scary-low, but actually I think I'll be ok with them.  Could always change for riser bars.

Unfolding and folding will take some more practise to be slick enough to be non-embarrassing in public!

Folded, it's heavy for me to lift.  I'll have to buy some dumbells to build my arms up.

First couple of minutes riding: blimey, the steering's incredibly twitchy.  Five mins later I'm used to it already and getting some speed up.  Five more minutes and I'm fairly certain I'll be keeping this bike for the rest of my life.

Started a bit of minor fettling, but didn't fancy checking the bearings just yet after all.  Did remove the wheels to practise and check the tyres...

NO RIM TAPE AT ALL ON THE FRONT!

This doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence that the rest of the bike is assembled properly.  I'll be writing to the MD.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Brompton S-type first impressions
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2010, 06:30:31 pm »
Their rim tape is rubbish anyway 'cos it doesn't fit the current rim profile.  Get 10mm Velox.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2010, 08:56:10 pm »
Yep, have ordered 10mm Velox.  Velox has been my favourite for ages.

Another fun little ride this evening.  Brakes are now creaking though, and oil dripped on is not silencing them.  I think it's the central pivots - that probably need proper servicing.

rogerzilla

« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2010, 09:40:44 pm »
The biggest improvements you can make are SPDs, stubby bar ends and (most importantly) a couple of 25-35mm stainless Jubilee clips around the rear suspension block.  Do that, and it feels like a bike rather than a pogo stick.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2010, 09:59:12 pm »
SPDs: fitted on day one.

Bar ends: I'm not a big fan of, generally, but will think about.  I'd quite like the bars to be slightly narrower - but that would make the steering even more twitchy.

Sus block: already have the Firm version, and think it's ok so far.

rogerzilla

« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2010, 09:59:52 pm »
I bought the firm block as a replacement.  It only needs one Jubilee clip instead of two.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 15 October, 2010, 10:58:20 pm »
Ah, the creaking in the brakes is just the spring ends rubbing.  Fixed with a dab of grease.

« Reply #7 on: 16 October, 2010, 01:06:38 am »
Their rim tape is rubbish anyway 'cos it doesn't fit the current rim profile.  Get 10mm Velox.

I fitted 15mm Velox.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Brompton S6R-X first impressions
« Reply #8 on: 16 October, 2010, 11:12:17 pm »
I'm using ~16mm for now, but 10mm tape should fit neatly in the gutter.  It's lighter as well :D

I had another enjoyable little spin tonight, and also tested it on the Tube.  Headwinds are history! :thumbsup:

I'm realising now why Rog uses Jubilee clips as I'm noticing the boinginess more and more.  My Selle Italia FLX saddle is contributing to it as well.  I'll enjoy the novelty some more before doing anything about it, though.  Good job I didn't get the standard block anyway.

The range and step size of the gears are about as good as 6-speed could be for me (I have the "Lowered" version), and I'm getting the hang of the funny half-step shifting.

The seatpost keeps slipping down, despite tight clamping.  Degreasing better work.

rogerzilla

« Reply #9 on: 17 October, 2010, 08:00:16 am »
Be very careful about adjusting the seat clamp.  It should take minimal finger pressure to close.  Tightening it too much can bend the frame.

To degrease properly you need to take the saddle clamp off the post, drop the post out and clean the inside of the seat tube bush as well as the post.

Contrary to official advice, a new seat tube bush is easily glued in at home (I used some flexible super-bond glue) and doesn't require reaming at all.

Disclaimer: I am using a Ti post which may be less slippy than chrome.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 17 October, 2010, 03:53:44 pm »
Thanks.  I really hope I haven't bent the frame already.  The bike was supplied with the clamp done up very tight, actually.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #11 on: 25 October, 2010, 08:25:32 pm »
I've removed the post and degreased it and the bush.  It's improved, but still slipping by a couple of mm every ten miles.  Not a big deal any more, but would be nice not to have to worry about it at all.  I think mine is polished Al, though I'm not sure it's not Ti.  It's not steel.

I might as well post further minor enquiries here rather than starting new threads........

The metal clip on top of the handlebar catch: what is it for?  Mine doesn't seem to do anything.

rogerzilla

« Reply #12 on: 25 October, 2010, 08:27:25 pm »
It gives the clamp more bite.  Early ones were often beefed up with a zip-tie!

With regard to the slipping post; they may have over-reamed the bush (apparently these are reamed after fitting at the factory).  Ask the dealer to sort it.  Personally, I'd break out the existing bush and glue in a new one; this worked perfectly for me without reaming.  You have to clean all the old glue off the inside of the seat tube and use some sort of resilient superglue.  I got some from Wilko for about £4 rather than the Brompton stuff for £20.  My post slides totally freely yet clamps with surely-that-won't-be-enough finger pressure.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #13 on: 25 October, 2010, 08:33:06 pm »
My metal clip feels loose and slack even when the catch is engaged.  I suppose there could be a problem if/when the plastic wears.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #14 on: 25 October, 2010, 08:35:50 pm »
Thanks for that about the post.  I'll have a think about what to do - after one more degreasing attempt.  Might be easier for me to DIY rather than deal with the dealer.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #15 on: 26 October, 2010, 11:24:30 am »
... they may have over-reamed the bush ...
And straight to NSFW on the first page.
[/Finbar Saunders]
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

rogerzilla

« Reply #16 on: 26 October, 2010, 01:12:46 pm »
You, Sir, have a filthy mind.

(I could have called it a "sleeve" but then rower40 would have paired it with "wizard's" and we'd have the same problem)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #17 on: 28 October, 2010, 09:13:54 pm »
How come no one told me the BB is asymmetric, very? :)  (More sticking out the right side).  This makes finding a lighter replacement even more difficult.

Nevermind, the original is lighter than I feared - 249g - thanks to the plastic cups and body.  That's not bad.  The bearings feel cheap, but then it is a cheap BB.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18 on: 28 October, 2010, 09:22:55 pm »
You didn't ask. If you want to lighten a Brommie, get the relevant A to B magazine. You can replace most of the bolts with Ti or Al but it is quite difficult to get major weight reductions by changing BB, cranks or suchlike.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #19 on: 28 October, 2010, 09:38:23 pm »
Thanks, I'll look into that mag some time.

I've already replaced all the bolts I can reasonably, but can't pretend there's a good grams:£ ratio there.  Yes the chainset is unusually light already, but not very stiff.  (I don't need it any stiffer though).  I've removed the reflectors and chain guard, and replaced the pedals with spuds.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #20 on: 02 November, 2010, 09:38:14 am »
I now have another reason for finding an alternative BB:

A new Stronglight 55 right-hand crank (that I got to have yet a smaller chainring) goes too far up the taper of the original BB even before I fit the bolt.  That seems wrong as the chainset was described as "ISO".  So maybe it would actually fit a JIS BB better?

So suggestions for preferably-lightweight asymmetric JIS* BBs would be gratefully received.  The amount of asymmetry wouldn't be all that critical, just as long as there's a fair amount (on the right-hand side), and I could experiment with two or three different lengths, selling the rejects to help pay for the madness.

* ISO might be ok too if the spindle and taper is long enough.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #21 on: 02 November, 2010, 03:18:21 pm »
I'm now sure this new Stronglight 55 crank is faulty.  The hole is way too large even for JIS let alone ISO - and larger than the left crank's.  I shall be getting it replaced if possible.

rogerzilla

« Reply #22 on: 02 November, 2010, 05:25:40 pm »
Brompton cranks need a very big Q-factor to clear the rear frame when folded.  My experimentation suggests that a Sugino XD double on a 113mm Shimano BB will give clearance, but the ring has to go on the inside of the spider for correct chainline.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #23 on: 09 November, 2010, 03:49:11 pm »
I returned the chainset - for Spa to tell me that the crank is not faulty and only gives the illusion of bottoming out rather than actually bottoming out.

I don't know what to believe, but it doesn't give the right chainline on my Brompton anyway.  That's despite the crank looking identical to the Brompton's (apart from the chainring and lack of pedal recess).

I'm not keen on the chainset being much heavier, so I'll stick with the original 44T for the time being - and will accept that the Brompton is not the ideal bike for the Chiltern Hills!

I wouldn't have a problem folding my bike if the Q was quite a few mm less, but I need the current Q (pref a bit more) for my ankles to clear the EazyWheels.  Less duck-footed people could get away with less.  I bet the Brompton designers are pigeon-toed.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #24 on: 09 November, 2010, 05:25:16 pm »
Are your eazywheels wide ones or narrow ones?

I don't know if Brompton switched to narrow wheels, or if they are still an option.

[by narrow wheels, I mean these)
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!