Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2930807 times)

Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #21900 on: 29 October, 2019, 07:21:35 pm »
Has anyone got any LED's that aren't shit? I've taken to writing the date on my Lumilife ones as I'm sure they're not lasting v long.
The ~980 or so LEDs which adorn the money plant and window frame of my bay window seem to be doing ok, however the LED replacements for the candle bulbs in my hall lights are shite.
Both came from John Lewis / China.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21901 on: 29 October, 2019, 07:32:41 pm »
The Wilko 'filament' ones in a pearl envelope are quite nice (good omnidirectional diffuse light, no measurable flicker as long as the mains supply stays above about 217V).  You'd genuinely believe the warm white one was a 60W tungsten lamp.  Bit early to tell about longevity though (the ones we've got have lasted maybe a year so far), and they're no good if you need something brighter (I'm still relying on >30W CFLs to provide decent kitchen and bike-fettling illumination, which is a point of some contention, as barakta can see the 100Hz ripple).

For general living spaces, I've resorted to uplighters retrofitted with generic Chinese COBs, powered by my own driver electronics.  Soft-start, dimmable, networked to the motion sensors and crucially, <1% ripple at 250kHz (which qualifies as rock solid even for barkata's long-suffering visual cortex).  I'm reasonably optimistic about the longevity of the LEDs, on account of sensible thermal management (if they get too hot, it turns down the current a bit).  Needless to say this was both expensive and a massive faff, but it's one of the few things we can do to help barakta's migraine that's actually effective.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21902 on: 29 October, 2019, 07:53:42 pm »
Has anyone got any LED's that aren't shit? I've taken to writing the date on my Lumilife ones as I'm sure they're not lasting v long.

To be fair, our Sainsbury's LEDs have stayed on.

ETA my computer note of LED replacements has no entries since January 2018 so whatever I've used since then seems OK.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #21903 on: 29 October, 2019, 07:54:28 pm »
Wilko are not a thing up here. Maybe I'll try ordering some from the Swedish Happy Halls of Joy.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21904 on: 29 October, 2019, 07:58:35 pm »
try morrisons instead
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #21905 on: 29 October, 2019, 08:00:21 pm »
LAP and Lucecco seem quite good (Screwfix). Phillips surprisingly IME are a bit hit and miss. Some cheaper LED bulbs from B and M cannot be used with touch operated lamps.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21906 on: 29 October, 2019, 08:25:54 pm »

To be fair, our Sainsbury's LEDs have stayed on.

I bought several from Sainsbury's, after noting that a friend had some that passed the filicker-o-meter test.  Some flickered like a bastard (I think it was the leading-edge dimmable ones), the others had minor ripple, but seemed a bit too directional for the fitting I wanted to use them in.  I think I've got one in my bedside lamp, and in the light at the top of the stairs that we only use when hoovering.

ian

« Reply #21907 on: 29 October, 2019, 08:38:58 pm »
With the one exception, the LEDHut bog standards ones we fitted the Asbestos Palace out with have lasted fine (I think we're about to hit six years since we moved in, probably should unpack the remaining removals boxes we have stashed in the garage and summer house). I can't recall any of the Ikea ones going pop. The low voltage wonky ones in the bathroom were fitted by the sparky who did all the wiring.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #21908 on: 30 October, 2019, 09:55:22 am »

This is basically how boarding USED to be done. The problem is that companies like Easyjet, in their rush to squeeze the last penny out of passengers, instituted 'speedy boarding' as well as huge fees for hold baggage.

How are they going to reconcile 'speedy boarding' with the return of the old "fill the plane from the back" system? Add in the usual twat with a sense of entitlement, who will block the queue while he argues, and the system is screwed. Finally, add in Easyjet's habit of failing to announce a departure gate until three nanoseconds before the plane is due to leave, which means that people are still arriving at the gate while boarding is underway...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50214631
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #21909 on: 30 October, 2019, 10:30:38 am »

This is basically how boarding USED to be done. The problem is that companies like Easyjet, in their rush to squeeze the last penny out of passengers, instituted 'speedy boarding' as well as huge fees for hold baggage.

How are they going to reconcile 'speedy boarding' with the return of the old "fill the plane from the back" system? Add in the usual twat with a sense of entitlement, who will block the queue while he argues, and the system is screwed. Finally, add in Easyjet's habit of failing to announce a departure gate until three nanoseconds before the plane is due to leave, which means that people are still arriving at the gate while boarding is underway...

It’s not a new idea; I remember one of the US budget airlines used it 10 years ago and I was very impressed with how well it worked compared to the usual scrum on those flights. But it does need passenger cooperation.....

ian

« Reply #21910 on: 30 October, 2019, 11:06:33 am »
I dunno why people get so antsy, my lazy boarding strategem is far superior. The plane isn't going anywhere until we're all on-board.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21911 on: 30 October, 2019, 11:13:57 am »
Starting at the back and next to the windows, individual passengers, then aisle seats, then groups. Was it done like that in the past? It might have been but I don't remember it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #21912 on: 30 October, 2019, 11:31:04 am »
I dunno why people get so antsy, my lazy boarding strategem is far superior. The plane isn't going anywhere until we're all on-board.
^^^That^^^
Wait at the gate until the queue has one person left in it. Then get on. Bag always fits under the seat in front.
Rust never sleeps

Edd

« Reply #21913 on: 30 October, 2019, 12:27:38 pm »
^^^That^^^
Wait at the gate until the queue has one person left in it. Then get on. Bag always fits under the seat in front.

I'm too tall for most aircraft seats so a bag under the seat in front of me makes the flight even more uncomfortable. With carriers encouraging everyone to bring their luggage into the cabin by charging for check-in, the overhead lockers get overfilled, so people rush so they don't have to have stuff by their feet.
Of course, if I could check in my small 10kg bag for free then it would be easier to take a more laid back approach. All i really want in the cabin is a book, headphones and a small bottle of water

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21914 on: 30 October, 2019, 12:49:14 pm »

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21915 on: 30 October, 2019, 12:58:46 pm »
"Ryanair flight 999 to London Everest is now boarding."
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #21916 on: 30 October, 2019, 08:58:12 pm »
^^^That^^^

That was my strategy, then in Warsaw earlier this year they decided the plane was full and couldn't fit the last three people on. I suppose there are worse places to have to spend an extra three days.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Phil W

« Reply #21917 on: 30 October, 2019, 09:17:21 pm »
^^^That^^^

When I was working in Dublin in the 90's I'd sit drinking with my boss till our names were called. It was only a 50 min flight to Stansted, so no rush for a prime seat. Why people want to be first to cram themselves into a small space with no leg room I never quite get. Leave it as long as possible and stretch your legs till the last passengers are boarding.

fuzzy

« Reply #21918 on: 30 October, 2019, 10:57:03 pm »
Its all about bagging that ovehead locker space for your oversized carry on.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #21919 on: 30 October, 2019, 11:42:12 pm »
Its all about bagging that ovehead locker space for your oversized carry on.

And yet, there are gauges to check the stuff fits.

I have at least three flying styles/states

1) tall. Extra legroom works. Thanks.
2) care less about scrums. Previous travelling incident makes me more than somewhat nervous. I embrace certainty.
3) if the bag fits... sorry, but allow passengers on the plane with a certain amount of baggage, and it should fit, with a bit to spare.
4) when I’ve got +£6k of stuff, computer and camera, to take on a plane, it isn’t hold fodder. No, really, it isn’t, it has rechargeable batteries, yeah...
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #21920 on: 31 October, 2019, 09:24:01 am »
It's mostly the stupid rules that mean they can charge you for bags, so people try and cram a bag the size of a small house into the overhead lockers. They're in a state of nervous panic because what if, WHAT IF DOESN'T FIT!!!!!

If there's no space for my bag, I hand it to one of the nice assistants they have on the plane and wander off.

It's the same with people who pop the buckle on their seat belts the moment we're on the runway. Do they think they're going to get to the terminal any quicker? If I were the captain I'd hold them back for 30 minutes after everyone else has got off like the naughty school children they so evidently are.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #21921 on: 31 October, 2019, 09:46:52 am »
People stood up on one flight I was on whilst we were still taxiing. They wouldn’t sit down. The pilot braked and they fell over.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21922 on: 31 October, 2019, 11:27:33 am »
You get it on the ferry too.  First sign of white cliffs, and half the Brits are queueueueing to get back to their vehicles.

« Reply #21923 on: 01 November, 2019, 10:22:43 am »
Last night, on the way home, I encountered a thoroughly unpleasant situation.

A gang of youths (age 16 upwards I guess), about 10-12 people, were chucking fireworks at people.  Not small bangers, substantial things with a considerable explosion.

They nearly hit a cyclist in front of me.  She pulled over as soon as she'd passed the group and phoned the police. I gave her my name and number as a witness.

Police didn't come out.

Work colleague has a friend with a house CCTV facing the street - incident caught on camera. So we have a witness, low-rez film of incident - but nothing.

Not enough police to help out.

Those idiot kids needed scaring with a caution before they actually hurt someone. They came very close to committing GBH last night.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21924 on: 01 November, 2019, 04:07:16 pm »
Cambridgeshire police are not on my Christmas Card list at the moment either, after being run off the road 6 weeks ago now, I've still not been able to make a report of the incident.  Called it in at the time, they said "if they're co-operating just report it at the station"

Online - Sorry, can't take this report, it involves an injury
Ely Police station - Closed Mondays,
Saturdays, no answer to the doorbell, pick up the yellow phone get through to an operator "oh yes, there should be someone there, let me put you through" Answerphone, message left, called back? What do you think
Today, went into town to get a haircut, stopped by the station, "The Enquiry office is temporarily closed"

Somewhat telling of the investment in our police
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens