Author Topic: What's the fastest time that ACP will acknowledge for PBP?  (Read 8564 times)

Re: What's the fastest time that ACP will acknowledge for PBP?
« Reply #50 on: 28 August, 2023, 06:46:55 pm »
On his Strava post, Hajo appears as #1 in the PBP list, but you can’t see the times. Anyone know Hajo’s time, and is he the fastest at PBP this year?

Hajo the velomobilist did it in 45 hours.

Putting 2 and 2 together  :)

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #51 on: 28 August, 2023, 07:21:34 pm »
Ah yes, faster moving average than Nick, but had many more longer stops, plus a 4.5 hour stop at Fougeres on way back etc.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #52 on: 31 August, 2023, 06:40:15 am »
Apologies if everyone knows this but I haven't seen mention:
I think 2nd place Marco Baloh is the RAAM legend (pictured on the 2011 wiki page).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #53 on: 31 August, 2023, 07:57:34 am »
I think 2nd place Marco Baloh is the RAAM legend (pictured on the 2011 wiki page).

Correct, he is.

I found this kinda funny, RAAM reminding PBP riders that they're not in a race....
https://m.facebook.com/story.php/?id=100064819237823&story_fbid=696223655881603

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #54 on: 31 August, 2023, 09:02:14 am »
^^ ha ha, they wait for no-one, but someone faster and more organised should wait for them.

« Reply #55 on: 31 August, 2023, 10:08:24 am »
"A new Slovenian record"

Does anyone in Slovenia keep records of PBP?  Has any Slovenian other than Marko ridden PBP?.  Do Slovenians have their own trumpets?  (Never heard Roglic or Pogacar play one!)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #56 on: 31 August, 2023, 12:24:00 pm »
Once I have filled the bidons and had a leak. I am finding the early afternoon heat pretty tough. My stoker seems to be impervious.
as last time, I only struggled with the heat between Villaines du Juhal and Dreux, especially on the approach to Mortagnes au Perche.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #57 on: 31 August, 2023, 12:42:14 pm »

Correct, he is.

I found this kinda funny, RAAM reminding PBP riders that they're not in a race....
Clearly sour grapes are a delicacy for some Slovenians!  ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #58 on: 31 August, 2023, 01:41:40 pm »
^^ ha ha, they wait for no-one, but someone faster and more organised should wait for them.

Yeah, some of the hypocrisy coming out from the pointy end (in particular) is stunning. I'm just assuming these self-identifying "losers" always had sour grapes but social media just makes it more visible.

I mean, if pointing to the spirit of Audax, one could easily say all riders must be self sufficient, and prepared both mentally and physically to ride the whole event alone. Anyone whining that some stranger (or even, friend) did not wait for them at a control or other faff-stop is simply not participating in the real spirit of allure libre randonneuring

felstedrider

« Reply #59 on: 31 August, 2023, 02:27:14 pm »
Once I have filled the bidons and had a leak. I am finding the early afternoon heat pretty tough. My stoker seems to be impervious.
as last time, I only struggled with the heat between Villaines du Juhal and Dreux, especially on the approach to Mortagnes au Perche.

Did you find the buffet restaurant by the hotel in Dreux ?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #60 on: 01 September, 2023, 10:00:20 am »

[/quote]
I saw it, but I had already eaten at the control, and just went to sleep. I wasn't really in the mood either as my event had come to an end.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

felstedrider

« Reply #61 on: 01 September, 2023, 06:20:39 pm »

I saw it, but I had already eaten at the control, and just went to sleep. I wasn't really in the mood either as my event had come to an end.
[/quote]

Sorry to hear it.  You seemed in fine form at Villaines and Mortagne so I assumed you would have a rest and cruise in to finish.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #62 on: 02 September, 2023, 10:20:16 am »

Correct, he is.

Clearly sour grapes are a delicacy for some Slovenians!  ;D
I think Marco's own blog is good fun (and a lot less whiney):
https://markobaloh.web5.si/news.html

(URL edited -bless you QG!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #63 on: 02 September, 2023, 10:53:17 am »

I think Marco's own blog is good fun (and a lot less whiney):

Same link, but without the facebook tracking crap.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #64 on: 02 September, 2023, 12:10:06 pm »
I’ve loved reading some of the accounts at the pointy end of PBP - love the unofficial rules section !

6) Finish the event! The goal is to do the best ride possible under the circumstances. To ride fast and then to drop out because you cannot achieve your time goal is the ultimate failure.

« Reply #65 on: 08 September, 2023, 10:05:08 am »
I had no idea the rules of randonneuring were so complex.

so the idea is to not race against people, but to ride to get the best possible result for yourself.
but riding alone to get the best possible result for yourself, is not as noble as riding with others, for a potentially slower time & therefore not the best possible result for yourself.  ???

Maybe it translates better in native Slovenian?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #66 on: 08 September, 2023, 12:37:38 pm »
I had no idea the rules of randonneuring were so complex.

so the idea is to not race against people, but to ride to get the best possible result for yourself.
but riding alone to get the best possible result for yourself, is not as noble as riding with others, for a potentially slower time & therefore not the best possible result for yourself.  ???

Maybe it translates better in native Slovenian?

The bit in the middle of the paragraph after the six rules is the one that matters most to me, "have fun".  If it stops being net enjoyment, then it's time for me to stop.  I will admit to discovering this during PBP2011, when I was aiming for a fast time (nothing like Mister Baloh) but a particular round number.  I struggled more than I would have liked in the first night and decided to abandon the fast time and (with the benefit of reasonable legs) enjoy the way back from Brest.  A game of two halves, as they say.  I've applied that philosophy in 2015 and 2023 (I missed 2019 due to family commitments), and am looking forward to 2027.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)