Author Topic: A Shared Laugh  (Read 1221 times)

clarion

• Tyke
A Shared Laugh
« on: 12 September, 2008, 10:46:52 am »
I was riding past Clapham Common this morning, which is a bit of a pain, because, while there is a stream of cyclists in the left hand lane, a load of drivers come down the right, and try to push in to make a left turn.

This morning, I was passing another rider as a Ford Galaxy began moving over my way without indicating, coming a lot closer than I wanted.

I didn't yell or swear, but just said loudly 'Whoa! I don't normally go that far on the first date!'.  The driver laughed, and pulled back onto her own lane.

;D
Getting there...

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Re: A Shared Laugh
« Reply #1 on: 12 September, 2008, 10:55:38 am »
After being brush passed by a truck this morning, I was in No Mood To Be Bullied.

A guy in a Saab 95 turbo came right up to my rear wheel, revving, trying to force his way past - against solid traffic in the opposing lane, and solid parked cars on my left.

I looked back and shouted "Back down" and followed that with a Death Stare of such ferocity I almost seared my own retinas.

He backed down, and followed me respectfully to the TLs (which were red anyway), where upon pulling up next to me in the LH turn lane he waved a meek "sorry". I gave him a manly thumbs up and nod.

Equilibrium restored.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #2 on: 12 September, 2008, 11:46:05 am »
Well done both.

That's all it should really need.

Shame that so many first comments are obscenities screamed like a fish wife.  Tends to set the tone for the rest of the exchange.

but, as I've commented before, I don't commute in London.  My home town has only 2 sets of lights and about 5 ped controlled sets.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 12 September, 2008, 11:51:08 am »
After having been ticked off by a two stokers for my bad language in remonstrating with other road users :-[  , I try to keep it civil.

Well, that and the fact that I was used to a moron trying to kill me then zooming off never to be seen again.  I hadn't experienced London traffic, where you're likely to see the tosser at least twice again, often at junctions, pinch points etc.

Now, I tend to go for a non-digital gesture, or asking 'Was that green?  Well, was it?', or advising 'Looking would have been good' or 'Using your mirror is another option.'

Vents (most of) my anger, and lets the incident pass.  I'll never be totally zen on the road, but it's a step in the right direction.
Getting there...

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #4 on: 12 September, 2008, 12:07:16 pm »
I have taken BMs sage advice, and started applying it recently.

When cut up by a moton, laugh at their frustration brought about by the impotence rendered upon them by their mode of transport.

It makes me feel instantly better, and ends the encounter with me in a positive mood to continue my journey.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 12 September, 2008, 12:10:19 pm »
While getting away from the OT, which was the shared laugh, I do enjoy a Nelson Muntz moment sometimes :)

And when we see stretch limos, bodykitted cars etc, Butterfly & I share a 'Blerrrgghh!'  ;D
Getting there...

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: 12 September, 2008, 12:15:20 pm »
While getting away from the OT, which was the shared laugh, I do enjoy a Nelson Muntz moment sometimes :)

And when we see stretch limos, bodykitted cars etc, Butterfly & I share a 'Blerrrgghh!'  ;D

On seeing stretch limos etc, etc, I automatically start heating up the (sadly imaginary) thought activated orbital death lasers.

« Reply #7 on: 12 September, 2008, 01:00:14 pm »
I have taken BMs sage advice, and started applying it recently.

When cut up by a moton, laugh at their frustration brought about by the impotence rendered upon them by their mode of transport.

It makes me feel instantly better, and ends the encounter with me in a positive mood to continue my journey.

Hehe, wish I could apply it myself more often.  Not yesterday, I was too tired and that overtake instantly increased my overall grumpiness.

The ride in cheered me up, as did my student of the evening, a lovely Belgian lass who was an excellent skater, and a very quick learner.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.