Author Topic: Good and bad  (Read 1254 times)

janm399

Good and bad
« on: 09 September, 2008, 08:57:32 pm »
I had a company van driver applying HC rule 168¾: must overtake cyclist whatever it takes in the morning. It was the usual stupid driving: I was in primary, slowing down for the red lights. He overtook me into a turn and then had to stop for the lights. He gained 3 metres in total. I have the whole charade on video. I e-mailed the company the van belongs to, but so far have not received a response. I will give it one more day and then put a letter in the post. I have my town's coat of arms and some letter wax to put a nice finishing touch to the letter!
In the afternoon, a big lorry followed me from Stockport to Didsbury. The driver was very nice, kept his distance and when I gave him thumbs up for considerate driving, he beeped and waved as I was turning left.
Thus the balance was restored.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Good and bad
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2008, 10:31:27 am »
I had a rather closer encounter with a van than I prefer on a first date this morning.  I passed him about ten seconds later when he was stuck in the jam.  I made sure I went past the partially open driver's window, and made a point of asking him if he thought it was worth pushing through and endangering several of us.  No reply; black look.
Getting there...

janm399

« Reply #2 on: 12 September, 2008, 05:25:55 pm »
I just had an e-mail reply from the manager of Cheshire Scaffolds Ltd. He apologised unreservedly; he said he had a word with the driver concerned.

I wrote back to say thank you for the message and I accepted his apology. That closes the matter for me and it shows that in most cases a sincere apology is perfectly fine.

So, good result!  :thumbsup:

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #3 on: 14 September, 2008, 12:38:17 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #4 on: 14 September, 2008, 01:01:54 pm »
99% of the time I get the lorry type of driver.  Considerate, patient, polite and careful.  On the whole my everyday cycling experience is good to great.
The odd prick ruins it for a brief while, generally no more than 5 minutes until faith in humans behind the wheel is restored.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5 on: 14 September, 2008, 07:37:07 pm »
Robert Wiseman Dairies.

Without exception their drivers are courteous and considerate.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Must write and let them know.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes