Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2164076 times)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #550 on: 12 April, 2009, 12:21:14 pm »
Cleaning Dawes 101 part 2.

Not really, e-mailed Argos to point out 4 months was excessive for a new fork.  And by magic my job has jumped to the front of the queue so I am going to be able to run my proper commuting bike within a few weeks.  Now Dawes 101 had borrowed Commuting bike's dynamo hub wheel for a couple of weeks last November because it's own had not been built yet.

So the nice disc hub dynamo wheel was filthy.  The rim brakes of Dawes 101 had left black marks all over the redundant braking surface.  So out comes my trusted rubber block with 120 grit and the black marks and scratches were removed.  I find when I do this I am always dissatisfied, I can always find a imperfection that needed another rub.  Fortunately I put the wheel down in the sunlight before I went to get my 240 grit block otherwise I would still be there making a mirror finish.  It was already shiny enough.

Annoyed now because my other good rims are ceramic and do shine when you polish them.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #551 on: 12 April, 2009, 05:44:42 pm »
Cleaning Dawes 101 part 2.

Not really, e-mailed Argos to point out 4 months was excessive for a new fork.  And by magic my job has jumped to the front of the queue so I am going to be able to run my proper commuting bike within a few weeks. 

>:( They're supposed to be building me a fork too - I was expecting it to be done by the end of this week.  Apparently the paint shop is the bottleneck.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #552 on: 12 April, 2009, 05:55:42 pm »
My new Nitto bars and their new Brooks leather bar tape.  Look nice to match the honey saddle, and very comfortable.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #553 on: 12 April, 2009, 07:49:31 pm »
Just myself.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #554 on: 12 April, 2009, 08:50:44 pm »
Stripped out my rear hub bearing on the Soma, cones have eaten themselves, but could be sorted with new cones and bearings, the wheel has another snapped spoke. Thats 5 or 6 in a couple of years.  Might go for a new wheel.   Fitted a spare Alex wheel I had kicking about, which will do for now, but the rims the wrong colour ;D

ed_o_brain

« Reply #555 on: 12 April, 2009, 10:47:14 pm »

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #556 on: 12 April, 2009, 10:57:43 pm »
The brakes on my single speed. Just taking the stretch out of the cables.

rogerzilla

« Reply #557 on: 12 April, 2009, 10:59:14 pm »
Just myself.

Er...do they need to go in the NSFW board?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #558 on: 13 April, 2009, 11:15:05 am »
I was referring to the hour and 45 minutes I spent at the gym, you filth-meisters!  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rogerzilla

« Reply #559 on: 13 April, 2009, 01:59:53 pm »
I imagined something involving a  31.8mm 25.4mm seatpost and a pot of Finish Line grease  ;D

« Reply #560 on: 14 April, 2009, 12:01:38 am »
I made a switch operating lever for diving torch.

The original one was plastic and had broken.

The new one is aluminium (it is inside the torch so it shouldn't corrode) and it used to be a mounting bracket that used to be the lid of a spin dryer.

Real fettling with saws and files and mole wrenches.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #561 on: 14 April, 2009, 08:51:23 am »
I spent the weekend digging a big hole in the front garden to fix our leaky water main.

I explained to the girl next door that I was jealous of the fish pond they built in the back garden last year, so was making my own in the front.

bikenerd

« Reply #562 on: 14 April, 2009, 09:34:31 am »
Yesterday I shortened the cables on the MTB after fitting a super short and responsive 60mm stem.  Then bled the rear brake and fitted some new grips.

We also had a look at the front suspension for Mrs Nerd's Moulton.  After sitting in bits since last August, it should finally be getting built up in the next few weeks.  Light nights are great!  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #563 on: 14 April, 2009, 10:48:29 am »
I put the tandem and a solo together on the camp site at the weekend.  We got a short trundle on the tandem, which was fun.  But I don't think it likes being taken apart quite so often. :(  Threw the chain three times in a short distance.  I think i need to give it a bit of care.  Fortunately, tomorrow, my tandem rack arrives :)

Dismantled the bikes again to get them back in the car, and haven't got them out again yet.
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #564 on: 14 April, 2009, 11:47:56 pm »
Fitting powertap wiring loom to TT/Sportive bike.  Which means I get round to cleaning powertap and cassette thoroughly after the filthy Norfolk B Roads audax.  Audax bike still hasn't been properly cleaned (but then I've not done an Audax since then).

Just got to swap the tyre (there's a turbo tyre on there right now) and drop the wheel in, and I should be good to go.

« Reply #565 on: 15 April, 2009, 12:11:13 am »
My new garden tool store, which had been sitting around in pieces for over a month, but is now complete, treated with green Ronseal stuff, & even has some garden tools in it.

Oh, you meant bikes!
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #566 on: 15 April, 2009, 06:41:01 am »
Oh well, if we are going off topic, I replaced some missing knobs off drawers.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #567 on: 15 April, 2009, 09:16:05 am »
Last night, I fitted a U-brake to Our Kid's BMX (though I still need a cable & splitter, and noted how very poor the design was.
Getting there...

ed_o_brain

« Reply #568 on: 15 April, 2009, 11:23:03 am »
Last night I adjusted both the hubs on the as yet unridden tricross single and fitted a fixed cog + lock ring.

The night before I swapped the knobbly cyclocross tyres for some Schwalbe Marathons (..I must be getting old).

That leaves the fitting of mudguards and connecting up/fettling of the brakes, after which I might use it when I meet Zanda on Thursday night.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #569 on: 15 April, 2009, 11:35:18 am »
Last night I ... fitted a fixed cog + lock ring.

Was it inevitable that I misread that bit?
Getting there...

ed_o_brain

« Reply #570 on: 15 April, 2009, 02:35:22 pm »
Clarion you naughty boy!

« Reply #571 on: 19 April, 2009, 04:08:57 pm »
I have cleaned the TCR ready for next week.  I noticed the Giant badge was quite discoloured so it came off (with a bit of help) from the head tube.  Pure clean carbon was beneath  ;D

I also dropped the forks out and cleaned the integrated headset races and re-lubed them.

« Reply #572 on: 19 April, 2009, 04:48:28 pm »
Blow my tyres up, raised my saddle 2 mm, and sprayed some WD40  on my chain

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #573 on: 20 April, 2009, 12:54:44 pm »
Yesterday ,put new chain on summer bike ,realised the cassette was dirty so took it off again ,cleaned cassette  and the put chain on again.
Having put reassembled chainset incorrectly on hack bike reassembled it with safety bolt thing in a place to   stop  the chain slipping between crank and chainset.
Put pedals on mtb and geneally cleaned it up in advance of possible off road excursion later this week.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #574 on: 20 April, 2009, 12:56:52 pm »
I imagined something involving a  31.8mm 25.4mm seatpost and a pot of Finish Line grease  ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D