Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134558 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #800 on: 16 August, 2009, 07:21:14 pm »
The car.

Drained coolant, then flushed and bled the brakes and clutch (horrible job with one of those one-way tubes...I'd love a pressure bleeding kit but no-one makes a cap to fit the MX-5 reservoir).  Refilled coolant and went through the strange procedure to get the air out.  Then removed all the air trunking and flushed out the idle air valve with xylene.  Changed the air filter and the PCV valve, which I reckoned would be past its best after 12 years.  Flushed out various crankcase ventilation hoses.  Got the car level and checked the oil in the diff (I'll need to get the garage to check the gearbox oil level, but since there are no leaks it will be fine).  Checked a few rubber boots, alternator belt and stuff.  Exhaust still looks pretty good, wishbones getting pretty rusty, although I've never heard of one actually needing to be replaced except as a result of an accident.  Took it for a thrash and then checked the natural idle speed with a multimeter, which turned out to be within 10rpm of spec.

The oil gets done in March and September.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #801 on: 16 August, 2009, 07:27:31 pm »
Took the stem off the new fixie to fit the shorter one kindly donated by Deano. Fitted the new stem on the steerer and then went to fit the handle bars only to realise that the handlebars are 38mm and the stem is for 25mm. Reversed the whole procedure.

Anybody looking for a short stem?

« Reply #802 on: 17 August, 2009, 06:44:07 pm »
PAC Tour Bike.
Having done 4000 miles (PAC Tour + 600km just before) since I fettled it ready to go it needed a full strip down and re-grease / rebuild now that I'm back.
Whilst away it needed a rear wheel re-built (dodgy spokes), a new seat (broken rail) and a total of 3 new tyres (mileage / American roads).
Now back - full strip down, re-grease and clean all hubs / BB etc, rebuild rear wheel again (new rim required - spokes pulling through for the second time), re-tape handlebars - blue this time to match hubs, change lever hoods for Blue to match everything else, new chain, possible new block, swapped out Hope ceramic BB, put old Dura Ace one back in until it wears out.
Good points - all cables still in perfect working order, brake blocks OK.
Will be back on the road as soon as wheel comes back from LBS.

« Reply #803 on: 20 August, 2009, 11:40:30 am »
Wanted to take the MTB out yesterday. It's not moved for a while, & that was when someone borrowed it. So . . . .

- new inner tube to replace the one with a slow leak that I can't find (I've put it aside to have another look).
- put the saddle back where it belongs, & therefore also move the mudguard (one of those seatpost-mounted thingies).
- fit rear light to replace the one I took off to lower the saddle when lending it out. The original has somehow found its way onto the Enigma.
- fit mount for GPS.
- lubricate, & feel appalled at the sight of the muck on the chain & gears that I hadn't left myself time to properly clean before going out.
- work out where I could put the diNotte & its battery pack, because the old Smart light battery needed recharging & takes forever.

"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #804 on: 21 August, 2009, 11:19:37 am »
Mrs Pingu did some bar tape  :thumbsup:

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #805 on: 21 August, 2009, 12:52:41 pm »
I fitted a new saddle.  Selle Italia Signo Gel Flow.  Bottom has been Turbomatic shaped for the last ten years so objects.  The new saddle is slightly lower than the Turbomatic so I raised the seatpost.

« Reply #806 on: 22 August, 2009, 12:32:53 am »
The Enigmas gear indexing had gone off (new cables stretching, I presume), so I fiddled with the gears a bit. And I put my trusty old Brooks B17 Narrow on it, for a bit of comfort when riding. Its 3rd bike in 18 years.

BTW, anyone want an Enigma branded saddle? Titanium alloy rails, skimpy plastic seat with thin padding. They retail for over fifty nicker.  Should say that in the Classified section I suppose.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #807 on: 22 August, 2009, 05:20:37 pm »
I lubed my chain with **** I'm not saying as you will only say it's not a lubricant ;)

gordon taylor

« Reply #808 on: 22 August, 2009, 07:17:12 pm »
I fitted a new uPVC window to replace a rotting wooden one... only 12 years after the glass was cracked by my son and his football.  :-[

alan

« Reply #809 on: 22 August, 2009, 07:23:03 pm »
I fitted a new uPVC window to replace a rotting wooden one... only 12 years after the glass was cracked by my son and his football.  :-[

I think you should spend less time on trivial tasks.Stop rushing into this DIY nonsense & spend more time cycling ;)

rogerzilla

« Reply #810 on: 22 August, 2009, 07:29:25 pm »
Making a Brompton roadworthy, one that's been thrashed as a commuting vehicle for the last seven years.  Everything is now clean - tonight I need to rebuild the SRAM 3-speed hub and I might get round to fitting all the new cables.  Tomorrow I'll do the headset - not my favourite job on a built-up bike, since I don't have a workstand.

rogerzilla

« Reply #811 on: 23 August, 2009, 08:32:08 am »
Arse...the headset lower cup is loose in the frame (snug, but can be pulled out by fingers).  I'll have to use the strongest bearing fit compound Halfrauds can supply.

You'd think after all these years the bike manufacturers would have worked out why you should have either head lugs or reinforcing rings on a head tube - otherwise the head tube eventually stretches under hard use.  One day I'm going to make a big list of technical improvements and send it to Brompton - so far it's:

1) Use some proper paint.  Please.

2) Braze some reinforcing rings to the top and bottom of the head tube

3) Use rollers that don't catch the heels/calves of anyone taller than 5'8"

4) Sort out that rear pivot with a grease nipple, or at least make it easier to change without a £200 tool.

5) Beef up the handlebar clamp.  One Jesus bolt makes me nervous.

6) Put a couple of bottle cage bosses on the back of the stem.

7) Change the horrible foam grips.

8 ) Build the wheels a lot tighter, then people won't keep breaking spokes and you won't be replacing wheels under warranty.  I rebuilt mine within the first week, because it was obvious they wouldn't last 100 miles with my weight and the roads round here.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #812 on: 24 August, 2009, 05:14:14 pm »
Well the past four days:

Fettled the carrbs on the Ducati monster, post carb clean/rebuild/overhaul (i got the float chamber hieght wrong, and installed the correct springs) took three rebuilds accessing the carb as I kept reassebling it wrong.

Then the next day (saturday) I replaced the rear shoes on the car and and regreased the beaings were dry and one beaing is shot (wouldn't mind but have a reciept that they both were changed in january before I got the car) Also got to change the oil and filter.  Need to look in a leak from a fuel injector which I can't seem to trace.

Well sunday, I finally put the monster together and took it for a test ride in the evening.

today I fettled the hercules bike as after my off the other day I wanted to check that everything was alright.  Headstock was loose but don't know if it that was from the off or just settling after a rebuild and regrease.

« Reply #813 on: 24 August, 2009, 06:45:54 pm »
Making a Brompton roadworthy, one that's been thrashed as a commuting vehicle for the last seven years.  Everything is now clean - tonight I need to rebuild the SRAM 3-speed hub and I might get round to fitting all the new cables.  Tomorrow I'll do the headset - not my favourite job on a built-up bike, since I don't have a workstand.

You can always come and use the SICRUT BWNCWR here if you want - less than an hour and a fantastic pub 2 mins away  :thumbsup:

My ulterior motive is to get you to supervise me stripping down, inspecting and lubing my Sachs hub.  It appears to be an easy job but I can't help thinking it might involve some unexpected pingfuckit moments the first time I do it!

alan

« Reply #814 on: 24 August, 2009, 07:03:10 pm »
it might involve some unexpected pingfuckit moments

excellent wordsmithing  :thumbsup:  ;D

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #815 on: 24 August, 2009, 07:27:59 pm »
A really technical job today - raised the saddle about 5 mm.  8)
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #816 on: 24 August, 2009, 09:20:31 pm »
Bodged a light bracket onto my bike so I could fit a handlebar bag:

Now I just wait for it to get dark so I can go and test it.

« Reply #817 on: 24 August, 2009, 09:45:39 pm »
As far as I can work out, Sunset was about an hour before you posted that, so you don't need to wait any longer!
Actually, it is rocket science.

rogerzilla

« Reply #818 on: 24 August, 2009, 09:50:56 pm »
Took the pedals off the old Brompton, fitted one of the new metal RH pedals and a new front mudguard.  The old RH pedal didn't come off without a colossal fight, but the crank threads are OK.  Also gave the folding pedal, which may be original, a good clean.  The sealed bearing is past its best but, at £20 for a new bearing, it just got a shot of oil.  I suspect a standard cartridge of the right size can be pressed in using a suitably sized socket as a drift - it seems to be a 62032RS (actually marked 180203, which seems to be a Russian code) - which would cost about £4.  Worth a try.  It also needs one amber reflector to make it complete, but I've ordered one (they're sold as spares).

Then I checked the crankbolts, gave it a quick spin and then wiped it over to get any oil and grease off before my wife sees it.

« Reply #819 on: 25 August, 2009, 03:20:33 pm »
Glued and assembled an oak stair case.  Next stage is clean off the blood, tears and sweat prior to varnishing.

The instructions were bloody useful, I don't think. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #820 on: 25 August, 2009, 04:24:11 pm »
Halfway through off-road-erizing the fixie, waiting for the WD-40 to penetrate the lockring threads...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #821 on: 25 August, 2009, 08:09:58 pm »
I've given the Thorn a pretty thorough clean. I've never seen so much gunk come off a chain. I also noticed that there's not a lot left of the wear indicator on the front rim. Must order a 32-hole Sunrims CR18. I reckon to get 10000 miles out of the old one (<800 to do). Still on the original Panaracer Pasela!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #822 on: 25 August, 2009, 09:53:23 pm »
I built up a new bike for work yesterday. I have bought a frame on the b2w scheme so just transfered all the bits over from my old work bike. I was very pleased this morning the bike felt so comfy and quiet. When I came out of work the front tyre was flat which is unusual as it's a Marathon +. Anyway I pumped it up and got home ok. I must have pinched the tube when fitting the tyre. I needed to use a lever! When cycling home I thought that the saddle needed raising a touch but when I checked it was a good 1" below where I am sure it was originally positioned. On checking I found that the bolt that tightens the seatpost in position bottoms-out before fully clamping the post. Therefore the post had slipped down. Fortunately I still had the bolt from the old frame and the shoulder on the 'bolt' half was slightly shorter than the bolt supplied.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #823 on: 25 August, 2009, 09:58:01 pm »
I put the Dave Yates back into touring mode yesterday. Rack, heavier wheels and tyres, mudguards, lights. It weighs a ton now.  ::-)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #824 on: 25 August, 2009, 10:01:05 pm »
When cycling home I thought that the saddle needed raising a touch but when I checked it was a good 1" below where I am sure it was originally positioned. On checking I found that the bolt that tightens the seatpost in position bottoms-out before fully clamping the post. Therefore the post had slipped down. Fortunately I still had the bolt from the old frame and the shoulder on the 'bolt' half was slightly shorter than the bolt supplied.

I had a similar problem on the gay disco (it's a long story - I had just qualified, I'm colour-blind, it looked like a bargain until I got it home and everyone said "It's pink and red and yellow and blue and silver!"). Actually, the wrong size bolt coupled with the wrong size seat pin. It took me ages to figure it out. Anyway, you can cut a little off each end of the seatpost bolt to make it fit. Not that you need to, having the one off the old frame. But for anyone else who might have this problem...
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?