Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2168871 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #975 on: 01 November, 2009, 05:05:45 pm »
Replaced the bearings in my Campag hub and put new springs and pauls palls pawls in the freehub.  :)

Sorry?  Can't hear you for that loud ticking noise ;D
Getting there...

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #976 on: 01 November, 2009, 05:43:43 pm »
Replaced the bearings in my Campag hub and put new springs and pauls palls pawls in the freehub.  :)

Sorry?  Can't hear you for that loud ticking noise ;D

That's an apawling appalling reply.  :P
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #977 on: 02 November, 2009, 10:15:38 pm »
Stopped at the LBS to pick up a new brake cable and they changed it for me there and then.

All ready for the Upper Thames...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #978 on: 02 November, 2009, 10:16:30 pm »
That's good.  Putney Cycles?
Getting there...

« Reply #979 on: 02 November, 2009, 10:17:34 pm »
Yup, 6.30pm and they were becoming quite busy with drop-offs and collections too.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #980 on: 02 November, 2009, 10:19:46 pm »
:thumbsup:  That's the sort of customer service that gets people coming back and spending their dosh, so I thought it was worth mentioning the name ;)
Getting there...

alan

« Reply #981 on: 06 November, 2009, 08:42:11 pm »
Just taken the rear pannier rack off the Langster & fitted a Tortec Razorgaurd over the rear wheel

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #982 on: 07 November, 2009, 08:19:37 pm »
Built the new rear wheel for the as yet frameless commuting fixie.  Some wheels come together easily, and this is one of them.  The spokes are tensioned as far as I dare and stress-relieved, and although it's not been in the truing stand yet it's remarkably straight.

Goldtec black 135mm track hub, 36 black DT Competition spokes, Mavic XC717 rim.  None more black.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #983 on: 07 November, 2009, 09:44:07 pm »
Cleaned the Etape and de-flinted the Krylions.  I then re-arranged the rear lighting and installed my new Lumicycle LED4 head unit.

alan

« Reply #984 on: 08 November, 2009, 11:51:43 am »
In an effort to combat persistent sore sit bones I have taken the Swallow saddle off the Trek & fitted it to the Langster & the B17 from the Langster is now on the Trek.
I am hoping that the narrower Swallow will be more comfortable.
It occurred to me as I was doing all this that the Trek has not been used for more than a 6 mile ride for approx 16 months :o

seventytwo

« Reply #985 on: 08 November, 2009, 12:03:02 pm »
Bit of a cheat as it was yesterday...

Fettled an old Bromich with Sturmey-Archer 3-speed gear (as part of my volunteer duties at the local bike recycling place). 

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #986 on: 08 November, 2009, 12:17:27 pm »
Fitted new brake levers and cables to my daughters Lincoln Imp (her Ebay purchase she wants singespeeded) I think they look a bit weird (goldfinger things) but it's what she wanted and it is a birthday present.  Fitted the gold handlebar tape and gold saddle. Fitted a 21t freewheel and an 20t cog on the flip flop hub on the wheels she bought for it ) another ebay bargain of hers. She wanted to keep the old Weinmann sidepulls.  They work better than I thought they would.  Unfortunately, I now seem to have stripped the thread on the bolt that fixes the rear cable to the mechanism and now it won't grip the cable tight when the lever is pulled .  And amongst the hundreds of bolts and nuts I have in little tins I do not seem to have one that will do the job. Ho hum. 

« Reply #987 on: 08 November, 2009, 03:25:01 pm »
A Weinmann anchor bolt? I've probably got one or two. There were a couple of different sizes though IIRC. Any chance of a picture.

Whereabouts in the country are you, roughly?

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #988 on: 08 November, 2009, 03:33:43 pm »
I knew someone would know about this.  I'll try and take a picture in a minute or so.  The caliper is stamped weinmann type 73c and the bolt has a hole through the middle to put the cable through.
I'm in London SE23

« Reply #989 on: 08 November, 2009, 05:08:52 pm »
The 73C may be enough. All Weinmann anchor bolts have a hole for the cable, but I've seen two sizes on Weinmanns or look-alikes. It may be easier to try one. I'll have a look around - chase me if I don't answer in a day or two.

rogerzilla

« Reply #990 on: 08 November, 2009, 05:51:44 pm »
I think I have two upstairs.

Zoidburg

« Reply #991 on: 08 November, 2009, 06:49:21 pm »
Sodding tube repair >:(

I managed to center punch dead on a piece of MOT the size of my fist that was stuck fast in the tarmac.

Pinch puncture.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #992 on: 10 November, 2009, 05:16:38 pm »
I turned the corner into my road today to experience that sinking tyre-roll feeling of a puncture.

On inspection I found that the tyre has had its day, with just too much wear, and a split of which I had been unaware. Fortunately I had a brand-new Marathon in 26*1.5 hanging in the garage but it was a real fight getting it on the rim. It will have to come off again in the not too distant future because the rim probably has less than 1000 miles left in it. However, I'm not intending to build a Rohloff-equipped wheel so that will be a job for Thorn's wheelbuilder.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #993 on: 12 November, 2009, 08:39:52 pm »
Mudguard onto the front of the Dave Yates, mudflap on the rear.

I'll fit a front mudflap when I've finished off the milk.

rogerzilla

« Reply #994 on: 15 November, 2009, 04:17:39 pm »
Finished the S3X wheel (it took hours - I'll never buy Open Pros again, not stiff enough, and not especially round where they're welded).  Put it on the Fuji.  Didn't go for a ride because I haven't yet fitted the shifter and the cable gizmos, so it would have been a 48 x 15 slog.

There seems to be a neutral position between 2 and 3.  That might be fun  ;)

« Reply #995 on: 15 November, 2009, 06:26:30 pm »
Bottom bracket removed, cleaned and re-lubed.  Good bike clean done.  First chain rotation.  New brake blocks on the rear brakes.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #996 on: 15 November, 2009, 06:28:47 pm »
I stripped (almost) all the Campagnolo off the Woodrup, and fitted some very fetching Shimano 600 components.  Still need to do the cables & adjustment (& replace those wheels), but it's looking lovely. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #997 on: 15 November, 2009, 08:11:46 pm »
tightened a loose screw in the door hinge of my car, and in vain tried to use bike grease to stop the doors at the back creaking when they open…
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

« Reply #998 on: 15 November, 2009, 11:30:51 pm »
Finished the S3X wheel (it took hours - I'll never buy Open Pros again, not stiff enough, and not especially round where they're welded).  Put it on the Fuji.  Didn't go for a ride because I haven't yet fitted the shifter and the cable gizmos, so it would have been a 48 x 15 slog.

There seems to be a neutral position between 2 and 3.  That might be fun  ;)

What spoke length did you go with, and was it spot on?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #999 on: 15 November, 2009, 11:32:23 pm »
I took all the keys off my keyboard and brushed all the detritus (beard hairs, biscuit crumbs, general other human remains) out of it and put all the keys back in. It's working better now.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.