Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2162713 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #1225 on: 28 January, 2010, 11:50:45 pm »
 :o :o :o

She has an oscilliscope and an account with RS.

Run away!!!  ;)

I've removed most of a month's worth of road skog from the Van Nic - some of which has made itself disagreeably persistent....
... As well as stopping some stuff from working as it is supposed to.

Meh!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1226 on: 29 January, 2010, 12:07:49 am »
She has an oscilliscope and an account with RS.

Run away!!!  ;)

I've got to make up for lack of bicycles somehow  ;)

(I've just calculated road speed of the wheel to be about 2.9mph based on that trace.  I think I've been off the bike too long...)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1227 on: 29 January, 2010, 07:44:16 am »
Is Reply # 1234 in a foreign language?Too clever for me all that lectrickery stuff :& it bites  :o

« Reply #1228 on: 29 January, 2010, 08:31:33 am »
I thought it had been dummed down a bit, for a more mainstream popular audience! ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1229 on: 29 January, 2010, 05:26:16 pm »
One wireless notwork and one humoungously FUBAR'd anti-virus notwork installation.  I think.  I hope.  I don't much care any more, and am off home. 

(On my lovely lovely lovely lovely lovely lovely bike.  So lovely that I may even go home and bake a cake for the LBS to say thank you for her supreme loveliness.  Hurrah!)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1230 on: 29 January, 2010, 05:31:14 pm »
Is Reply # 1234 in a foreign language?Too clever for me all that lectrickery stuff :& it bites  :o

Oops, sorry about that.  The cunningness here is that instead of the standard method of using diodes to convert the alternating current from the dynamo to DC, this is using transistors to effectively 'connect' the dynamo only when it is producing a higher voltage than the capacitor (which is acting as a small rechargeable battery) has stored.  As the dynamo output drops, it is 'disconnected' to prevent the stored charge being wasted by flowing backwards through the dynamo. The transistors work in pairs to 'connect' the dynamo 'the other way round' on every half-cycle, so the AC is converted to DC in the process.  The capacitor stores charge, smoothing out this pulsating voltage and providing a reserve to keep things going for a bit while the wheel is stopped (as in a standlight).

This has the advantage that the transistors, unlike diodes, do not 'drop' significant voltage.  This means that the full output voltage of the dynamo goes into the capacitor, which means the regulator can continue to provide a valid 5V USB charging voltage at lower speeds (and I'm all about the low speeds).  It also means that hardly any power is wasted as heat in the AC-DC conversion process.

For additional cunning, I'm not using your standard regulator.  Instead of wasting the difference between its input and output voltage as heat, this one switches on and off rapidly, in a manner not entirely unlike the first half of the circuit.  This is much more efficient (the device claims 92-94% efficiency), and makes nearly all of the dynamo's output available for powering something useful (in this case, a USB phone charger).

Make sense?

Since capacitors and electronics, like the rest of us, don't like being exposed to overly high voltages, there are a pair of zener diodes limiting the dynamo's output to 16V, in the same way they'd be used to prevent a halogen lamp from blowing at high speed.  The higher this 'clamp' voltage, the more power can be extracted from the dynamo.  Unfortunately, the limiting factor here is the regulator, which accepts a maximum of 18V on its input, so I can't actually increase it by that much.

I'll handwave over the bit where I made a rookie mistake in using an oscilloscope.  ;D

Next step is to work out the best way of politely charging potentially odd numbers of NiMHs (I have a head torch that takes 3 cells, but lights and GPS take 2) from an unreliable power source, possibly a bit of control logic for load shedding (keep the GPS supply going to the bitter end, but stop charging batteries if I'm puffing up a hill and there isn't much power available) and of course all that awkward physical construction stuff.  Also investigate solar panels, as it would be trivial to add one as an additional power source, and that might be useful for camping trips where less time is spent in the saddle.

Chris S

« Reply #1231 on: 29 January, 2010, 06:02:18 pm »
I've got a link somewhere deep in my favourites, to a thread on a different forum where someone came up with a dynohub charger. They used some rechargeable batteries as the regulator to soak up the surges from the dynamo.

However, I also don't know what I'm talking about; it's all gobbledygook to me. I only use electronics after someone smart has performed magick with a soldering iron.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1232 on: 29 January, 2010, 06:14:08 pm »
I've got a link somewhere deep in my favourites, to a thread on a different forum where someone came up with a dynohub charger. They used some rechargeable batteries as the regulator to soak up the surges from the dynamo.

Yeah, I considered that.  It works, but isn't all that good for the batteries, and I'm not sure about efficiency, given that most of the time it'll be powering a GPS/phone, rather than charging AAs.

This is as much an exercise in masturbatory over-engineering as practical design :)

« Reply #1233 on: 29 January, 2010, 06:50:08 pm »
Had the fixie wheels on the truing stand and got them to Rizla paper standard.  :thumbsup:

Also went round the tyres with tweezers and removed about a dozen minute pieces of embedded glass.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #1234 on: 30 January, 2010, 05:48:23 pm »
I had planned to wash the Etape last weekend but events overtook me.
Riding to work on Thursday I noticed and heard a clunk from the chain.
I have been checking the wear regularly and did not think it was too far yet so it was a bit surprising.
Anyway, my fettling has found this:

I also found the reason for my front end sounding like something was loose. It was.  The new brakes I installed were not as tight as they should be. 

I do enjoy fettling.  :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1235 on: 30 January, 2010, 05:51:35 pm »
That's a lucky escape.  What happens next is that the chain bends because only one plate is taking the strain, then that plate pops off a rivet at one end and your nads become intimately acquainted with the top tube  :facepalm:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rdaviesb

« Reply #1236 on: 30 January, 2010, 08:18:33 pm »
Thanks to the generosity of MSeries I was able to spend some of the day turning this......

into this.

...which will be installed on my 20 something year old Mal Rees tourer when I have found a suitable set of handlebars.

« Reply #1237 on: 30 January, 2010, 08:27:25 pm »
Would have cost you more had I polished it !!! I don't think it was every shiney like that. Always had a brushed al look.

BTW I have the matching handlebars but they are currently in service. For the price of some new ones I could be persuaded to sell them to you. I'd need to do some stem measuring first though

:thumbsup:

BTW I once bought a bike from Mal Rees Cycles in Hayes, Middx

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1238 on: 30 January, 2010, 08:53:57 pm »
no piccies :(

rdaviesb

« Reply #1239 on: 30 January, 2010, 10:00:09 pm »

Coldharbour Lane. I remember it well, living just the other side of the Uxbridge Road. I bought my frame in about 5 instalments, paid for out from the proceeds of a sweeping job I had at the Penguin warehouse at Heathrow. First decent bike I'd ever had and I don't think I'll ever part with it. Shame it's not a Bill Hurlow!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1240 on: 30 January, 2010, 10:04:50 pm »
Superstoker & I fitted the new RaceBlades to his Trek.  He was keen, helpful & happy with the result.

We also dropped his bars a few mm. 

:)
Getting there...

« Reply #1241 on: 30 January, 2010, 10:11:59 pm »

Coldharbour Lane. I remember it well, living just the other side of the Uxbridge Road. I bought my frame in about 5 instalments, paid for out from the proceeds of a sweeping job I had at the Penguin warehouse at Heathrow. First decent bike I'd ever had and I don't think I'll ever part with it. Shame it's not a Bill Hurlow!
Yes, that's right. I was living in Crowland Avenue at the time, which is between the station and the M4. I worked at EMI Records on Uxbridge Road

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1242 on: 31 January, 2010, 05:32:38 pm »
I spent the afternoon cleaning the bike, which was very necessary after three weeks commutes on roads covered in salt and/or water, plus the Willy Warmer ride on sodden roads (fortunately the roads yesterday were dry). This was the first time I've removed the chain using the magic link that came with the new chain and it makes the job of cleaning the chain soooo much easier :thumbsup:. The bike is now hanging up in the garage drying and hopefully the ride tomorrow will be more pleasant on a clean, well lubricated, bike.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1243 on: 31 January, 2010, 06:10:24 pm »
Cleaned my bike.  Or, at least, I smeared the accummulated grut round a bit. :-\

Should be rather lighter now.  Just got to oil the chain and adjust the rear brake now :)

Oh - and see if I can have another go at that light bracket.
Getting there...

rogerzilla

« Reply #1244 on: 31 January, 2010, 06:17:39 pm »
Cleaned the chain, sprocket and chainring on the Inbred.  I only did it last on New Year's Eve but the weather has been filthy.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1245 on: 31 January, 2010, 06:28:33 pm »
Oh and I did an emergency fettle on Butterfly's front brake.  I put some brake blocks where there were worn stubs. :o
Getting there...

« Reply #1246 on: 31 January, 2010, 07:21:25 pm »
Lights in the kitchen. One side had not been working for months. They are low voltage with the transformer in a spherical case stuck to the ceiling and the transformer had blown. I couldn't find anything similar anywhere.

The other day I had a revelation, got a ceiling rose and put an ordinary transformer on top of the cupboard. Sorted.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

rogerzilla

« Reply #1247 on: 31 January, 2010, 07:33:05 pm »
Our bathroom lights have eaten three transformers since 2002 but not a single one of the ten MR16 lamps  ::-)

Since I stopped buying the shite Chinese transformers and got marginally more expensive "European-made" ones in 2005 we haven't lost one.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1248 on: 31 January, 2010, 09:21:49 pm »
A graunchy noise at the rear brake lever rang alarm bells, so I've just replaced inner & outer cables, which was a bit of a job.
Getting there...

« Reply #1249 on: 31 January, 2010, 09:48:47 pm »
Brief fettling frenzy, begun by washing both mountain bikes when Mrs B & I got home. Wore off by the time I'd patched all the punctured inner tubes I could find. Apart from the one which appeared to have perished without ever being used, that is. :( I almost cried. It had gone along the creases where it was rolled up.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897