Author Topic: Calling cat owners - advice please.  (Read 3141 times)

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
Calling cat owners - advice please.
« on: 24 September, 2016, 05:29:40 pm »
Mrs Milly Cat is quite a stressy cat and has been known to have cystitis from time to time.  This morning she seemed to be okay, nothing out of the ordinary.  I changed the litter trays as usual (she has two - one upstairs that she poos in and one downstairs for wees).  She'd done a big wee this morning.  She's usually happy in the house, but does like to have the door open so that she can sit on the door step and watch out or sit on the bench next to the house.  At about 12 noon she came tearing into the house at top speed. She first went to her down stairs litter tray and then to her upstairs litter tray.  Strangely she did a poo in the down stairs litter tray. She spent an hour going backward and forwards between each tray, seemingly straining. There was no blood and she isn't weeing anywhere other than the litter trays, both of which would denote UTI or cystitis. She's also not attempting to hide away.  THen after an hour she went to her food bowl and ate a bit, went to the kitchen to her drinks bowl and drank and returned to the living room and jumped up on the sofa and has been sleeping there for about 3 hours.  I've taken her dry food away and left her with wet food only, put a little water into her wet food made sure the water bowls have fresh water and sprayed felispray around the place to calm her down.  I called the vet as I was worried, incidentally  I'm an over anxious cat owner, they've told me that as there is no blood and she's eating, I'm to monitor her urine output and take her in tomorrow or Monday if I'm still worried. 

Has anyone else experienced this with their cats? Or have any more suggestions that might help calmer or ease her discomfort if it's mild cysitis?  My friend suggested giving a little coconut oil, which she lapped of my fingers and asked for more. Any advice gratefully received.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Calling cat owners - advice please.
« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2016, 06:50:17 pm »
The vet said to me when Pete was in this week that cat urine is generally acidic, and alkalinity is an indication of a problem. So, much like human cystitis, it's probably a good idea to try to re-acidify things. No idea how you'd do that - live yogurt? Or just encouraging her to drink as much as possible - maybe poach some chicken and give her the cooled water.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

lou boutin

« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2016, 07:11:32 pm »
The vet said to me when Pete was in this week that cat urine is generally acidic, and alkalinity is an indication of a problem. So, much like human cystitis, it's probably a good idea to try to re-acidify things. No idea how you'd do that - live yogurt? Or just encouraging her to drink as much as possible - maybe poach some chicken and give her the cooled water.

Thanks. I've j St given a few spoonfuls of plain yoghurt and she is lapping it up with gusto.  She hasn't been to either litter tray for about about 4.5 hours and is grooming herself all over without concentrating on her bum.  I'm going to give some more wet food with a bit more water in and go to mum's to see if she has some chicken I can have (I'm veggie) to cook for her.  I will try her with the water.  Thanks for the advice.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2016, 07:17:15 pm »
If she's not been bothering the litter trays for 3 hours I'd try not to worry too much, sounds like it might have been stress.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

lou boutin

« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2016, 07:29:00 pm »
I wondered if it's stress as she's not done wees anywhere other than the litter tray and has been sleeping on the sofa and not bothered with the litter tray for several hours.  I'm going to watch her urine and keep her off dry food for a while. If she doesn't wee or strains again I will take her to the vet tomorrow. 

Thanks Mrs P

lou boutin

« Reply #5 on: 25 September, 2016, 06:28:11 pm »
Milly Cat has been to the vet.  They got her to do a urine sample; well she did a wee on the nurse and hissed at the vet (apparently they had to make her angry to get her to pass water) They've analysed the sample and she has an infection.  We have medication to calm her  and some antibiotics.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 25 September, 2016, 07:09:20 pm »
Sorry, but I laughed at the wee on the nurse  :-[

Hopefully she's feeling better shortly :)

lou boutin

« Reply #7 on: 25 September, 2016, 07:42:13 pm »
Thank you, I hope she's better soon too.  I felt sorry for the nurse; she was very magnanimous and said it was all part of the job. 

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Calling cat owners - advice please.o
« Reply #8 on: 29 September, 2016, 07:01:14 pm »
Feliway works on stressed cats for a few weeks at least.  It turns them into peace-and-love stoners.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 29 September, 2016, 07:15:00 pm »
Feliway works on stressed cats for a few weeks at least.  It turns them into peace-and-love stoners.

I didn't find Feliway had a noticeable effect and I understand it's efficacy is not well proven...
http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2010/06/pheromone-therapy-for-dogs-and-cats-whats-the-evidence/
http://catsandsquirrels.com/feliway/

lou boutin

Re: Calling cat owners - advice please
« Reply #10 on: 29 September, 2016, 09:52:21 pm »
Thanks both, Milly had a UTI which was probably caused by stress.  The vet has given me some pussycat Mogodon (no puns intended), a tablet to line her urinary tract that also has a substance Included that is found in mother cat's milk that is calming, and some antibiotics. She's tolerating them all and is now doing big wees.  She's is curled up next to me as I type and is purring away happily.  I have some felispray which I use, but I don't know if it helps her.  She seems to be much calmer when my friend comes around, Milly seems to like the smell of her clothes, which usually smell of the insents sticks she burns in her therapy room.  I might get some and see if they do calm Milly. 

ian

« Reply #11 on: 02 October, 2016, 11:50:24 am »
Feliway has no notable effects on our two critters. Or me.

Catnip gives them about five minutes of the crazies before they sprawl out like teenage stoners.

Catnip doesn't affect me either.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #12 on: 02 October, 2016, 07:21:47 pm »
The former Mrs eck ( :thumbsup:) got Feliway for Mia (her cat), who was nervous, suspicious of strangers and at times aggressive. It didn't seem to make much difference to her (the cat's) behaviour.
But, I'll tell you what: since the former Mrs eck left me and Mia, about 18 months ago, Mia The Cat is much more relaxed, welcoming and friendly.
I couldn't possibly comment....  :-X
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

lou boutin

« Reply #13 on: 03 October, 2016, 02:14:20 pm »
I think they are very sensitive to stress. Milly lived in a stressed household before coming to me and is still sensitive to stress.  This time i think it was because of routine changes, Mr Boutin being here during the week, me not being at work and being ill and then me moving the office around - which is where she likes to be a lot of the time.