Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391028 times)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #1200 on: 01 January, 2019, 10:31:56 am »
"Start / Finish list
There is a Start / Finish list on your organiser page..."

No, there isn't. It's not just that I can't edit the list, there is no list at all - or at least no link to the list. It makes no sense to me that an org wouldn't be able to see the start/finish list for their own event and sounds more like the result of a glitch in the system than nannying of a new org.

Having logged in and gone to 'Organisers' in the blue sidebar you don't see your Permanent(s) listed?

when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1201 on: 01 January, 2019, 11:10:01 am »
Having logged in and gone to 'Organisers' in the blue sidebar you don't see your Permanent(s) listed?

I can see my permanent listed but the ‘Update rider list’ button is missing.

It could be a new organiser thing as Manotea suggests but I’m awaiting clarification from the permsec on this.

Regarding the missing calendar event results, it has been pointed out to me that they aren’t kept forever on your organiser!s page but they are still visible in the general results listings. (This I find slightly puzzling because I would have assumed the results were drawn from the same database as the organiser’s finishers list.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #1202 on: 01 January, 2019, 12:24:04 pm »
It could be a new organiser thing as Manotea suggests but I’m awaiting clarification from the permsec on this.

No I think it must be a glitch.  What is the Event Number of your Permanent?

Results are (currently) stored in a separate table from the Start/Finish lists.  The thinking was that AUK are only interested in the records of successful participants, and all others are discarded.  That thinking has changed somewhat in the last 2 or 3 years, and there is now more interest - even if only for statistical purposes - in all entrants successful or not.  So yes, it would make more sense in future to use one table for both purposes.  But that's rather a big structural change to undertake when the website has a limited future.

citoyen

« Reply #1203 on: 01 January, 2019, 01:03:01 pm »
No I think it must be a glitch.  What is the Event Number of your Permanent?

DK01

But that's rather a big structural change to undertake when the website has a limited future.

Indeed.

Anyway, I have kept my own records of finishers on my event so it’s academic.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #1204 on: 01 January, 2019, 01:50:38 pm »
I was wrong, visibility of the list is an option settable by John.  I've made yours visible.  Simply adding a Date Ridden to any line in the list makes it 'Provisional'** and passes it on to John for rubber-stamping.

** Provisional results are immediately visible publicly but not fully integrated (points totals etc) until the next day.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1205 on: 01 January, 2019, 06:56:31 pm »
I was wrong, visibility of the list is an option settable by John.  I've made yours visible.  Simply adding a Date Ridden to any line in the list makes it 'Provisional'** and passes it on to John for rubber-stamping.

** Provisional results are immediately visible publicly but not fully integrated (points totals etc) until the next day.
What is John checking before "rubber-stamping" the rides? (By which I really mean - what can he see to check?? Should one still post completed cards to him?)

I've never used this feature - I've followed instructions received, which led me to do everything by paper+royal_mail!  (we're only talking about tiny numbers of rides here, I don't really figure in the grand scheme of things :) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #1206 on: 02 January, 2019, 11:21:51 am »
John supplies 'trusted' organisers with a batch of validation stickers, without which the brevet card is not validated.  So if you don't have the stickers (and they are dated for year) you have to send the cards in.

citoyen

« Reply #1207 on: 02 January, 2019, 12:08:30 pm »
I was wrong, visibility of the list is an option settable by John.  I've made yours visible.

Thank you, and thanks for taking the time to look into it.

I have no problem with sending the cards back to John for validation (same as for calendar events - makes sense to have some level of supervision for new organisers), it's just the not being able to see the rider list online that was baffling me.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #1208 on: 06 January, 2019, 06:37:28 pm »
appologies if this has been asked before, but regarding Audax route sheets etc ( its been a few years since I last did a 200k) do many folks still use the printed paper sheet on the ride, or have most now gone over to Garmin / download stuff?

« Reply #1209 on: 06 January, 2019, 06:57:13 pm »
appologies if this has been asked before, but regarding Audax route sheets etc ( its been a few years since I last did a 200k) do many folks still use the printed paper sheet on the ride, or have most now gone over to Garmin / download stuff?
I use both, garmin gpx route and the printed route sheet..

« Reply #1210 on: 06 January, 2019, 07:03:32 pm »
I use both on all rides now, but there are still some who only use routesheets.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #1211 on: 06 January, 2019, 07:08:07 pm »

So am I right in thinking the sheet is a 'backup' , I mean if you went out without the garmin, would you feel 'ill prepared / naked'

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1212 on: 06 January, 2019, 07:29:22 pm »
I think that depends very much on you. You will be riding, you will have to follow the route somehow. If you're not used to a GPS, then try following the route sheet, as that's presumably what you did in the past. I find a GPS easier to follow but it doesn't seem worth buying one specially for what might be a one-off event. OTOH, if you use a GPS anyway, it would be counter-intuitive at best not to use it for an audax too.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1213 on: 06 January, 2019, 07:39:37 pm »
I ride against my GPS and I'll have a routesheet as a backup but it'll be stuffed away in a bag rather than on the bars all the time. Only once I've needed it (when I hadn't properly charged my GPS and wasn't carrying a powerpack).

Actually, twice, I also got to the start of a ride and found I only had the GPS track for the second loop, so did the first loop from routesheet. I don't feel fazed by it at all because I used routesheets for a few years of Audaxing before getting a GPS so I'm familiar with them.

A good memory helps, I can pick up a routesheet at pretty much any point in a ride and know where I am on it based on the recent turns/etc. I can judge distances/time reasonably well too so not having an odometer won't faze me.

The most annoying thing about GPS packing up (for whatever reason) is not collecting that precious data.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1214 on: 06 January, 2019, 07:52:37 pm »

So am I right in thinking the sheet is a 'backup' , I mean if you went out without the garmin, would you feel 'ill prepared / naked'
No, the backup is pages from a road atlas. I was, and would be, happy with just the route sheet.

During the day I like to use the route sheet to see the distance to the next instruction ( and I can relax if I know it is a T-junction in 15km.) The Garmin is just to confirm I am still on the route and helps to understand complex junctions.

After dark I use the Garmin more to avoid the faff of headtorches and lights to read the routesheet.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #1215 on: 14 January, 2019, 12:19:29 pm »
Just flicking through the latest event results and saw that some people have a "20xxx" membership number - does that mean more than 1,000 people joined AUK as members during 2018?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #1216 on: 14 January, 2019, 06:41:14 pm »
Just flicking through the latest event results and saw that some people have a "20xxx" membership number - does that mean more than 1,000 people joined AUK as members during 2018?
And expect to see 21xxx very soon in the results, as we passed that number not long after new year.
There were around 1300 new joiners in calendar year 2018. However we do experience a significant turnover in membership every year. We have around 1400 lapsed members right now (ie those whose membership expired on 31/12/18). I expect a fair number of them to renew still - I think some don't remember until they try to enter an event and realise they can't - but quite a lot won't.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1217 on: 14 January, 2019, 06:46:57 pm »
Coo! Won't be long until a new member's Membership Number is ten times mine!

« Reply #1218 on: 08 February, 2019, 01:57:54 pm »
How exactly does a secret control work?  e.g. on a mandatory route calendar event...  Can't seem to find any info.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1219 on: 08 February, 2019, 02:10:46 pm »
How exactly does a secret control work?  e.g. on a mandatory route calendar event...  Can't seem to find any info.

You ride along the route and the secret control should be obvious when approaching it. It might just be someone in a hi-vis vest standing in a lay-by with an AUK Controle sign stuck in a car window. It should just be a stamp-and-go kind of control but the controller may have refreshments if they've got their car with them.

If you're on the route you'd be very unlikely to be miss it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1220 on: 08 February, 2019, 02:14:23 pm »
A well-placed secret control might be located somewhere which could be eliminated by a rider who cheats by using a short cut.

« Reply #1221 on: 08 February, 2019, 02:28:33 pm »
Thanks.  edit.  might the total number of SCs remain unknown, so that a rider (tempted by a shortcut) would not know definitely whether they had been through all the SCs..?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1222 on: 09 February, 2019, 08:57:10 am »
If we’re talking about the U.K, they’re a very recent invention and the only events I’m aware of are those by Manotea of this parish. Those are all on events that existed as non-mandatory route before so the route distance is enforced by conventional controls. I don’t know if he bothers organising secret controls.

Therefore it’s not clear to me that an AUK secret control has ever existed in practice.

« Reply #1223 on: 09 February, 2019, 09:02:38 am »
There were secret controls on Mille Cymru last year.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1224 on: 09 February, 2019, 09:03:41 am »
Secret controls used to be quite common in AUK brevets last century.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...