Author Topic: 50th B'day soon, asking for an Iberital MC2 ... anything else I should consider?  (Read 1847 times)

I've got a Porlex which'll be great for the office with the Aeropress.
I use pre-ground for my Bialetti and I reckon it's time to move-up a step.  I'm 50 in a few weeks and thinking of asking for an Iberital MC2 from some of the folks.  Any reason why not?
I've an old Braun blade jobby for the Cafitieres (which works just fine) so don't need to play with the settings much.

So, before I take the plunge, any other considerations?

Can't think of one!

How often do you switch beans? I've found the setting needs to be tuned for each different roast. You can of course fiddle with the timer instead, but it is fiddly.

I don't regret getting mine, far from it, but it isn't hassle free. Sounds like you already knew that though. Another consideration is that it is something of a pain if you only want to grind a few beans at a time and switch beans. Mine seems to need the weight of a large-ish amount of beans in the hopper to really grind well. You can't easily remove the hopper and place it in the freezer to preserve the beans. Maybe someone else has worked out a way around this.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

How often do you switch beans? I've found the setting needs to be tuned for each different roast. You can of course fiddle with the timer instead, but it is fiddly.

I don't regret getting mine, far from it, but it isn't hassle free. Sounds like you already knew that though. Another consideration is that it is something of a pain if you only want to grind a few beans at a time and switch beans. Mine seems to need the weight of a large-ish amount of beans in the hopper to really grind well. You can't easily remove the hopper and place it in the freezer to preserve the beans. Maybe someone else has worked out a way around this.

Maybe not so easy to live with then ... but what other options on a limited budget?  I'm certainly low on the coffee making curve
Is it overkill or would say a Dualit be good enough?
I don't forsea lot's of change of beans but who knows what the future may bring ....

AFAIK, it's the best at the price. I think the man who used to be known as Monsieur Pumpe and whose current forum name I cannot write, might recommend a Mazzer, but that would need very generous folks. The MC2 will do the job extremely well, but be prepared for a bit of a faff to get the settings right. I'm maybe sounding a little negative, but I am very glad I have mine. It's the doser version, FWIW. Having said that, I got mine secondhand for only £80 from AndrewC of this very parish. I'm not sure I would go the whole hog of a new one. How long have you had the Porlex? Try grinding enough for three or four cups with it when friends are around and you'll love the MC2 :) Go for it!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Have a look at the Gaggia MDF, seems to be a similar price. It's very easy to change grind settings by just rotating the hopper a click or two either way - I think there's 32 settings, I'm generally on 9 for espresso but frequently change to 8 or 10 if different beans cause too short/long extractions. The actual setting numbers are somewhat arbitrary though, depending on how close the burrs are when it's assembled (or re-assembled...)

It's slightly plasticky in construction, but I've taken it apart to clean thoroughly and it all went back together fine. Replacement burrs are easily available.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Congratulations! I read the entire OP twice without any clue as to what it was you wanted. It was only on reading some of the responses that I gathered that you are hankering after a coffee machine! :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
This is what I have (Xmas prezzie 2 years ago), absolutely stunning looks (Saeco red) and amazing coffee. Currently on special offer too!

http://www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=bbbb-a-saeco-syntia&cat=109