Author Topic: more insane management speak phrases  (Read 146344 times)

fuzzy

Re: more insane management speak phrases
« Reply #350 on: 08 December, 2014, 08:39:26 am »
"You can put the tree up after the kids have gone home."
Drat - when I first saw this I was expecting some bizarre analogy,  with no trees and kids actually involved. I spent several moments wondering wot on EARTH it could mean.

:facepalm:
;D

Andrew

« Reply #351 on: 08 December, 2014, 11:42:41 am »
"You can put the tree up after the kids have gone home."

I like that. It's given me an idea: sounds like insane management metaphor but is in fact literal.

« Reply #352 on: 09 December, 2014, 07:21:50 am »
"It can wash its face"

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #353 on: 09 December, 2014, 05:55:50 pm »
"It can wash its face"

Commonly used up here. Means that the event breaks even or better.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #354 on: 09 December, 2014, 06:07:09 pm »
"It can wash its face"

Commonly used up here. Means that the event breaks even or better.
Yep,  I've heard it a few times "down here" in that context.

A quick google suggests its more commonly used to indicate profitable businesses,  but fails to tell me the derivation. A challenge for someone clvererer than me!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #355 on: 09 December, 2014, 09:00:16 pm »
Sounds like something off Silence Of The Lambs  :-\
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #356 on: 10 December, 2014, 08:39:29 am »
Washing lambs faces is a common task undertaken by those farmers  who want to achieve higher prices as the animals go through an auction ring. (One of my schoolfriends was often absent on Friday as they prepared their lambs for sale at the local market held on Saturday.)
Not sure if that is the origin though.

« Reply #357 on: 10 December, 2014, 05:24:16 pm »
I'd always imagined it was a reference to young or newborn animals - lambs or kittens I guess - becoming able to wash their own faces and so demonstrating that they are robust and independently viable. No source for that, just the picture that expression conjures up if I think about it.

« Reply #358 on: 10 December, 2014, 05:40:21 pm »
That makes perfect sense. To my ears, when used by non-farming southeners to describe an app it sounds like insane management speak.

rr

« Reply #359 on: 10 December, 2014, 09:20:21 pm »
How many times can you get change into a job advert

Job Description:

Great opportunity for 2 established Change Consultants to join a well-respected public sector organisation. Candidates with a slant towards people oriented change initiatives are particularly encouraged to apply.

2 Change Consultants required (1 senior / 1 Junior) on a 12-18 month fixed term contract by our public sector client based in Essex. Reporting to the Change Manager you will support the delivery of change programmes at business and project level which in turn contribute to an overall organisational change programme.

The ideal candidates for this role will have significant experience around people oriented change initiatives / projects, potentially in a public sector setting. The Change Consultant will support the both the development and implementation of change plans for a business areas. The Change Consultants role will be to apply a consistent change methodology helping to ensure that the benefits of the change programmes are fully realised and that sustainable change is delivered.

This is a great opportunity for a people oriented Change professional to join a well-respected organisation in their field. Our client is looking for a quick turnaround and is offering a competitive salary so please send your CV today to apply.

Skills:

•Application of effective change tools to diagnose the scale and impact of the proposed changes
•Development of innovative targeted change interventions to enable sustainable transformational change.
•Co-production, management and implementation of change plans
•Providing change expertise and advice to key stakeholders.
•A deep understanding of people change and its complexities
•A track record of supporting, implementing and enabling successful transformational change

Person Specification:

•Resilience, self-management and confident working within a changing environment with a  wide range of people
•A strong team player who excels in a collaborative environment.

« Reply #360 on: 11 December, 2014, 12:23:32 am »
 :'(

Job Description:

Great opportunity for 2 established Change Consultants to join a well-respected public sector organisation. Candidates with a slant towards people oriented change initiatives are particularly encouraged to apply.

2 Change Consultants required (1 senior / 1 Junior) on a 12-18 month fixed term contract by our public sector client based in Essex. Reporting to the Change Manager you will support the delivery of change programmes at business and project level which in turn contribute to an overall organisational change programme.

The ideal candidates for this role will have significant experience around people oriented change initiatives / projects, potentially in a public sector setting. The Change Consultant will support the both the development and implementation of change plans for a business areas. The Change Consultants role will be to apply a consistent change methodology helping to ensure that the benefits of the change programmes are fully realised and that sustainable change is delivered.

This is a great opportunity for a people oriented Change professional to join a well-respected organisation in their field. Our client is looking for a quick turnaround and is offering a competitive salary so please send your CV today to apply.

Skills:

•Application of effective change tools to diagnose the scale and impact of the proposed changes
•Development of innovative targeted change interventions to enable sustainable transformational change.
•Co-production, management and implementation of change plans
•Providing change expertise and advice to key stakeholders.
•A deep understanding of people change and its complexities
•A track record of supporting, implementing and enabling successful transformational change

Person Specification:

•Resilience, self-management and confident working within a changing environment with a  wide range of people
•A strong team player who excels in a collaborative environment.

Will the Change Consultants deliver Change on the B Ark?

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #361 on: 11 December, 2014, 12:50:51 am »

Reminds me of an xkcd graph predicting how prevalent and then dominant the word 'sustainable' will become, extrapolated from recent trends: http://xkcd.com/1007

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #362 on: 15 April, 2015, 03:05:22 pm »
Preparatory work for the K2 Workflow Service on the Land MOSS Farm took place on the weekend of 11th April 2015.  Once fully enabled, the K2 Workflow Service will provide an Enterprise-wide platform to allow the MOD to develop, administer and run workflow solutions that will support business processes.

:sick:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #363 on: 15 April, 2015, 07:29:05 pm »
Preparatory work for the K2 Workflow Service on the Land MOSS Farm took place on the weekend of 11th April 2015.  Once fully enabled, the K2 Workflow Service will provide an Enterprise-wide platform to allow the MOD to develop, administer and run workflow solutions that will support business processes.

*Points Guy in general direction of the armoury. Provides chitty authorising use of live ammunition*  Have fun. :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #364 on: 15 April, 2015, 10:21:46 pm »
If the MOD needs land for a moss farm, K2 is most unlikely to be the ideal location for it.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #365 on: 16 April, 2015, 07:45:53 am »

Probably a sign I've been sitting too close to the Sharepoint team at work, but that reads perfectly and makes sense to me.  :facepalm:

(MOSS == Microsoft Office SharePoint Server)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #366 on: 16 April, 2015, 09:21:42 am »
If the MOD needs land for a moss farm, K2 is most unlikely to be the ideal location for it.

;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

fuzzy

« Reply #367 on: 16 April, 2015, 10:10:20 am »

Won't stop someone in Ministry of Defence procurement circles from being convinced that it is a great idea and cheap as chips though.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #368 on: 16 April, 2015, 04:33:07 pm »
The finance director of a company I am working with constantly uses the term "positive jaws" when commenting on the performance of bits of the business.  Nobody I have asked knows what he means by it, even though quite a few have started using it themselves, yet nobody has yet had the courage to ask the FD what he means by it either...

Anyone know?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #370 on: 16 April, 2015, 04:38:34 pm »
The finance director of a company I am working with constantly uses the term "positive jaws" when commenting on the performance of bits of the business.  Nobody I have asked knows what he means by it, even though quite a few have started using it themselves, yet nobody has yet had the courage to ask the FD what he means by it either...

Anyone know?

it means he is a wnaker

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #371 on: 17 April, 2015, 07:22:59 am »
W1A is back, so there should be some more silly speaks making their way into general use.
It is simpler than it looks.

Si_Co

« Reply #372 on: 17 April, 2015, 12:53:54 pm »
Have we had 'bandwidth', we must have done, sales are unsure if your taking the proverbial when you reply with the IT dept's email address when there is 'sub-optimal bandwidth'. Mind you the following conversation gave him a clue

Me: do you need a mirror?
Him: why?
Me: in order to see out of your rectum

My popularity knows no bounds.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #373 on: 17 April, 2015, 01:33:03 pm »
Elsewhere on that Intertubes, that they have now, someone swears blind that he actually heard the actual word "performativity" (meaning "performance") actually being used.  As the subject under discussion was Formula One motor racing, it is suspected that the culprit is a Mr Ronald "Ron" Dennis of Surrey and rural Neptune.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #374 on: 27 April, 2015, 11:54:44 am »
Looking at the business stats is now "pulse checking."
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.