Author Topic: Audax Fixed gear - Build or Buy?  (Read 15519 times)

Audax Fixed gear - Build or Buy?
« on: 26 April, 2015, 05:27:46 pm »
Hows it going guys, just want to pick some brains, you lot may have far more experience than I, I'm interested in getting some long distance rides in starting with 100/200km with a eye on LEL in a bit.

(long story short commuted for a few years on a hybrid, cycled a bmx 30km a day for a month for a charity thing, then graduated to a fixed gear, current commuter is a langster Monaco not by choice more by trades)

Sooooooo im interested in getting/building a comfy long distance machine albeit fixed gear. Do I try a pick up a Reynolds 531 frame and buy parts or should I simply buy one?

I am looking to keep this the best value as kids/life commitments get in the way of shiny new things

Cheers for reading looking forward to the advice

rob

Re: Audax Fixed gear - Build or Buy?
« Reply #1 on: 26 April, 2015, 06:47:43 pm »
Can go either way depending on what you can get hold of.   My first fixed Audax rides were on a langster - up to 600k.   I then got hold of a ridgeback for 400 quid, upgrading the wheels after 6 months.   I went on to do PBP and the Dutch Capitals 1400 on that bike.   Eventually I got a brand new Condor Tempo which did LEL and will hopefully take me to PBP this year.

I've been fairly successful picking up bargains in the end of season sales at Evans and Cycle Surgery.

Rob

« Reply #2 on: 26 April, 2015, 07:40:53 pm »
What about a Genesis Flyer?

*He asks coyly, because he can't be bothered to create his thread about it*

(Or build your own Condor Tempo - http://www.condorcycles.com/Single-Speed-Track/25148-Condor-Tempo-Frameset/flypage.tpl.html  :thumbsup:)

« Reply #3 on: 26 April, 2015, 07:59:48 pm »
I'd look for a decent classic road frame with long drop-outs.  Having said that, I've just built this.

« Reply #4 on: 26 April, 2015, 08:11:51 pm »
@ rob which langster? steel or alu? did you make any modifications or any reccomendations for taking it from my daily commuter to all day steed.

My better half likes the idea of using what I have although I have my foot in the door with her getting in a little bit of touring with me (stopping for tea and cake helps, a Dublin to athlone trip might be in the works 200km there and back  :D )

As for picking up a good road frame I'd love to have a bit of pride in something I part built, any pointers in what I should be looking for? is it Reynolds 531 or bust?

I've been inspired by this beauty http://sheldonbrown.com/images/pbp-emilys-ralieighpro.jpg

rob

« Reply #5 on: 26 April, 2015, 08:34:46 pm »
Basic ally Langster.   2008 model I think.   I still have the frame on the turbo bike.   I replaced parts and upgraded bit by bit.   First upgrade was bb and chainset and then a double sided rear wheel.   That bike was used for audax, commuting, TTs up to 12hrs.   The upright position was bang on, fittings for 2 bottle cages and I squeezed a tubus fly rack on.

The ridgeback I had was very similar to the genesis flyer, but the reynolds 520 frame was comfy but really heavy.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6 on: 26 April, 2015, 08:41:53 pm »
Genesis do (or did?) a day 01 disc frame in , IIRC 853.  Tomsk has one built up as his (winter?) fixed.

I have a 520-framed day 01 disc which I have ridden up to 600km on, and find it a very comfortable bike.  I guess it's probably not dissimilar (brakes aside) from the Ridgeback frame that rob talks about upthread, so I suppose it may be on the heavy side compared to more exotic grades of steel, but I don't really notice that.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7 on: 26 April, 2015, 08:43:19 pm »
regarding 531 you may find it bendy and wobbly, when riding out of saddle and descending. when i started audaxing i've got a 531c raleigh bike, based on suggestions online six years ago. sold it after few months. it did feel smooth and was pretty light for steel so i understand why people like it.

« Reply #8 on: 26 April, 2015, 08:54:57 pm »
So go for a slightly more modern frame? Rather than a Raleigh or peugot that seem to pop up second hand.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #9 on: 26 April, 2015, 09:15:39 pm »
it's a pity that lightweight modern frames with horizontal dropouts are so rare, i've been searching long and hard before i found one. and yes, it's pretty much the one and only manufacturer that makes carbon frame with road geometry, horizontal dropouts and clearances for wider tyres. (and ideally i'd like a ss bike with hydraulic disc brakes)

(i normally use a saddle with more padding)

« Reply #10 on: 26 April, 2015, 09:21:13 pm »
that's a fine lookin bike you got there!

switch bikes? also good god what gearing are you using? looks massive!

« Reply #11 on: 27 April, 2015, 10:21:14 pm »
Basic ally Langster.   2008 model I think.   I still have the frame on the turbo bike.   I replaced parts and upgraded bit by bit.   First upgrade was bb and chainset and then a double sided rear wheel.   That bike was used for audax, commuting, TTs up to 12hrs.   The upright position was bang on, fittings for 2 bottle cages and I squeezed a tubus fly rack on.

The ridgeback I had was very similar to the genesis flyer, but the reynolds 520 frame was comfy but really heavy.

oh last big question what gear did you keep it stock?

« Reply #12 on: 27 April, 2015, 10:28:11 pm »
If you get White Industries Eno eccentric hub, you can use any frame you want.

I've got a fixed (one of 3) built up using a Trek OCLV race frame. It's tremendous fun.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13 on: 27 April, 2015, 10:56:45 pm »
that's a fine lookin bike you got there!

switch bikes? also good god what gearing are you using? looks massive!

thanks, the current gear is 69" which works well for hillier terrain, i swap to 86" for flatter rides. it's a very straightforward swap as i use a different matching chain, so the wheel stays in the same place with no need to re-adjust rear brake pads.
just had a chat with my dad, he had an enjoyable ride today on a steel ss bike from the past century, averaging 29.5kph. now he wants me to build him a fast current day bike.. ::-) the first idea that springs to mind is a langster frame with deep section wheels and aerobars - why not?

rob

« Reply #14 on: 28 April, 2015, 02:51:23 pm »

oh last big question what gear did you keep it stock?

The Langster came with 42*16 which was fine out of the box - although all components were 3/32.   I changed the gear when I bought a new chainset and rear wheel to 48*18 and bought all pieces of the drivetrain in 1/8.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #15 on: 28 April, 2015, 03:05:39 pm »
I have a Genesis Day 01 Disc (520 steel).

It's about as good a winter workhorse as I could hope for, and why I bought it, but I'm not convinced it's a perfect 600km bike. I don't think it's "lively" enough.  Also the rear dropouts (track style) are a bit of an unnecessary faff.

My '90s Orbit 531 single-speed conversion still holds my PB for a 200km Audax.  It's lively and generally more rewarding to ride but lacks the bomb-proof, nothing-gets-in-its-way, nature of the Genesis.

As suggested above, the Genesis Day 01 853 frame may give the best of both worlds.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #16 on: 28 April, 2015, 08:13:36 pm »
i'm beginning to think buying new is the best option, anyone have any experience with a kona paddy wagon? for the time being I'm going to see how far I get with my langster and put some money away for something nice in the future

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #17 on: 28 April, 2015, 08:31:51 pm »
averaging 29.5kph. now he wants me to build him a fast current day bike.. ::-) the first idea that springs to mind is a langster frame with deep section wheels and aerobars - why not?
Have mercy on your dad zigzag, alloy frame and rigid wheels will be way too harsh for old bones! I suppose aero bars might reduce weight on the hands and wrists and spread the load a bit; lucky he's still so flexible  :P

Nelson (jealous he's so.much faster than me)
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

« Reply #18 on: 29 April, 2015, 06:35:06 pm »
When I was looking for a fixed audax bike last year, I found little to buy that was suitable - good components, mudguard clearance, proper rear brake provision, reasonably light. Ended up building mine around a Dolan FXE frameset. The possible exception was the Pearson Once More Into the Breach, but if you are looking to go more traditional with a steel frame that might not your cup of tea, as even I found the paint job a bit too in yer face.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #19 on: 29 April, 2015, 08:09:49 pm »
When I was looking for a fixed audax bike last year, I found little to buy that was suitable - good components, mudguard clearance, proper rear brake provision, reasonably light.

Exactly.

The problem with buying any whole bike are the cost savings hidden in shit wheels, saddle, stem, post, bars, brakes, etc......but it is particularly acute with fixed gears IMO.   

My first fixed was a langster in 2006.  Within about 8 months the only thing left of it was the frame and that went soon after too

« Reply #20 on: 29 April, 2015, 11:35:22 pm »
Having put mine together on Thursday and Friday, then ridden 300k on Saturday, I can say it exceeded my expectations.

Chris N

« Reply #21 on: 05 May, 2015, 08:51:30 am »
When I was looking for a fixed audax bike last year, I found little to buy that was suitable - good components, mudguard clearance, proper rear brake provision, reasonably light.

Exactly.

The problem with buying any whole bike are the cost savings hidden in shit wheels, saddle, stem, post, bars, brakes, etc......but it is particularly acute with fixed gears IMO.   

Agreed.  AFAIK, there isn't really an OTP option for 'audax' fixed.  Work out what you want and build it yourself.  You've got plenty of time before LEL to pull something together that works for you.

« Reply #22 on: 17 May, 2015, 08:52:15 pm »

Exactly.

Agreed.  AFAIK, there isn't really an OTP option for 'audax' fixed.  Work out what you want and build it yourself.  You've got plenty of time before LEL to pull something together that works for you.

I was going to start a new thread, but I'll just hijack this one instead.

What do we reckon of the new new Genesis Flyer? You know the one that ships with SKS mudguards and horizontal-not-track dropouts for less than £500?

Seems alright to me for audax purposes?

Chris N

« Reply #23 on: 17 May, 2015, 09:51:39 pm »
Link? Pics?

« Reply #24 on: 17 May, 2015, 10:00:23 pm »
Link? Pics?

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/a-road/flyer

But that's the new Flyer, not the new new.

New new comes with 25c tyres and guards, horizontal dropouts and Promax brakes.

(As corroborated here - http://road.cc/content/review/144906-genesis-flyer-singlespeed)