Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2999677 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #23375 on: 09 November, 2018, 03:23:29 pm »
If they can get through the Kessler-effect debris barrier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #23377 on: 09 November, 2018, 08:11:15 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/08/kpmg-to-drop-non-audit-services-for-its-ftse-350-clients

About fucking time
although there remains a conflict of interest in the relationship in that the ‘client’ is lying for the auditing. Although how you resolve this short of state audits I don’t really know.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

ElyDave

« Reply #23379 on: 10 November, 2018, 09:01:39 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/08/kpmg-to-drop-non-audit-services-for-its-ftse-350-clients

About fucking time
although there remains a conflict of interest in the relationship in that the ‘client’ is lying for the auditing. Although how you resolve this short of state audits I don’t really know.

Always very difficult, we always have the nuclear option of refusing or withdrawing certification in my game which can have regulatory implications and financial in some cases through supply chain expectations i.e. in the motor industry.  I can't recall any occaision where a company's accounts have failed to be signed off hitting the news, although several holes such as tesco and patisserie valerie later coming to light.  An independent state body might certainly be one answer and also help with tax avoision

The only case I can actually think of is the EU who consistently fail to lodge a signed off set of accounts.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #23380 on: 10 November, 2018, 10:19:49 am »
The only case I can actually think of is the EU who consistently fail to lodge a signed off set of accounts.
I believe this is what is known as "fake news".
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23381 on: 10 November, 2018, 12:20:25 pm »
Aliens will now find Earth elegant.

The weight is defined by ...

Ooops!
Although it does refer to it in the body of the text as a unit of mass.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

« Reply #23382 on: 10 November, 2018, 01:35:53 pm »
I believe this is what is known as "fake news".

Politics, rather than fake news, I suspect.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #23383 on: 10 November, 2018, 05:52:02 pm »
Had a message today on Flickr from a fellow dweller of Furrybootoon who is having a water ingress issue and is looking for advice having found our damp wall photos (oh, the saga)  'on a cycle forum'
 ;D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23384 on: 11 November, 2018, 11:09:32 am »
Found a Duracell 9v battery on a shelf in the workshop: "best before 2001".  I put the voltmeter on it and got 6.13 v.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #23385 on: 12 November, 2018, 01:15:16 pm »
Not really a small thing but OMG TOY STORY 4 - https://youtu.be/LDXYRzerjzU !!!!!!
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23386 on: 12 November, 2018, 04:08:45 pm »
Sunday marked the centenary of Poland regaining independence after WWI. The date is somewhat arbitrary and the anniversary open to dispute, but that's the official celebration. As you can imagine, lots of parades and fireworks all over the country, mostly of course in red and white. And celebrations among Polish communities worldwide as well as foreign governments marking the occasion (thread with photos). Some of the most impressive were in Los Angeles:

prompting praise from Polish parliamentarians. The only trouble is...

...it's just an everyday traffic jam.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #23387 on: 12 November, 2018, 09:12:01 pm »
 ;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23388 on: 12 November, 2018, 09:43:11 pm »
Jacek didn't mention this when he cleaned our windows yesterday.
I was surprised.
He did an excellent job.

« Reply #23389 on: 13 November, 2018, 06:54:29 pm »
It's also rotated 90° anti clockwise from the polski flagski.
Must try harder.

In other news...
Joseph, the chef in my work canteen, appears to be under the impression that 'Brompton' is the generic term for a folding bike.
Any folding bike.
Including the folding Carrera which lives in our bike shed  ::-)
I may've mentioned that the Carrera is probably around 25% of the cost of an entry level Brompton - one of those Bromptons that are made in West London.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #23390 on: 13 November, 2018, 07:52:09 pm »
Watching various vacuum cleaner adverts and several things occurred to me...

What kind of twat has cream carpets, white sofa and a fucking black dog?

Dyson family must have a really skanky house. The floors are strewn with shite and the last time the stairs were dusted John Major was still PM.

Shark family have the biggest, most sterile living space but nowhere to store the fucking vacuum cleaner.

G-Tech bloke needs to get an agency to do his ads coz he's crap.

Judging by Dyson's advanced motor his cure for cancer should be just around the corner.

THREE HUNDRED QUID! Someone's taking the piss . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23391 on: 13 November, 2018, 07:59:03 pm »
Watching various vacuum cleaner adverts and several things occurred to me...

Top rantage.  This is exactly the sort of thing I miss out on through trolling Crapita not having a TV.  I only seem to know about adverts when people rant about them, unless they're for Wix, or the subject of a carefully orchestrated viral campaign that plays the ASA for the fools they are.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23392 on: 13 November, 2018, 08:01:41 pm »
Uniting Jurek's and Tors's rants: hoover.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #23393 on: 14 November, 2018, 05:58:31 am »
Quote from: Jurek
Joseph, the chef in my work canteen, appears to be under the impression that 'Brompton' is the generic term for a folding bike.
Any folding bike.
As Cudzoziemiec said.  I should think the bods at Brompton will be very happy about that although it's unlikely to garner any extra sales given the prices they ask.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23394 on: 14 November, 2018, 08:35:53 am »
Quote from: Jurek
Any folding bike.

All through the 90s "IBM" meant any old PC in France.

essexian

« Reply #23395 on: 14 November, 2018, 12:05:20 pm »
Anyone want to see the holes in my hand caused by a 5mm Allen Key....

Warning, not that nice....

(click to show/hide)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #23396 on: 14 November, 2018, 12:39:05 pm »

(click to show/hide)

(Shudders.....)  How did you manage that?  I can't imagine that even hitting the key into my hand with a hammer could get it to penetrate the skin.

Do tell us, so that I can avoid the inevitable, now I know that it can be done......

I'm now looking at my 5mm Allen keys, lined up in a row, in a whole new light.

ElyDave

« Reply #23397 on: 14 November, 2018, 12:44:56 pm »
 ::-) and  :o

Does this mean we will have to have special training for 5mm allen keys now, and have them signed out/in from the toolbox for each use?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23398 on: 14 November, 2018, 12:52:49 pm »

(click to show/hide)

(Shudders.....)  How did you manage that?  I can't imagine that even hitting the key into my hand with a hammer could get it to penetrate the skin.

I know someone who managed to do something similar (well, worse) by falling while holding her front door key.  Just saying.

essexian

« Reply #23399 on: 14 November, 2018, 01:33:14 pm »
Are you sure you want to know..... Okay, click below if you do, or ignore it if you would rather not know.

(click to show/hide)

Well.... you did ask.  ;D