Author Topic: Free Maps for my Garmin Etrex (microSD)  (Read 17005 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Free Maps for my Garmin Etrex (microSD)
« Reply #25 on: 18 June, 2011, 01:56:29 pm »
I think the Edge 605/705 is only better if you want to minimise the size and weight (like I did), or want certain cycling-specific features.  It's relatively short battery run-time is a common criticism, and the fact the lithium-ion battery can't be changed easily.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

LEE

« Reply #26 on: 18 June, 2011, 02:13:53 pm »
A selling point for me (Etrex Legend HCx) was the availability of AA batteries and how long they last (24 hours claimed and I have no reason to doubt that so far).

« Reply #27 on: 19 June, 2011, 09:15:51 am »
I use the Garmin 705 for commuting (record) and for touring (navigation and record) when using main routes and roads, however it is unsuitable for hill walking so I use  Satmap for this.
 Satmap however does not record speed and altitude in the same way. The larger screena rea and OS maps are an advantage though.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #28 on: 19 June, 2011, 10:18:13 am »
I think the Edge 605/705 is only better if you want to minimise the size and weight

Etrex man here - like LEE it's the AA bats that swing it for me, the integral Li-ion of the Edge would be more acceptable if it was replaceable on the road, but AIUI it's not.   I've never used an Edge but one significant advantage they have is that they can read GPX files that have just been copied on to their SD card using an ordinary file manager - the Etrex can't, it uses a special transfer process that accesses its memory directly.  This makes the Edges more interesting to people who aren't Windows users, or who prefer online route planners to Garmin's own software.
The 'old' Etrex way of doing things has steadily been phased out by Garmin in their other model range updates and the upcoming new Etrex will go the same way - probably not available until the Autumn though.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll