Author Topic: [HAMR] Visualizing the OYTT  (Read 221940 times)

red marley

Re: Visualizing the OYTT
« Reply #300 on: 12 March, 2015, 04:13:30 pm »
So do I.

There is a technical problem with yesterday's Strava uploads for Kurt and William that has prevented me from processing them (unrelated I think to the vehicle transfer being included in Kurt's track). I am looking into it, but have a day job to get out of the way first.

red marley

« Reply #301 on: 12 March, 2015, 10:54:20 pm »
Day 70: Steve claims to have a "rest day" closer to home but still manages almost 200 miles. Kurt had a tough day with a Mississippi headwind, problems with one of his GPS, a broken brake cable and a visit from the puncture fairy. His final leg was on home ground back in Arkansas giving him 176 miles for the day.

red marley

« Reply #302 on: 13 March, 2015, 06:15:06 am »
Day 71: The fourth day in a row in which Steve has ridden further than Kurt slowly closing the gap between them. Steve rides around 220 miles from MK to Hull in good weather. Kurt faces 170 miles of rain around Little Rock, AR.

red marley

« Reply #303 on: 14 March, 2015, 01:13:03 pm »
Day 72: Another solid 214 miles for Steve heading back from Hull to MK. More rain for Kurt and then GPS problems prevent some of his ride from being uploaded and to cap it all, problems with his light bracket cut short his evening riding. The impact of "only" a recorded 58 mile day on his progress shows how vulnerable both riders are to even a small interruption.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #304 on: 14 March, 2015, 01:26:37 pm »
Is it time to loose Mr. IronOx from these snapshots.  The images on replies  Day 70 and Day 71 are much better, except you've gone a bit too far and cut Tommy out.

I really enjoy these daily commentaries.   :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

red marley

« Reply #305 on: 14 March, 2015, 01:43:49 pm »
IronOx rarely features in the graphics now (he's in green if he appears at all). The solid grey line is Tommy; the dashed blue line is Kurt's pre-ride published schedule. I've been trying to vary the scale and emphasis of the daily snapshots a bit to keep some interest. And the interactive version allows you to select / deselect the riders as you see fit. Personally I think it is interesting to at least keep William's rides recorded as his total, currently at 1,747 miles, helps to give a sense of scale to the event. This is probably further than most of us have ridden so far, yet he's way way off the bottom of the chart.

Tommy's total by March 14th is still behind Kurt and Steve's by around 3000 miles. The fact that he came from behind to accumulate 75,000 miles which would, at current pace, beat them both shows that it is all still to play for.

« Reply #306 on: 14 March, 2015, 10:01:39 pm »
Fantastic visual Jo, it really gives an overall feel as to how the whole thing is unfolding. Looking at Steve's chart, there's that very slight downwards trend at the beginning of March, where there was a feeling of needing to up the miles, "will he, won't he" etc..and then we see, sure enough, a gentle lift to maintain the average. And now he's still just hovering above the top tier of his projections. Thanks for doing it all.
Garry Broad

red marley

« Reply #307 on: 15 March, 2015, 07:24:44 am »
Day 73: Steve rides 107 miles into a biting NE wind and then another 107 back home again keeping up his recent March average of over 210 miles per day. Kurt has another shorter day to make way for other domestic business. It looks like we are seeing a shift in the trend of both riders as riding conditions change.

red marley

« Reply #308 on: 15 March, 2015, 07:38:40 am »
Looking at the movement patterns of the riders (Steve red, Kurt blue, William Green; horizontal axis 24 hours with 6am, midday and 6pm marked; days stacked vertically with most recent at the bottom), it is clear Steve is getting faster. His rides have been increasing in length but, with a couple of notable exceptions, he is still spending about the same time on the bike.

« Reply #309 on: 15 March, 2015, 08:13:22 am »
Thanks Jo, this daily analysis is fantastic  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #310 on: 15 March, 2015, 08:33:39 am »
I agree with Can't Climb, Thanks Jo for your hard work. It makes it so easy to see what is happening  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
123 Miles East of Marsh Gibbon

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #311 on: 15 March, 2015, 08:59:44 am »
It is indeed excellent. Thanks for your hard work, jo.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #312 on: 15 March, 2015, 09:57:27 am »
^^ +1  :thumbsup:

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #313 on: 15 March, 2015, 11:05:14 am »
Yes, much appreciated Jo and it's also much appreciated over at the other place.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #314 on: 15 March, 2015, 12:27:16 pm »
Echoing that, thanks Jo.  We're very fortunate to have you adding colour to the attempt.
Getting there...

« Reply #315 on: 15 March, 2015, 03:18:21 pm »
Two votes of gratitude from me.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #316 on: 15 March, 2015, 03:34:43 pm »
Moi aussi! :thumbsup:

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #317 on: 15 March, 2015, 03:54:05 pm »
Me three, six or nine, or whatever it is.   :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #318 on: 15 March, 2015, 03:59:22 pm »

Get the right number and you win a tea-shaped towel. :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #319 on: 15 March, 2015, 04:04:02 pm »
Quote from: Jimi Hendrix
If six turned out to be nine/I don't mind
Getting there...

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #320 on: 15 March, 2015, 04:53:52 pm »
This is simply the best thread to find out what is going on in summary terms. Big, big thank you jo.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #321 on: 15 March, 2015, 05:20:39 pm »
Quote from: Jimi Hendrix
If six turned out to be nine/I don't mind

:D:thumbsup:

Not Shirley Ellis, then?

« Reply #322 on: 15 March, 2015, 05:24:15 pm »
Aye, I check it everyday for a look at what the guys have done. Cheers, jo :thumbsup:

« Reply #323 on: 15 March, 2015, 05:26:23 pm »
Day 72: Another solid 214 miles for Steve heading back from Hull to MK. More rain for Kurt and then GPS problems prevent some of his ride from being uploaded and to cap it all, problems with his light bracket cut short his evening riding. The impact of "only" a recorded 58 mile day on his progress shows how vulnerable both riders are to even a small interruption.

Jo - do you 'correct' the Strava data to match the official HAMR spreadsheet, or just work with the original Strava track logs?

Echoing other posts, I am enjoying your daily updates.

« Reply #324 on: 15 March, 2015, 06:05:32 pm »
Another vote of thanks for the excellent visualisations, Jo. The first thing I check in the morning is the GI Centre page, followed by the Spot tracker.