Author Topic: Essex early season audaxes from the 'Uts  (Read 54343 times)

red marley

Re: Essex early season audaxes from the 'Uts
« Reply #25 on: 28 February, 2010, 10:52:41 pm »
I have the GPX from last year, but I need to check it against this year's route (at first glance it looks the same). I can pass it on once I have done that though.

Simonb

« Reply #26 on: 28 February, 2010, 10:58:35 pm »
Am considering UTU as I've never ridden in Essex and it fits in nicely with my schedule.

Is it flat?

simonp

« Reply #27 on: 28 February, 2010, 11:03:14 pm »
Am considering UTU as I've never ridden in Essex and it fits in nicely with my schedule.

Is it flat?

You'll probably get several answers to that question.  Mine would be "no" because it's not in the fens. :)

I would expect around 1700m of total ascent is typical for the kind of route you're likely to see (based on previous years, I've not seen this year's route).  Much of the terrain will be rolling.  It's easy to go too fast early on and tire yourself out.  It will not be a challenging route, however.

red marley

« Reply #28 on: 28 February, 2010, 11:06:57 pm »
Well, flatish.

Flatter than a typical cotswold/Thames valley audax, but not East Anglian pancake flat. Up The Uts is flatter than the Springtime 200 the week before. Both can be susceptible to wind though. With a typical spring wind they can be quite tough, without it, they're both pretty benign.

JJ

« Reply #29 on: 28 February, 2010, 11:12:22 pm »
Rode through that general area today on the club 90 reliability ride.  I'd call the terrain round there choppy.  Not hilly, but sort of rythm breaking.

The road surfaces are more like rim breaking at the mo, and largely submarine.

« Reply #30 on: 01 March, 2010, 09:34:20 am »
I live just a few miles down the road (& also did the ride last year). There are a couple of annoying drags towards the end of the ride though the rest of it is pretty gentle though not flat and (as mentioned above) can be prone to rather withering winds.

Bullhorn Ballard

« Reply #31 on: 01 March, 2010, 11:39:44 am »
Hopefully frost will keep away !
I've entered the 150, has anyone else ? Does it share much of its route with the other rides does anyone know ?

« Reply #32 on: 01 March, 2010, 11:46:21 am »
I'm on the 200. From what I recall much of the route is the same, with the 200k doing an extra 50k loop. I may be confusing this though with one of the other 'Uts rides

« Reply #33 on: 01 March, 2010, 06:55:07 pm »
Oooh, that's tough. The extreme western end is walking distance from home. Going to be a temptation...

Especially with the Therfield climb to come :-[

« Reply #34 on: 01 March, 2010, 07:04:42 pm »
have emailed the organiser and if I can enter on the line, and if the weather is OK, I'll be on the 150.

« Reply #35 on: 02 March, 2010, 02:47:30 am »
Although they all seem to visit Rickling Green. Sometimes twice.

How many times must a man go to Thaxted?

I'm in for the first two in March. Entry sent a bit late for the first one, hope the organiser doesn't mind.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #36 on: 04 March, 2010, 10:24:02 pm »
Grrr, unless this cough/cold/random-spluttery-thing gives me some of my energy back soon, Saturday's ride might be a DNS for me.  :(.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

simonp

« Reply #37 on: 05 March, 2010, 12:12:31 am »
have emailed the organiser and if I can enter on the line, and if the weather is OK, I'll be on the 150.

Define "ok". :P

« Reply #38 on: 05 March, 2010, 08:42:28 am »

Define "ok". :P

20 degrees C and < 5mph wind.  No miles for me till May!

I'd be doubtful anyway, my back is killing me this morning.

« Reply #39 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:27:09 am »
cough/cold/random-spluttery-thing

That's a desciption I'll be using. What is it that causes the occasional chest cough explosion sweat and then return to normality for the next 3 hours...

Anyways, 200km Up the Uts booked. Time to see if the winter snow MTB rides to work have kept me even halfway ready. Bring on the apple and custard   :)

simonp

« Reply #40 on: 05 March, 2010, 01:54:06 pm »
I might be out. Seems I'm being pressed into visiting my mum on her birthday. 9h travel each way. :(

Bullhorn Ballard

« Reply #41 on: 06 March, 2010, 09:40:04 pm »
Nice ride today (the 155km). Took a bit of a wrong turn which added only about 3km. Sunny intervals all day, plenty of riders about, good catering. Couldn't ask for more, I'll be doing more of these.

Chris S

« Reply #42 on: 07 March, 2010, 07:56:20 am »
Well, a year hasn't made the Shaftsbury Springtime 200 any easier - it's still hillier than you expect, the routesheet is still a little idiosyncratic, and it is still windy (though from the opposite direction this year).

So it only seemed sensible to ride it as an early season ECE 300  :thumbsup:. Also, living a rather convenient 104km from The Uts, it would be rude not to.

The ride down was uneventful. There was light rain on and off, but at 5c and something of a tailwind, this felt almost pleasant after weeks and weeks of frost and snow.
I'm not sure why, but Newmarket seems to have a high concentration of night clubs and pubs. Perhaps the stable boys from the various studs just drink a lot. Whenever I've controlled at Early O'Clock there, the council are out in force, swilling down the decks and clearing up takeaway litter, and yesterday was no exception.

South of Newmarket, you leave the billiard table of fenland behind, and climb onto the Newmarket Downs on the B1061/B1052. I like these roads - and since large sections have recently been resurfaced, it's a nice ride south through Balsham, Linton and The Waldens. A final ATM slip at Saffron Walden to prove I hadn't just pounded down the A11 (which would make this section under-distance) and I was soon at the Shaftsbury hut, drinking tea.

Like last year, the ride out to Coggeshall was made all the more entertaining by the puzzling routesheet. Unlike last year, after we turned NE at the info, we were riding into a cold north east wind. The exposed lane across the "Coggeshall desert" was a real grind; I was down on the drops and pegged back to 17/18km/hr.
I usually bounce the control here, but as this was half way for me, and breakfast was a dim and distant memory, I stocked up on grub. I love the smell of beans in the morning. It's the smell of victory.

Tailwind-tastic, the next section, and we were back at HQ before you could say Randonneur.

The next section was also tailwind assisted, but the landscape is decidedly choppy, and as with last year, I just couldn't get a rhythm going. Got it a bit wrong after the info and probably added a couple of km, but soon I was tucking into a plate of chips at the cafe in Baldock.

I knew this next section was going to hurt, and I was dreading it. We would be straight into the wind, on exposed rolling terrain, and I was now well into my third 100 of the day.
And so it was. I was again pegged back to <20km/hr into the block headwind. The climb at Therfield was not as bad as I was fearing, and some tacking helped to keep my heart from exploding from my chest like some John Hurt flashback.

Two things happened on the last section. It got dark, and it got cold. Really cold. I wasn't the only one to mention it at the finish - we were all stumbling into the Arrivee with numb feet and hands.

Despite the wind and latterly the cold, it was a great day out on the bike - largely sunny and dry (after the early overnight rain).

« Reply #43 on: 07 March, 2010, 05:13:48 pm »
Owing to a mix of mechanical issues, laziness, and lunacy, I have now ridden a 200 on a Brompton. And, meaning no disrespect to the tiny bicycle, which is a fine machine for many purposes, with any luck I will never do it again.

I did walk the climb at Therfield, though.

« Reply #44 on: 07 March, 2010, 05:17:54 pm »
Owing to a mix of mechanical issues, laziness, and lunacy, I have now ridden a 200 on a Brompton. And, meaning no disrespect to the tiny bicycle, which is a fine machine for many purposes, with any luck I will never do it again.

:o :o :o

I can manage about 1 hour on mine

« Reply #45 on: 07 March, 2010, 05:35:02 pm »
Tal did the Mille Miglia 2008 and LEL on his Brompton, although the latter was quickly followed by a thread about replacing it for long distance rides.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #46 on: 07 March, 2010, 05:47:49 pm »
I met Duncan of this parish as he completed RRTY on one, but his was more equipped for Audax - 12 gears, bar-ends, ISTR some kind of foot retention, etc. I guess Tal's was also somehow modified? Mine is a regular sort of "zooming about London" B.

Because of some combination of the lack of clips and straps and having to just grit teeth up anything steep, the tendons in the back of my ankles are very sore today.

« Reply #47 on: 07 March, 2010, 07:13:44 pm »
...... I have now ridden a 200 on a Brompton. .......
Molto chapeau. I saw a Brompton under one of the tables in the hut at the start; just thought someone local had pottered over to help!

My first time on this particular route and I enjoyed it. The first loop east was all on familiar roads, but the west loop had a lot of pleasant country and mainly kept off the busy roads, with the exceptions of the A505 and A10 which had to be briefly ridden in order to cross them. I'm not sure whether having three of the four info questions identical - post box collection times - was a help or a hindrance, but since apparently everyone got the answers wrong, Richard P. admitted he may have been a bit too cryptic in composing the questions!

Got dragged along for much of the first leg towards Coggeshall until common sense and fatigue prevailed and I dropped off to allow the first rush at the cafe to subside. Thus I got out of sync with the field and spent pretty well most of the rest of the day pootling along on me own, just Ed's usual express train and the occasional racing snake going past.

I knew the homeward leg back from Baldock was going to be a grind, what with the east wind an' all, and it was. And it did get much colder later, so I was glad to reach the hut and yet more apple pie and custard!

Since I can't make the Up the 'Uts this year, I'd say this ride was a worthy substitute.

« Reply #48 on: 08 March, 2010, 10:35:25 am »
I wondered who the Brompton belonged to.

So I said above "can be wind affected"  jeez, that last leg from Baldock back home was a tough old slog. Alas by then I had long given up trying to keep in Ed Nevards train, doing all of the last 100km solo. To add insult to my injury Ed was doing it on a fixed to boot.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #49 on: 08 March, 2010, 12:04:38 pm »
Obviously I haven't been doing enough miles.  Despite a benign route, I found it pretty tough.  The cold didn't help but I'm glad we avoided rain almost entirely.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...