Author Topic: Yellowbelly Tour 200 14th March  (Read 2133 times)

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
Yellowbelly Tour 200 14th March
« on: 03 February, 2015, 12:20:30 am »
Back for 2015, possibly the flattest and easiest 200 in the audax calendar.

Well I would say that as I designed the route and as as long as it's not windy it will be a great BRM event for PBP.

This year it has added flatness to add to the fun. Only two and a bit hills, well may be three of any consequence to climb and a mild bit of rolling road on the way to Horncastle.

See the glories of Lincolnshire and as long as the wind is with you a good day out. If the wind picks up on the fens may be more difficult. Either way not a county with many audax events so why not come and see the land of the Yellowbelly?

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
Re: Yellowbelly Tour 200 14th March
« Reply #1 on: 03 February, 2015, 07:15:08 pm »
I'll be there again!  Thoroughly enjoyed it 2 years ago  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

billyam998

• LEL rider C6 2013 / B11 2017 / B4 2022
« Reply #2 on: 03 February, 2015, 07:41:11 pm »
entered, looking forward to it. 8)

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #3 on: 05 February, 2015, 08:27:38 pm »
41 entries so far. Parking will be an issue if every one tries parking outside the village hall so if every one could spread out to May be Bassingham my neighbours will not complain. Just planning food and cake is to be baked.

Church bells have just been re hung so hopefully will start bang on 8am when the church clocks strikes

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #4 on: 12 March, 2015, 06:37:50 am »
My first 200 of the year, a wrap up warm day I think.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 12 March, 2015, 07:20:34 am »
10 degrees cooler than last Saturday is forecast  :o

Ah well, it's still March...

If it really is going to be high pressure and light winds, though, it'll be my first non-headwindy Audax for a while. [Whispered!]

« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2015, 02:47:21 pm »
I visit relatives in  Lincolnshire now and then. Is there a perm version of this or any other 100 or 200s in Lincolnshire? Or does someone have a DIY route I could borrow?

Good luck to everyone hope its not too cold.

« Reply #7 on: 12 March, 2015, 05:42:32 pm »
Have you looked on the Permanents page of AUK?

« Reply #8 on: 12 March, 2015, 08:16:34 pm »
Have you looked on the Permanents page of AUK?

Couldnt see anything but some dont give much info so thee may be one I missed.

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #9 on: 12 March, 2015, 08:42:31 pm »
As the organiser I have not got round yet to making it a perm, though the start would have to be in the next village up (Bassingham) which has a Spar shop.

Its going to be about 85 riders on the day which is massive for a tiny Lincs village (Carlton le Moorland). I have asked every one to spread out on their parking as 85 cars will just not fit in Carlton by parking either down a green lane behind the village hall or over at Bassingham and travelling down the SUSTRANS path (1 mile). Worth the trip to see the 8 foot high wooden horse and other assorted artwork en route.

I hope to do the start outside the church which is next door when the village clock strike 8am. When you have all disappeared for the day i then have to make the sandwiches for when you return so spare me a thought and do not get back too quick! Looks like a NE wind on Saturday which means you will be fighting your way out to the coast but blown back a bit over the wolds. Normally its the other way round.

I've set up a facebook page which shows some of the land marks as you go round and places to stop at for the control. See you all Saturday morning

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #10 on: 14 March, 2015, 11:21:09 pm »
Apparently it was a bit windy heading out to Burgh le Marsh today

« Reply #11 on: 15 March, 2015, 10:41:23 am »
Yes. The headwind was present from Lenton at 40k until Burgh le Marsh at 127k And was increasingly difficult the further east you went. A throughly enjoyable ride though.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #12 on: 15 March, 2015, 11:48:31 am »
Yes, a great ride. And it came with an extra bonus - it has sated my appetite for headwinds in the fens for the year, so I am no longer bothered that I didn't get my entry for Skeggy in in time.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 19 March, 2015, 07:53:00 am »
My Ride Report: Yellowbelly Tour 200km, with added DIYs.

Friday 13th – Sunday 15th March was a planned antidote to running my Horsepower 200 the weekend before, when my helpers and I were mostly indoors, tending to riders’ needs on a glorious sunny, mild spring day [though some did get out for a ride in the middle of the day]. Having re-scheduled Mothering Sunday to the weekend before, I had a pass for three days away, so planned to ride up to Lincolnshire for the ‘Yellowbelly Tour’ 200km via a couple of DIY 200s. I aimed to ride fixed as usual and carry lightweight camping gear, as a test ride for getting to Paris in August. I left the gearing at 72”, to see how it would be on the very few hills on the route. There is a ten-percenter on the run back near Warboys that I was anticipating walking, with over 350 miles in my legs.

Chasing my shadow across to Sleaford

The route north from Essex is a well beaten path for me – there is only one really good, direct road north across the Fens, the B1040 from St Ives via Thorney to Spalding, that tends to get used for trips to the York Rally, on Easter Arrows and my own ‘Flatlands’ 600km. A little dog-leg across to Newark via Ancaster got the distance right and I only had to arrange for a tail wind each way. However, the fickle Flatland weather had other ideas, as usual!
The wind was kind at first, but soon swung round to the north-east. Bashing up the B1040 from Thorney, head down, on the drops, I saw some familiar red leggings approaching at speed: Steve Abraham! A quick ‘hi’ and on we went. Steve’s been past my front door several times already [when I was either out, or still asleep!] on his ‘One Year Time Trial’. I’ve ridden a bit with him on our Horsepower ‘Helpers’ Ride’ at the end of February, but I couldn’t contain my excitement and had to stop and send a couple of texts! After turning at Sleaford I headed to the lanes for some bonus kilometres, to keep me off the A153 at rush hour, and arrived in time for Fish and Chips and a pint at the Sir John Arderne [Wetherspoons] in Newark. Then up to Stapleford Woods for the full ‘Bear Grylls’ experience and an early night.
Saturday morning dawned colder and greyer, but at least with lighter winds, however that was to change and not all in a good way…I was the first at the village hall in Carlton-le-Moorland and able to chat with organiser Richard Parker, while tucking into the breakfast mountain. Richard and I hadn’t met before, though he was the first to ride my permanent ‘Flatliner’ 600km and we’d corresponded for a while about a cunning plan to run a 1000km in 2016. I chatted to several riders, but also met some of the East Anglian ‘usual suspects’ including Jonathan Greenway from Norwich and fellow fixie, Mick Bates from King’s Lynn.
More than 80 riders started, including a tandem, an ElliptiGo and at least two others on fixed. As the day brightened up, so the wind gathered strength from the NE again and we were in for a hard day on the Fens. From Billingborough we turned in to the wind and headed for a cruel and unforgiving landscape: no shelter or landmarks, and the endless skies and horizons that are either the curse or joy of the Fens, depending on mood and weather. I needed to take things easy and go for a full value day out, to save myself for the return ride on the Monday, but that 100km had me pushing hard and trimming time at controls, by skipping the café options in favour of shop sandwiches. Sitting on a bench in the sun at Coningsby and suddenly I hear a cry of ‘There’s Steve!’ and sure enough, the legend came past. I had the briefest of conversations while he waited at the T junction: he’d come north in the hope of seeing riders [apparently riding with some and chatting to others in a café] and was now turning with the wind behind for the afternoon. Spotted two days running and completely unplanned!

Sunnies on and a tailwind!

Sunset over Lincoln

This eastern corner of the Lincolnshire Fens was completely new to me, and I did try to appreciate it, but as anyone who has battled the wind will know, you tend to sink into a state of grim persistence and play mind games to get you through. An incident that really made my day: approaching Friskney a bright red chavmobile slowed and the window wound down. Wondering what object or abuse might come out I held my breath only to hear the fellow call out: “Watch out mate, there’s broken glass on the road up there”. But of course! This is Lincolnshire, not Essex; three cheers for the Yellowbellied chav! My mood improved further after turning at Burgh-le-Marsh and I enjoyed the rolling route through pretty villages and towns like Spilsby and Horncastle, in the late afternoon sun. The sunset ride along the River Witham cycle path was a final treat, with a view of Lincoln Cathedral on the horizon. After more chat and refuelling at the finish I headed back out to the woods. Again the wind had dropped, so very quiet and peaceful.
On Mothering Sunday [the ‘Ides of March’] I planned an early start to use the A153 while it was quiet and get the into-the-wind section done. Newark was pleasant to potter round in the morning twilight before anyone was awake. Another handsome and characterful town to explore properly some day. I had to divert south of Claypole because of continuing overnight work on the level crossing, but no matter, still pleasant countryside and very quiet lanes. At Ancaster the garage was open and the A153 was ok, just the odd vehicle. Arriving at the ‘Packhorse Inn’ at Sleaford, [habitual half-time stop on Essex Easter Arrows] just before opening I had time to text my wife and family and do some general faffing before tucking into their famed Large Breakfast. [At 1400+ calories responsible, according to the tabloids, for the obesity crisis.] A good hour was spent there, but at least from then on the wind would mostly be behind me and I could make up some time.
Down to Spalding the road turns south, then east several times, so it was a mixed bag of head and cross/tail winds, but once there I decided on the more interesting 2013 LEL route along the River Welland to Crowland and its three-way medieval packhorse bridge, marooned without its rivers. A brisk run down to St Ives followed, with a final feed at Greggs, strangely devoid of mums – all the other cafes were full of families and their matriarchs, but then unless your mother was an audaxer, would you ever ‘treat’ her to Greggs? At last some shelter when I briefly turned into the wind here and there. South Cambridgeshire and North Essex has hedges, and woods and even a few hills! The Warboys 10% hill turned out to be relatively easy, though no doubt the wind helped, and I arrived home shortly after dark.
My average speed hadn’t varied much for the whole three days: consciously keeping it down on day one, traveling lighter, but with stronger winds on day two and trying to take it easy again on day three, though with a helpful tailwind, at least 70% of the time. The extra weight didn’t feel too bad and everything on the bike behaved well, just a tweak of the chain tension every day and no rain to wash the oil off either. So, not really as fast as I would normally ride an audax, more like touring pace, but still with fairly short stops, the big breakfast on day three excepted…Despite the wind and the lower temperatures than the previous weekend, the weather was kind, with no rain and little drop in temperature at night too. Clouds threatened rain with a few spots on Sunday, with wet roads at home, but lots of sunshine on the other two days. I didn’t need to think about my wimp-out options of Travelodge and train!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #14 on: 19 March, 2015, 08:29:08 am »
Good report Tomsk. You've given me yet more inspiration for my post PBP Audax retirement!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #15 on: 19 March, 2015, 10:26:36 am »
Excellent report Tomsk, seems Idyllic but more photo's of you as your Bear Grylls alter ego would be good. (Eg, big knife, face with dirt camoflage, bivvy in recently killed warm animal skin, drinking fresh blood/urine etc)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 19 March, 2015, 11:33:21 am »
^ Yebbut does Mr Grylls go for breakfast at Wetherspoons?

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #17 on: 19 March, 2015, 02:52:21 pm »
A first draft video from the event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khktQzzvwdc

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #18 on: 19 March, 2015, 08:45:29 pm »
Seems as the controller I had the best seat all day - in the warm out of that wind!
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #19 on: 24 March, 2015, 08:02:52 pm »
Great report Tomsk, it was good to meet you. I hope the camping in the local woods wasn't too bad, it certainly felt chilly on the Saturday evening!

Fantastic days riding, very sociable ride, cold easterly wind tho.

Thanks to the organiser and helpers :)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 24 March, 2015, 08:39:45 pm »
^Good to meet you too marlan, heading up through Yellowbelly Country [Spalding, Sleaford, Louth, Brigg] next week on the Easter Arrow and then again up to the York Rally later in the year.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #21 on: 26 March, 2015, 08:32:23 pm »
^ Yebbut does Mr Grylls go for breakfast at Wetherspoons?

Good point, he's not 'ard enough for that.