Author Topic: Tamworth Audax Events 11th April  (Read 1550 times)

Tamworth Audax Events 11th April
« on: 26 March, 2015, 08:10:10 am »
Just a quick heads up,   These events are now very nearly full and will close early, again.

For those that think Audax events should be unlimited,  I am constrained by car parking availability.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Tamworth Audax Events 11th April
« Reply #1 on: 26 March, 2015, 11:13:07 am »
But one of the best things about your events is that they're practical to get to by train...

Chris N

« Reply #2 on: 26 March, 2015, 11:19:31 am »
Thanks for the reminder Geoff - just got my entry in for the 100.  I'll be riding over as usual. :thumbsup:

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #3 on: 26 March, 2015, 12:08:43 pm »
But one of the best things about your events is that they're practical to get to by train...

Yep!  Just 2.4 miles from the train station: https://goo.gl/maps/Wvm1A
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 26 March, 2015, 12:12:45 pm »

And the trains are actually running in time to get to the start from places like Mordor and That London.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 26 March, 2015, 12:15:23 pm »
On the Essex Bridge.

« Reply #6 on: 26 March, 2015, 12:19:29 pm »

And the trains are actually running in time to get to the start from places like Mordor and That London.  :thumbsup:

As I have it, 'Mordor' is Coventry, with the Small Heath BSA factory and the Cole Valley as 'The mines of Moria'.

« Reply #7 on: 26 March, 2015, 12:29:10 pm »

Tamworth, change at B'ham New St, South Wigston and then ride to Wistow.  ;D

I have changed Kim's words back to the original. Please don't alter others' text in quotes unless you have good reason. This forum is a largely informational one read by many who might not appreciate or understand your brand of 'humour'. Mod

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 11 April, 2015, 07:11:05 pm »
Well, that was like fun, but different.

My memory of the Essex Bridge was that effort is required on the first 45km out to Bramshall, which is full of annoying little hills designed specifically to sap the energy of recumbent riders (which is more of an issue on the 200), followed by a nice mostly-flat ride.

This time I did it with a lot less fitness, and a bastard headwind that put my lack of fitness to the test.  TBH, I was having a bit of a sense of humour failure by the first control.  Fortunately the answer to the subsequent info control question restored my sense of humour, and the wind was somewhat more cooperative on the way back.

In other weather news, it was a proper downpour when I left the house, so I think I used the full gamut of available clothing combinations over the course of the day.  We also got a surreal moment when we were at the top of a hill surrounded by blue sky, apart from one big dark cumulus directly overhead chucking high-velocity hailstones at us.

Seemed weird to be at the Strawberry Garden centre without jogler.  :'(

Some tactical faffing on the final section meant that gerwinium and I finished with a bit under 20 minutes to spare.

« Reply #9 on: 11 April, 2015, 09:43:09 pm »
Geoff worked a blinder with the vicar of Fradswell.  :thumbsup:

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #10 on: 12 April, 2015, 01:29:12 pm »
Big thanks to Geoff, his helpers & the good folk at the controls especially the barn at Upper Stowe for looking after us so we'll  :thumbsup:

Another bostin day on the 2 battles, wet & cold to start but warmed up later before a really tough 3rd leg to Wellesbourne.  Oh! & I was 1st back again  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #11 on: 12 April, 2015, 03:52:09 pm »
Another thanks to Geoff et al - jolly nice day out on the bike. I just about managed to keep Kim (who seemed to be going very well to me) in sight to take nearly full value from day and was hoping to see Ray at the finish having given him a 90 minute and -100km head start but he wasn't quite quick enough  ;)

« Reply #12 on: 12 April, 2015, 05:57:13 pm »
My thanks to Geoff also.

I did the "Just a Chuffing 50", this was only my third audax (I did this one two years ago as well)
The weather did exactly what it said on the tin with the rain stopping just before the start at 10:00.  The wind was a pain and seemed to always be against us :(
Tagged along with thre folks from Banbury (thanks for the company and the tea).

May try the 100k in July

« Reply #13 on: 12 April, 2015, 07:07:49 pm »
Thanks again Geoff!

I enjoyed it so much I started going round again!! :-\
Finished with 10 mins to spare.

« Reply #14 on: 12 April, 2015, 11:14:09 pm »
Many thanks Geoff. This ride surpassed my expectations in terms of pleasant lanes, excellent stops and sheer amount of climbing. Despite the detailed route sheet I still got a little lost (but managed to take in Althorp Park [and several other mansions - get'em taxed!] as a result so maybe a worthwhile extra 10km). Shared the last half of the ride with an audax veteran and just made it back before the chips ran out! That's four down and eight to go.