Author Topic: Find me a cheap dishwasher!  (Read 1807 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Find me a cheap dishwasher!
« on: 21 October, 2009, 02:56:36 pm »
I'm bored of washing up.  But I can probably ebay enough precious tat to buy a dishwasher if it's cheap.  Under £200.  How low can you go?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Re: Find me a cheap dishwasher!
« Reply #1 on: 21 October, 2009, 03:08:47 pm »
From Which - this is the only one under £200 on their review list. It gets a good score:

Beko DWD4310W 

This freestanding Beko dishwasher gives excellent performance for both washing and drying using the main wash program.

It takes a lengthy 2 hours 17 minutes but as the AAA energy label would indicate, the DWD4310 has low energy and water consumption. The main programme is the Economy 50 degree wash which is cooler than the main programme on many machines. There is a rapid wash program which takes just 36 minutes and an extra drying option. It is a fairly basic machine and doesn't have a digital display or delayed start option, but it does have adjustable racks. The detergent and rinse aid dispenser is simple to understand and use, but youll need to remove the upper basket to fill it properly.

It's also quite a noisy machine and this one comes in white.

Pros: Excellent washing and drying using normal wash, adjustable basket

Cons: Noisy

Which? score: 73%

Top 3 of 22 retailers  
Shop4Electricals £190.33  
CK Home Appliances £199.99  
Pixmania.co.uk £200.99  

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 21 October, 2009, 04:37:22 pm »
I think I need to haunt Freecycle for a bit. :thumbsup:
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #3 on: 21 October, 2009, 07:00:37 pm »
I do it for nothing!

But only for the wife.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 22 October, 2009, 11:17:49 am »
Table top dishwasher?
Argos - www.argos.co.uk$ja=tsid:11527|cc:|prd:4783550|cat:Slimline+And+Compact+Dishwashers
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 22 October, 2009, 01:03:30 pm »
Ooh, that's small...

« Reply #6 on: 22 October, 2009, 01:20:39 pm »
You could always look at slimline dishwashers - Buy Indesit IDL 40 Slimline Dishwasher, White online at JohnLewis.com
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 22 October, 2009, 01:29:53 pm »
Slim <> cheap.

« Reply #8 on: 22 October, 2009, 01:34:20 pm »
Last time I lived alone and had a dishwasher it never got used. Even with a small dishwasher you never put enough in it to make it worthwhile, and leaving stuff in it for a few days until there is enough to warrant setting it off is just skanky (plus I'd need to use some of the pots and pans in the mean time). Wash up as you cook.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #9 on: 22 October, 2009, 01:39:29 pm »
I bought a £120 dishwasher from B&Q 12 years ago.  Best £120 I've ever spent.  No sign of it packing it just yet either.

« Reply #10 on: 22 October, 2009, 01:43:49 pm »
I've had numerous fun and games with these tabletop DWs Andy. I sometimes think it is my punishment for living alone and still being lazy enough to want one...(I do use it, at least every other day).

First was an ultracheap Proline. That blew up with a big bang within a year.

Then a Bosch which lasted two years before dying. And Bosch treated me really crap, by patching it up poorly until it was out of its two-year warranty by which period they didn't want to know.

So I whinged at John Lewis about that a lot (I had bought the five-year warranty) and they gave me a more expensive one as a replacement (Zanussi) although I've only had this one a couple of months so I can't pass judgement on it yet.

I dunno if I'm unlucky or what. But a) I have no space for a proper one and b) you need loads of crockery to run a big one otherwise you wouldn't be running it full.

« Reply #11 on: 22 October, 2009, 02:52:52 pm »
A friends solution involved lots of paper plates.....

No room in my place for a dishwasher so I've been known to leave 4 days worth of stuff in the sink, especially if I've been working late... :-(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #12 on: 22 October, 2009, 04:03:41 pm »
Last time I lived alone and had a dishwasher it never got used. Even with a small dishwasher you never put enough in it to make it worthwhile, and leaving stuff in it for a few days until there is enough to warrant setting it off is just skanky (plus I'd need to use some of the pots and pans in the mean time). Wash up as you cook.

Most dishwashers have a mode which will do a brief cold wash, to remove a lot of the looser muck, and minimise the skanyness if left for a few days whilst a full load accumulates (so long as you haven't let stuff "set" too hard).
Actually, it is rocket science.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #14 on: 25 October, 2009, 09:51:20 am »
Andy, I would have thought the solution was obvious . . .

Who's giving the best deal on mail order brides?

Or have I not got this one right?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.