Poll

Is it worth keeping ths board active on YACF?

No, I think there are better places to ask questions and find out stuff.
6 (2.7%)
Possibly. Although I think this board is getting less valuable to people.
13 (5.9%)
Yes. People still come here to ask questions that can't be answered elsewhere.
23 (10.4%)
Absolutely. It is a valuable online resource and has a place amongst the others.
178 (80.2%)
Other. (If you chose this option please say what you think I have missed off)
2 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 212

Voting closed: 24 December, 2014, 10:58:05 am

Author Topic: The Audax Board Question  (Read 31989 times)

Euan Uzami

Re: The Audax Board Question
« Reply #200 on: 19 December, 2014, 08:41:31 pm »
Re the 10 or so posts above,

What one person gets in google isn't the same as what someone else gets!
Google uses its (ie our) data and technology to work out what sites you've visited and tries to give you more of what you like. 

This explains it here
http://dontbubble.us/
Correct - location as well.

Oaky - where is there a "climb" near p'boro? I'm intrigued  :-\ ;)

« Reply #201 on: 19 December, 2014, 09:00:32 pm »

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #202 on: 19 December, 2014, 09:16:39 pm »
Oaky - where is there a "climb" near p'boro? I'm intrigued  :-\ ;)

The road definitely rises as you leave Ramsey St Mary's southwards.*  Or did you mean a different p'boro?

* everything's relative, tho' ... :facepalm:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #203 on: 19 December, 2014, 09:50:50 pm »
But I thought we drove/rode on the left side of the road in GB...
... and speed limits were usually in multiples of 10mph, above 20.
The pedant.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #204 on: 20 December, 2014, 01:51:48 am »
But I thought we drove/rode on the left side of the road in GB...

Perhaps that's why the player is 'wrecked'
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #205 on: 20 December, 2014, 11:20:43 am »
Or Sony!

Has anyone created an Audax game? Endless roads, bus shelters, malign weather - what's not to like?

Spotted at l'Eroica bike jumble - a board (bored) game

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #206 on: 20 December, 2014, 12:29:36 pm »
Re the 10 or so posts above,

What one person gets in google isn't the same as what someone else gets!
Google uses its (ie our) data and technology to work out what sites you've visited and tries to give you more of what you like. 

This explains it here
http://dontbubble.us/
aah, cheers Frank. I think that's what IanH was trying to say.

Ah - good point, well made! It'd be interesting to see what results you got without all that associated history influencing them.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #207 on: 20 December, 2014, 12:59:24 pm »
Or Sony!

Has anyone created an Audax game? Endless roads, bus shelters, malign weather - what's not to like?

Penalty cards for heavy rain, dropped chain, puncture, no hi-vis, escaped pigs (!)
More details.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #208 on: 20 December, 2014, 03:46:17 pm »

Penalty cards for heavy rain, dropped chain, puncture, no hi-vis, escaped pigs (!)
More details.

Played that a few times so far and, like my Audax performances, haven't won yet.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #209 on: 20 December, 2014, 06:50:55 pm »

More details.

Played that a few times so far and, like my Audax performances, haven't won yet.

Nobody 'wins', but did you finish the game within the time limits?
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #210 on: 20 December, 2014, 07:09:54 pm »
i believe the most appropriate phrase is 'lanterne rouge'
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #211 on: 20 December, 2014, 07:27:55 pm »
I don't get this. There seems to be a lot of people putting considerable time and effort into promoting audax and spreading the word. Why would you want to limit the number of places where it can be found? Personally, I would know nothing about the Facebook page if it wasn't for this place (I prefer discussion boards for discussion anyway). It's entirely possible that I would never have ridden an audax if it wasn't for this place.   

It's like was said early on in the thread, everyone who posts here has already put in their vote. If they wanted to post elsewhere, they would. And the day there's no posts, that's the day to close the doors.

One thing I do notice, and I only dip my toes into YACF occasionally, but to me (as a relative outsider to this community), YACF appears a very political place. Everything is a political decision. From deciding if a popular and entirely innocuous forum should stay, to what audax topics are allowed to be discussed. I may be very wrong. As I say, I dip my toes only, and I'm sure I don't see the full picture. But the reason I say this, is because for someone like me watching from the perimeter fence, the politics is a bit off-putting, and seemingly unnecessary. It's all a bit too serious, that's all. I just want to talk about bikes and stuff, as I'm sure do most people here.

But seeing as I'm here, and posting, and talking about bikes and stuff (occasionally), it must be the best of the bunch  :thumbsup:

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #212 on: 20 December, 2014, 08:48:36 pm »
I don't get this. There seems to be a lot of people putting considerable time and effort into promoting audax and spreading the word. Why would you want to limit the number of places where it can be found? Personally, I would know nothing about the Facebook page if it wasn't for this place (I prefer discussion boards for discussion anyway). It's entirely possible that I would never have ridden an audax if it wasn't for this place.   

It's like was said early on in the thread, everyone who posts here has already put in their vote. If they wanted to post elsewhere, they would. And the day there's no posts, that's the day to close the doors.

One thing I do notice, and I only dip my toes into YACF occasionally, but to me (as a relative outsider to this community), YACF appears a very political place. Everything is a political decision. From deciding if a popular and entirely innocuous forum should stay, to what audax topics are allowed to be discussed. I may be very wrong. As I say, I dip my toes only, and I'm sure I don't see the full picture. But the reason I say this, is because for someone like me watching from the perimeter fence, the politics is a bit off-putting, and seemingly unnecessary. It's all a bit too serious, that's all. I just want to talk about bikes and stuff, as I'm sure do most people here.

But seeing as I'm here, and posting, and talking about bikes and stuff (occasionally), it must be the best of the bunch  :thumbsup:

Whoa! For a moment there your post seemed way off topic. ;)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #213 on: 22 December, 2014, 08:02:16 am »
... One thing I do notice, and I only dip my toes into YACF occasionally, but to me (as a relative outsider to this community), YACF appears a very political place. Everything is a political decision. From deciding if a popular and entirely innocuous forum should stay, to what audax topics are allowed to be discussed. I may be very wrong. As I say, I dip my toes only, and I'm sure I don't see the full picture. But the reason I say this, is because for someone like me watching from the perimeter fence, the politics is a bit off-putting, and seemingly unnecessary. It's all a bit too serious, that's all. I just want to talk about bikes and stuff, as I'm sure do most people here.

Your view has my sympathy.  But as with anything, you have to decide what you like and discard the rest.  There are folks on here who just want to talk about bikes, and beer, and cake, and just take the piss out of each other (in a friendly fashion) plus loads of other non-political stuff.  I would offer this thread as an example, 239 pages of what I have just described  ;D  If you live anywhere near Essex you'd be most welcome to join us.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #214 on: 22 December, 2014, 09:37:18 am »

It's not just shits and giggles however this seems to go in phases.

There is the normal period of cabin-fever that seems to happen this time of year (and around the time of AGM) but there has been a more heated discussion on other subjects with threads being dragged down by people posting outside of the ethos of YACF.

As board moderator, I felt this represented a decline in the board which is why this poll was put up.

H

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #215 on: 24 December, 2014, 11:17:51 am »
Voting is closed but thanks to everyone who has either taken part in the poll or contributed on this thread -hopefully the results should be displayed now.

Have a good one and don't eat too much Christmas pudding etc.  :facepalm:

No doubt I will see some of you awheel in 2015  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

H