Author Topic: Prescription cycling glasses - recommendations  (Read 3051 times)

Prescription cycling glasses - recommendations
« on: 15 June, 2017, 09:32:03 am »
My Oakleys got nicked out of my car this week  :'( , so I need some new cycling sunnies. I will go back to the optician and try some on, but they are very expensive, and I don't really fancy a third pair of Flack Jackets!
Are there specific glasses/makes/shops that I should look into?  I don't like the style that have prescription inserts as my eyelashes brush the inserts on any I've tried.

dim

Re: Prescription cycling glasses - recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 15 June, 2017, 10:50:46 am »
https://www.selectspecs.com/sunglasses/designer/prescription-compatible/c274/

the only problem that you may find is that they fog up when you stop

I have a pair normal sunglasses (non prescription), .... Julbo Bivouak Cameleon

these are very good with vents that stop fogging, however, I struggle to read my Edge 1000 screen with these

I now I use my old Serengetti driver sunglasses (glass lenses), and on long rides if I need to use the mapping on my Garmin .... they do fog up at stops for a few seconds, but clear very quickly
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #2 on: 15 June, 2017, 01:03:41 pm »
I had a pair of regular glasses from Select Specs, but they gave me a headache. When I took them to the optician they measured them and said that the astigmatism correction was 10 degrees, rather than 110 degrees!  :o Not sure I'd go back there unless it was incredibly cheap...

« Reply #3 on: 15 June, 2017, 01:27:50 pm »
Always been happy with my Optilabs (I have the Rapide frames).

I had one pair as sunglasses that are still going strong 10 years later (although the prescription is slightly out of date). The most recent pair have photochromatic lenses so I can wear them all day/night.

I use them for cycling, running, skiing, driving and general all day wear if it's sunny.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #4 on: 15 June, 2017, 02:00:27 pm »
+1 Optilabs

« Reply #5 on: 16 June, 2017, 09:45:48 am »
My local optician as I can then specify the size of my Bi focal bit.  Usually it is much to big for cycling when I only need to read a line or two of the route sheet.  More expensive than some but I have very specific requirements and am happy to pay for what I want, not be told what I can have.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #6 on: 16 June, 2017, 11:44:47 am »
I have a compulsory (read taxi duty) trip to Nottingham tomorrow, so I shall wander around as many opticians as my daughter can bear. Hopefully >2. Will consider Optilabs if I don't see anything that grabs my fancy (and fits my face) when wandering around.
I always go for the transitions lenses - are the fancy Optilabs Ultra 2000 version really that much better than the regular ones?

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #7 on: 16 June, 2017, 05:19:57 pm »
Another very satisfied Optilabs customer here.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #8 on: 16 June, 2017, 05:32:27 pm »
Zenni are quite nice, and cheap enough. eg http://www.zennioptical.com/292912-plastic-full-rim-frame.html

« Reply #9 on: 17 June, 2017, 01:06:24 am »
And another satisfied Optilabs customer. Their frame sampling service is good, you get a really good idea of the fit and feel of the glasses before getting thefinal product. I went for these as I'm another who can't bear my eyelashes brushing against prescription inserts.
What's this bottom line for anyway?

« Reply #10 on: 26 June, 2017, 01:32:23 pm »
Optilabs Rascal ordered. :)
The sample service was remarkably quick, and while the glasses feel slightly flimsy, and maybe don't quite fit as well as the Oakleys, they do fit well and they are super light.
So I called up, explained I wanted to be able to ride at night as well as during the day and they convinced me to get the regular transitions rather than the super duper Ultra 2000 ones, and that the anti-glare was not required. The price of £169 is very reasonable, and around half the price of the Oakleys online (more in the local optician sadly). Now I've just got ot wait a week or so for them to appear...
Thank you for the input.  :thumbsup:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11 on: 10 October, 2017, 08:01:56 am »
I went with Puma ones from the local specsavers, three different outer lenses and the prescription bit as a separate insert so you can change prescription easily enough.  Nice and light and stable on the head for both running and cycling. Don't tend to fog up too much either.   IIRC they were quite a bit less than £169
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #12 on: 10 October, 2017, 09:51:42 am »
I can't get on with insert ones - I tried a bunch of them a few years ago. My eyelashes kept brushing against the insert and smearing it.
The £169 includes photochromatic lenses - so much more useful than having to carry 3 different lenses and swap them out for different conditions. I've been using the Optilabs glasses now for a month or 2 and I'm very happy with them...