Author Topic: TdeF 2017  (Read 95557 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: TdeF 2017
« Reply #200 on: 06 July, 2017, 05:07:01 pm »
Stage 6:   Vesoul->Troyes

G Imlach:O hai! And o hai 2 TV’s Nice C Boardman!
NC Boardman:O hai! C Froome may keep teh shinyjumper all teh way 2 Paris. Or not.
G Imlach:Thank u Nice C Boardman! (Aside…) Idiot!
D Friebe:O hai! I haz here G Thomas who haz not teh shinyjumper any more.
G Thomas:Thank u Wooden D Friebe1! (Aside…) Idiot!
N Boulting:O hai! Welcome 2 a flat stage with a futile break and a sprint finish. Jacques Brel!
Musical interlude…
N Boulting:What do u think of that, eh, Super D?
SD Millar:
Bethany (7):I wish I’d said that!
Later…
C Prudhomme:OK, bored now. Off u fck!
N Boulting:And off goes teh futile break! It’s going 2 be a long day 4 them.
SD Millar:Not only 4 them either! (Sighs) Iz lunchtime yet, ***?
N Boulting:No. First it iz tiem 4 teh human antidote 2 teh Tower ov Babel, TV’s M Rendall!
M Rendall:Molto gedankies, ***! Vesoul Fred blong ladri di onkel sportive barnacle! Adolphe Saxophone en los frontière von estrella lá! Fefefefefe! Jacques Brel!
N Boulting, SD Millar & Bethany (7):What did he just say?
M Smith:O hai today I am joined. In mi cupboard by M Rogers.
M Rogers:Er, blah and, moreover, blah! Errm.
Bethany (7):Soddez çela pour une alouette! I’m off 2 teh park 2 watch teh Machmen meet teh machines and play ‘Kill By Numbers’, with mi friend 5. Txt me if anything happens!
M Smith:Why aren’t you @ school young. Lady?
Bethany (7):Piss off, grandad!
An interminable time later…
N Boulting:…and then me and mi Brompton got a lift down teh mountain from Greg Lemond! Which was nice.
SD Millar:
Omnes:We wish we’d said that!
What feels like teh middle of next week...
N Boulting:Flying buttresses?
SD Millar:Flying buttresses! Architecture! Morality! Ted & Alice!
N Boulting:Christ, I’m bored! M Rendall, historize us!
M Rendall:(Sings) This old man, he played trois, vive la France, la France c’est moi! Gimcrack governments, call me if u please, Columbey-les-deux-Églises!
SD Millar:Was that Jacques Brel, ***?
N Boulting:No. No, Super D, it was not.
CD Gaulle:Bof, u Ingleesh!
N Farage:He was right about one thing, though!
Omnes:Begone, u flap-eared tit-faced stubble-flecked gonk!
Bethany (7):This ^^^^. Mum! Mum! What’s 4 tea?
Bethany’s Mum:Where u bin, u little minx? I’ll give u tea orlrite!
N Boulting:Yikes! Sprint!
S Colbrelli:O hai! I, er, um, oh. Bugger!
A Démare:Yay! Go me!
Teh same millennium, but only just…
N Boulting:(Sings) John Kettley iz a weather man. And so iz Michael Fish Nice C Boardman!
SD Millar:Was that Jacques Brel?
N Boulting:FFS, Super D!
NC Boardman:It’s going 2 rain. Unless it doesn’t.
N Boulting:Thank u Nice C Boardman! (Aside…) Idiot!
10 km from teh finish…
ML Maire:(Waking up) Oh. Did I miss anything?
Bethany (7):What do u think?
FX: Slap
Bethany’s Mum:Wot ‘ave I tole u abaht torkin’ 2 strangers? Go 2 ur room!
Bethany (7):Awwwwwww, Muuuum!
M Kitteh:O hai and, moreover, miaow! Win: I haz it!
A Démare:Arse!
A Greipel:Piss!
SD Millar:Same Stuffs 2morrow, eh, kids!
Omnes::facepalm:

• Actually, TV’s D Friebe is a lot less wooden this year.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #201 on: 06 July, 2017, 05:07:31 pm »
I'm beginning to lose interest, difficult to see any other result than Sky controlling the race all the way to Paris.

The disappointing thing is the way Froome just seems to have gravitated into yellow without really doing anything.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #202 on: 06 July, 2017, 05:37:05 pm »
Apart from hammering the time-trial, being at the front for every stage, keeping out of trouble, and seeing off all but one rival yesterday, Yes, he's done nothing.

On another note being in yellow now isn't necessarily a good thing. Aru looked megadoped amazing, but it was a stage of just one climb. If he can do that on a true mountain stage he'll win.  Its between Froome and Aru with Martin snapping at their heels for a podium slot.

« Reply #203 on: 06 July, 2017, 05:39:03 pm »
The disappointing thing is the way Froome just seems to have gravitated into yellow without really doing anything.

Errr, he did quite well on Stage 1 and took significant time out of other GC rivals and finished 6th.  After Stage 2 where he finished in a group at 2" behind Sagan he moved up to 2nd where he stayed until the next test (Stage 5) when he finished ahead of what many consider to be his main rivals and even took more time out of them.  His team have managed to ensure he has not lost time to major rivals.  From Stage 2 to 6 he has been either 2nd or 1st.

Perhaps it is the others who are not really doing anything.  Not as though Froome or his team have not been doing anything, or did you miss Stage 5 where they played a very good tactical game?  I agree the days of breakaways in the style of Merckx or Hinault appear to be over, but that is the way TdF (and other grand tours) take shape.  I don't expect him, or any of the GC contenders to do much tomorrow and perhaps Sat/Sun might see some opportunity for other teams to do something.

(CX-post with Flatus)

« Reply #204 on: 06 July, 2017, 05:46:29 pm »
I'm beginning to lose interest, difficult to see any other result than Sky controlling the race all the way to Paris.

I don't think his time trial performance falls into the category of 'not doing anything'. He put in a very good performance, and has extended the gap to most of his rivals in the first mountain top finish.

Personally, I do not think that it is game over. There are a number of riders this year who are up there in contention, Froome has not displayed dominance in the build up to the tour, and we haven't even got to the more mountainous stages where the race will come to life ... or not if Si S's forecast become the reality.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

citoyen

TdeF 2017
« Reply #205 on: 06 July, 2017, 07:21:17 pm »
You're all being boringly literal. I have been watching the race so you don't need to recount the details for my benefit.

So yeah, he's been good enough so far, but hasn't taken yellow by virtue of a decisive coup de théatre like he did in 2013 and last year.

My fear is that none of his rivals look strong enough to make him need to do any more than be solidly competent.

I'd love Dan Martin to give him a real challenge but his time trialling will be his undoing. Likewise Aru, Bardet and Yates. Porte was yet again found to be lacking the killer instinct yesterday. Quintana and Pinot just have too much Giro in their legs.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #206 on: 06 July, 2017, 07:29:38 pm »
The team has lodged an appeal with the CAS - http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bora-hansgrohe-appeal-to-cas-to-reverse-sagans-tour-de-france-expulsion/ - but the chances of CPS being let back in seem, to the assembled pundits and Bethany (7), slim.

Speed at which CAS work will probably mean TdF is finished before decision is made.

CAS uphold disqualification of Crazy P Sagan

« Reply #207 on: 06 July, 2017, 07:41:01 pm »
Why not we have Monsieur Larringtons commentary sur le tele en Angleterre?

« Reply #208 on: 06 July, 2017, 08:14:21 pm »
So yeah, he's been good enough so far, but hasn't taken yellow by virtue of a decisive coup de théatre like he did in 2013 and last year.

Incorrect.  He has been more than good enough; he has been better than his main rivals.  Taking so much time out of them on the TT was a decisive coup de théatre.  All he has to do now is defend the time advantage or extend when opportunity arises as he did on Stage 5.

It's really down to others to provide the decisive coup de théatre to wrestle the yellow jumper from him.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #209 on: 06 July, 2017, 08:16:12 pm »

+1 - it needs a wider audience!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #210 on: 06 July, 2017, 08:17:25 pm »
CAS uphold disqualification of Crazy P Sagan

Ouch!  Clearly an 'open and shut' case so far as CAS are concerned.

« Reply #211 on: 06 July, 2017, 08:34:08 pm »

Incorrect.  He has been more than good enough; he has been better than his main rivals.  Taking so much time out of them on the TT was a decisive coup de théatre.  All he has to do now is defend the time advantage or extend when opportunity arises as he did on Stage 5.

It's really down to others to provide the decisive coup de théatre to wrestle the yellow jumper from him.

Incorrectamundo.

He lost time (A lot of time) to Aru on stage 5. He couldn't haul him back.  If Aru can do that once or twice again he'll win. Note that Froome had nobody left when Aru went, he couldnt do the standard Sky trick of slowly winding him in. The final TT isn't long enough for Froome to bank on, plus its hilly which plays into Aru's hands.

Froome will not be able sit back on this. He's going to have to really fight. It will light up on the next mountain stage. I expect he'll have to develop a pollen allergy or something.

« Reply #212 on: 06 July, 2017, 08:45:53 pm »
Incorrectamundo. ........etc

Errr, last time I looked Froome was ahead of Aru, and I did say:

Which is exactly what Aru will have to do, and anyone else for that matter.

Defending the time advantage does not just mean sitting back.  He can attack and gain more time and I'm sure they are aware that attack is the best form of defence.

They clearly cannot rely on the final 22km TT as anything could happen to upset the applecart, punctures etc, and I have no doubt they will be planning to go into that with a handsome time gap on the others.  So over to the others to 'light it up' in the mountains.

citoyen

« Reply #213 on: 06 July, 2017, 08:54:13 pm »
Taking so much time out of them on the TT was a decisive coup de théatre

I don't think you know what that phrase means.

He finished sixth on the stage, only 25 seconds ahead of Simon Yates who is a rubbish time trialist. Richie Porte's time was a reflection of how cautiously he rode, not how well Froome rode.

« Reply #214 on: 06 July, 2017, 08:55:09 pm »
Incorrectamundo. ........etc

Errr, last time I looked Froome was ahead of Aru, and I did say:

Which is exactly what Aru will have to do, and anyone else for that matter.

Defending the time advantage does not just mean sitting back.  He can attack and gain more time and I'm sure they are aware that attack is the best form of defence.

They clearly cannot rely on the final 22km TT as anything could happen to upset the applecart, punctures etc, and I have no doubt they will be planning to go into that with a handsome time gap on the others.  So over to the others to 'light it up' in the mountains.

Do pay attention, 007.

Froome lost 26 seconds to Aru on Stage 5

citoyen

« Reply #215 on: 06 July, 2017, 09:01:44 pm »
The final TT isn't long enough for Froome to bank on, plus its hilly which plays into Aru's hands.

I hope you're right.

Saturday and Sunday's stages should be instructive.

« Reply #216 on: 06 July, 2017, 09:11:08 pm »
Aye.

The thing about Stage 5 was that it was just one HC climb in a short stage. We'll have to see if Aru can do the same after a full mountain stage with 4 or 5 climbs. The comparative lack of depth in Astana compared to Sky didnt seem to matter to Aru, and I cant see Porte and Martin's team being able to gang up on Aru.

Froome will be needing a special package of marginal gains couriered to him.

« Reply #217 on: 06 July, 2017, 09:15:31 pm »

And he will have to repeat such performances while also being a 'marked man' as Sky have indicated.

Should liven up the race which a few folk seem to consider it to be boring.  I disagree and look forward to the mountain stages, particularly the longer climbs that seem to suit the other GC contenders better.

« Reply #218 on: 06 July, 2017, 09:25:19 pm »
Taking so much time out of them on the TT was a decisive coup de théatre
I don't think you know what that phrase means.

Trite comment.  If I don't know then Mr Internet will tell me!

He finished sixth on the stage, only 25 seconds ahead of Simon Yates who is a rubbish time trialist. Richie Porte's time was a reflection of how cautiously he rode, not how well Froome rode.

And the commentators did observe that Yates had done the ride of his life.  Froome rode very well compared to his stated GC rivals which is a reflection of his ability and the decision of Porte to ride cautiously highlighted that Froome is currently ahead of the game in the Froome-Porte battle (along with the additional 4s he took on Stage 5).  As for the other GC contenders, I suppose they were just not good enough on the day thereby giving Froome a decisive coup de théatre* on his rivals and many commentators who expected folk like Martin to be in the frame.

* http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/coup-de-theatre just in case you need it.

Chris S

« Reply #219 on: 06 July, 2017, 09:30:39 pm »

Indeed. He did recognise this in a TV interview - ICBA to look it up and quote him now, but in essence, he said "Yeah, we shouldn't have let him get away like that."

dim

« Reply #220 on: 06 July, 2017, 09:40:53 pm »
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #221 on: 06 July, 2017, 09:42:16 pm »
Aye.

The thing about Stage 5 was that it was just one HC climb in a short stage. We'll have to see if Aru can do the same after a full mountain stage with 4 or 5 climbs. The comparative lack of depth in Astana compared to Sky didnt seem to matter to Aru, and I cant see Porte and Martin's team being able to gang up on Aru.

Froome will be needing a special package of marginal gains couriered to him.

He will probably have to level the cols playing field to the same level as Astana. Vino is probably up in the clouds even now as DS (or is it manager)

« Reply #222 on: 06 July, 2017, 09:52:04 pm »
.................... Aru looked megadoped ................

Sadly, that was my first thought ........

« Reply #223 on: 06 July, 2017, 09:56:21 pm »

Indeed. He did recognise this in a TV interview - ICBA to look it up and quote him now, but in essence, he said "Yeah, we shouldn't have let him get away like that."

On this page:

http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2017/us/stage-5/news/int/chris-froome-the-race-is-far-from-over.html

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #224 on: 07 July, 2017, 01:34:40 am »

+1 - it needs a wider audience!

Bethany's Mum vetoed it.