Author Topic: TdeF 2017  (Read 96003 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: TdeF 2017
« Reply #525 on: 15 July, 2017, 09:18:38 pm »
Astana
0.25" Aru
1.14" Zeits
2.18" Valgren
6.28" Lutsenko
13.17" Grivko
13.17" Kozhatayev
13.17" Gruzdev

Cannondale:
Clarke +12
Brown +1.15
Bettiol +3.09
Van Baarle +8.00
Bevin +13.17
Talansky +13.17
Rolland +13.17
Phinney +13.17

...and yet Uran managed to cross the line with Froome.

Maybe there's more to it than just poor tactics or being caught out?

Unless Aru was really suffering and had borrowed the legs Froome had on Stage 11 on Wednesday

I think so. And I wonder if maybe it's more than just a bad day. Maybe Aru is actually cooked? There were question marks over his form coming into the Tour because of his lack of racing this year, but a decent showing in the Dauphiné and winning the Italian national title and suddenly people were hailing him as a contender again. Thing is, the Dauphiné is only a week long and isn't nearly as tough as the Tour.

I guess we'll find out on Wednesday, if not sooner.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #526 on: 15 July, 2017, 09:28:50 pm »
Looks like that Nice C Boardman called it just right, apart from the bit about the trebuchet.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #527 on: 15 July, 2017, 09:34:24 pm »
Maybe Aru is actually cooked?
From what I saw on the magic goldfish bowl he didn't look in terribly good shape coming up to the line at today's stage, but looks can be deceiving.

Waits with 'bated breath for the next thrilling installment...
GRAMS:  The Devil's Gallop
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #528 on: 15 July, 2017, 10:41:35 pm »
Ouch.

“He just didn’t stay on my wheel so it’s hard to keep him at the front,” Aru’s Astana teammate Michael Valgren said.

“It was kind of a lottery to be at the front, I don’t know what happened to Fabio to be honest.”

http://www.velonews.com/stages/2017-tour-de-france-stage-14
Ouch indeed!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #529 on: 15 July, 2017, 11:10:06 pm »
From what I saw on the magic goldfish bowl he didn't look in terribly good shape coming up to the line at today's stage, but looks can be deceiving.

The pace being set by the QuickStep guy (Vermote? Brambilla?) in the closing kms was ferocious. I think Aru just couldn't keep up - and to be fair, he wasn't the only one.

« Reply #530 on: 16 July, 2017, 08:37:45 am »
Are we just expecting too much from GC contenders these days  :-[

Froome drops off the leaders on the vertical runway and everyone is in shock but if he outguns everyone on every stage then the whispers start that he's obviously receiving some 'extra' help  :o :o

The same is true for all the big team leaders, Dumoulin looked vulnerable many times during the Giro, maybe as the sport cleans up this is the future. Some ridiculously good strong days followed by 'ouch everything hurts' and 'I can't hold on' days  ???

But it does make for better racing.

« Reply #531 on: 16 July, 2017, 09:05:46 am »
It was nice to see Vin Denson on the ITV4 highlights. I can remember riding a 50 with him in the field in the late 1990s. Some good anecdotes from him.
[/quote

first time ITV coverage has been better than Eurosport with Pippa and David as well. Vin was great, direct and entertaining

Samuel D

« Reply #532 on: 16 July, 2017, 10:58:36 am »
More top-notch awareness and tactics by Team Sky.

Because they treated it like it was a bike race?

Seems to me more like ineptitude on Aru's part than genius on Sky's.

I’m not claiming genius but good planning, high awareness on the road, and tactics and team strength to make the most of any opportunity. Astana sadly lacks all of these except reliably good tactics when situational awareness is high.

For example, did you see Sky had people handing out musettes at 20-something km to go? They were the only team doing that. All the others relied on riders going back to the team cars. In this kind of finish, where positioning is everything, that gives the Sky riders an advantage.

Read this, especially Froome’s praise of Kwiatkowski, Rowe talking about studying the video from two years ago, and Portal explaining how Kiryienka reported Aru’s position as he fell back following his long pull.

Sure, it’s all just treating it as a bike race, but why don’t the others do that then? The answer is that it’s hard, requiring consistently high effort and motivation from all team members.

Eventually that pays off as it did yesterday.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #533 on: 16 July, 2017, 04:09:06 pm »
What a race but Doctor Who, then puncture, Who#13, race, Froome. #nomorenails
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #534 on: 16 July, 2017, 04:09:57 pm »
Froome being booed in the Col de Peyra Taillade. Not nice. :(  It's Bardet's home turf and Auvergnats are famously mean.

OTOH today I met a French guy in Sky shorts.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #535 on: 16 July, 2017, 06:06:25 pm »
I wonder how much is Froome vs SKY that is getting booed?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #536 on: 16 July, 2017, 07:29:16 pm »
Is it just me, or are those "sponsored by Watchfinder" adverts a bit gay?  I mean, they out-Rapha Rapha for homoerotic MAMIL closeups and the slo-mo is bizarre*

*unless he's just not very fit and actually rides at that pace
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #537 on: 16 July, 2017, 07:37:33 pm »
Is it just me, or are those "sponsored by Watchfinder" adverts a bit gay?  I mean, they out-Rapha Rapha for homoerotic MAMIL closeups and the slo-mo is bizarre*

*unless he's just not very fit and actually rides at that pace

Or does your view belong to a period when dinosaurs roamed the planet?

Perhaps the slo-mo is to enable you to admire the watch. Clue is in the sponsor.

citoyen

TdeF 2017
« Reply #538 on: 16 July, 2017, 07:56:16 pm »
I’m not claiming genius but good planning, high awareness on the road, and tactics and team strength to make the most of any opportunity. Astana sadly lacks all of these except reliably good tactics when situational awareness is high.

Yeah, ok, I'm with you on that. They were almost caught out today by another well-drilled team though.

Sure, it’s all just treating it as a bike race, but why don’t the others do that then? The answer is that it’s hard, requiring consistently high effort and motivation from all team members.

Indeed. Also takes a team leader with genuine leadership qualities, which Aru seems to lack.

I would like to see other teams take the race to Sky more often, like we saw today from AG2R. Movistar can usually be relied on to try something but they've been on the back foot since day one this year. BMC have strength in depth but have had a bit of a nightmare - shame, because Caruso looks in superb form and could have been a useful plan B if he hadn't lost time early on. QuickStep also look strong but aren't riding for GC. Cannondale look as ramshackle as ever but luckily Uran doesn't seem to need a team.

« Reply #539 on: 16 July, 2017, 09:36:45 pm »
Gripping stage today.

Any idea what the nature of Froome’s mechanical was? At first I thought it was a bike swap but I see from the highlights that it was a rear wheel swap.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #540 on: 16 July, 2017, 09:42:21 pm »
I think they said it was lack of air within tyre.

« Reply #541 on: 16 July, 2017, 09:44:55 pm »
Gripping stage today.

Any idea what the nature of Froome’s mechanical was? At first I thought it was a bike swap but I see from the highlights that it was a rear wheel swap.

Puncture. At least that what was said during interview. Hence why he was having difficulty staying with the group.  Had it have been a real 'mechanical' (such as mech or shifters) he would not have swapped wheels to solve problem.  Might. Had a spoke problem but I doubt it.

« Reply #542 on: 16 July, 2017, 09:48:53 pm »
Ah ok, cheers. In the only post-race interview I have seen, Froome referred to it as “a bit of a mechanical” or something. Maybe he doesn’t like to say the p-word.

« Reply #543 on: 16 July, 2017, 09:50:11 pm »
Is it just me, or are those "sponsored by Watchfinder" adverts a bit gay?

I think that might be just you. For me, the ads produce only a feeling of extreme tedium - and that’s from someone who likes old watches.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #544 on: 16 July, 2017, 09:52:04 pm »
Gripping stage today.

Puncture. At least that what was said during interview. Hence why he was having difficulty staying with the group.  Had it have been a real 'mechanical' (such as mech or shifters) he would not have swapped wheels to solve problem.  Might. Had a spoke problem but I doubt it.

Quote from: Froome
Things had been going perfectly, I broke a spoke and the wheel wasn’t straight any more. We changed the wheel as fast as we could,
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #545 on: 16 July, 2017, 09:53:16 pm »
Things had been going perfectly, I broke a spoke and the wheel wasn’t straight any more. We changed the wheel as fast as we could,

Thanks!

citoyen

« Reply #546 on: 16 July, 2017, 09:58:02 pm »

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #547 on: 16 July, 2017, 10:04:51 pm »
Froome being booed in the Col de Peyra Taillade. Not nice. :(  It's Bardet's home turf and Auvergnats are famously mean.

OTOH today I met a French guy in Sky shorts.

Yeah the booing was a bit disappointing
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #548 on: 16 July, 2017, 10:21:19 pm »

Thanks!
Hang on. A few years ago the deal was rounder wheels, according to Baldy Brailsford. Now they want wheels that stay straight. It's a right old puzzle.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #549 on: 16 July, 2017, 10:49:08 pm »
O hai!  P@nd3m1c Pr0duckt10nzTM® Daily TdF Fake News has been delayed coz we only finished watching teh stage at 10 pm and getting two Microsith products on the same fondleslab to behave like they do under Windows is an exercise in futility >:(  A pox on B Gates, S Ballmer ect ect.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime