Author Topic: TdeF 2017  (Read 95529 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: TdeF 2017
« Reply #700 on: 22 July, 2017, 03:17:40 pm »
L Rowe: he's quite good at this punditry thing :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #701 on: 22 July, 2017, 04:13:26 pm »
Missed it. :(

Not much. I think the only thing we learned from that was that the format doesn't work on such a short course with the time gaps as they were.
True :)

Of course that assumes that they wanted an exciting finale. Which they certainly didnt get. (It was no less dull than I expect the men's "normal" TT to be today, but that's not very relevant.) One might argue that it did succesfully measure the best performance over the two stages.

I got the impression that lizzie's diplomatic comment - "It does need some work." - was more about the experience the riders had than the "spectacle". It amazes me how shambolic elite bike races can still be in 2017. Why no radios? That seems guaranteed to suck any tension out of a format where the riders can't even see each-other from the off. They only needed 20 of the flippin things!
Coverage was appaling - even Luke "Lanterne Rouge" Rowe had better camerawork. I have numerous other whinges ...

And the issue of why the wimmins could only ride the last 67km of the Izoard stage seems to have been hushed up. I shall congratulate my female clubmate on her impossible completion of The Etape!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #702 on: 22 July, 2017, 04:26:59 pm »
Froome made that hill look easy. Sadly the booing is high.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #703 on: 22 July, 2017, 04:35:54 pm »
Pleasing to see Bardet crossing the line ahead of Froome though, and doing just enough to keep his podium spot.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #704 on: 22 July, 2017, 04:48:09 pm »
By less than a second. He didn't expect that this morning. I reckon he chose the wrong gearing for the climb, but it was the sea-front wind that sank him.  Froome went motoring up the hill with what looked like twice the cadence, but then he does that.

Poor old Landa will be a bit bored.

A wee bit pissed off at the booing, but unfortunately it's common enough in French sport.  I once went to the French R.U. championship final with Béziers supporters, and the stuff they screamed at Clermont would have taken paint off a wall.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #705 on: 22 July, 2017, 05:21:13 pm »
Froome was 51 sec ahead of Uran after the opening TT.  He's now 54 sec ahead, so he was pulling away from Uran at an average of 1 second a week.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #706 on: 22 July, 2017, 05:36:36 pm »
I tend to prefer it when the yellow jersey wins the occasional stage along the way, but that's just me being picky.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #707 on: 22 July, 2017, 05:39:33 pm »
Stage 20: Marseille

NC Boardman:T Martin! Sandpaper, saddle! Maeks mi eyes water and probably illegal!
G Imlach:O hai! Me agane, wot Bethany (7) said, and over 2 TV’s N Boulting & Super D Millar!
N Boulting:O hai! L Rowe, lanterne rouge, Marseille, isn’t it brilliant! SD Millar, iz teh climb T Martinable1?
SD Millar:No. No, it iz not. I, TV’s Super D Millar, hold it 2 be much MOAR C Froomey! Teh bitsteepfulness ov it iz terrific and teh descent iz scarymongoosetastic!
N Boulting:Iz S Cummingsworthi?
SD Millar:Yes. Yes, it iz. Sketchy.
Omnes:FFS, u 2, enuff already with teh neologisms!
SD Millar:“Sketchy” iz teh perfectly cromulent word!
N Boulting:At least it iz not raining roffle! Gears!
SD Millar:Rain would be altogether too lolmungous 4 everyone xept TV’s Evil C Boardman! Everyone haz teh wrong gears because I, TV’s Super D Millar, say so!
N Boulting:… G Bole, a Slovenian very much liek P Roglic2
Omnes::facepalm:
L Rowe:w00t! Teh hot seat! Oh! Plz can I haz a towel? Mi bum iz on fire!
M Rendall:O halloumi L Rowe stadio assourdissant myn stieg blong reverse gear?
L Rowe:O hai! W Rooney! (Aside…) What did he just say?
G Thomas:‘s OK, L Rowe, u will not be there long. Come 2 teh pub when u get beat; iz my round!
5:(Sighs…) Oooh, he’s so yummy!
G Thomas:Yoicks!
[…]
S Cummings:O hai! I, S Cummings, no longer liek this game! Iz hot! Plz I come 2 teh pub too, G Thomas?
G Thomas:Teh MOAR teh merrier! Hic!
[…]
SD Millar:Teh form bok: iz nonse!
N Boulting:T Martin! M Bodnar! V Kiryienka!
Omnes:Iz V Kiryienka wearing teh V Kiryienka mask agane, *** LOL?
N Boulting:Fck! Off!
M Bodnar:O hai! I doned teh bestest tiem and u useless fckrs not put me on teh TV until last 2nd! U utter gits!
T Martin:Piss!
M Bodnar:Yay! Pwnage!
[…]
J Castroviejo:WTF? 30 seconds in and I fall off? FFS!
B-Dog:O hai! Niec ov u 2 make me into E Higgs BOson. Not.
PT Voeckler:O hai! Bof! Hollywood beckons!
M Kwiatkowski:Arse!
P Roglic:Noes! Mi biek! Piss!
S [“Poisonous term” – Ed.]anel:O hai! I, S [“Poisonous term” – Ed.]anel, multiple tiem-trial champion ov France, am not enjoying zis vair much! Still, 17 consecutive Tours ov France, she iz not 2 be sniffed @, hein?
Bethany’s Mum:Sniff? U got sniff? He-lloooo, big boy!
Bethany (7):FFS!
[…]
Bethany (7):Yay! Go W Barguil!
A Contador:O hai! Spaign-o? Which way plz?
[…]
A Contador:Ha ha! Fooled u! Agane! Roffle!
M Bodnar:Yoicks!
W Barguil:O hai! I, W Barguil, Roi des Montagnes, sez this course iz teh suxx0r!
N Boulting:Juniorshinyjumper. Teh climb will favour S Yates. And L Minkies3.
Omnes::facepalm:
S Yates:Yay! Teh juniorshinyjumper iz mine!
[…]
R Urán:O hai! Get rich or die trying, eh?
R Bardet:I ATE’NT DEAD! (Dies)
M Landa:Wowsa!
R Urán:Hullo clouds hullo T $ky hullo crash barrier! Whoopsie!
Bethany (7):U muppet, R Urán!
C Froome:I C U, R Bardet!
SD Millar:Eeeep!
M Landa:Piss! TP Fairy, plz 2 attack R Bardet 2moro? A lot!
R Bardet:Ooog! 2 close 4 wossname, that!
Bethany (7):LOL @ R Bardet!
C Froome:Yay!
M Bodnar:Fck off, C Froome! Only 1 person pwned teh stage, u kno! Me. Meeeee!
[…]
SD Brailsford:Vell, C Froome’s just zis guy, u kno!
[…]
TD Gendt:W Barguil most aggressive rider? FFS!
Bethany (7):\o/ (MOAR dancing…)

• Yes, he really did say that

So, teh stage iz set 4 teh ceremonial Pootle into [”so Money Supermarket” - Ed.] Paree. Will *** finally learn teh difference between a village and a hamlet? Can A Greipel finally win a stage? Who will Bethany (7) kick next? Will we get 2 see teh genuine pelican? Will S Yates emulate his brother and turn into teh mardy toddler? Tune in 2moro 4 teh final slab ov teh TdF 2017 Alternative Lies!!1! And not 2 forget teh prestigious P@nd3m1c Pr0duckt10nzTM® Awardz Sponsored by Teh Watchfinder-General’s mate P0rl from Leatherhead: “Much MOAR betterer than teh silly old Oscraz” ~ Bethany (7).

« Reply #708 on: 22 July, 2017, 06:08:32 pm »
Are any bonus seconds on offer tomorrow?  I recall someone popping up a step in the pecking order in this way on a previous tour - though I could be mistaken. 
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #709 on: 22 July, 2017, 06:12:48 pm »
Are any bonus seconds on offer tomorrow?  I recall someone popping up a step in the pecking order in this way on a previous tour - though I could be mistaken.

Apparently yes, so Landa could get on the podium.  That would make for a final stage worth watching (the sprint anyway). 

Whether it's in the "spirit" of the Tour and it will be allowed to happen I don't know.  It would certainly be extremely unpopular with the crowd to the point where there could be nasty scenes on the podium!
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #710 on: 22 July, 2017, 06:49:51 pm »
There's an intermediate sprint. I would be very surprised if there wasn't a bid by Landa and some of his team to make at least a half attempt at that sprint. I don't think they will try at the final sprint.

Bardet looked a bit beaten up today, so might not be in a good position to defend any attempts by Landa.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #711 on: 22 July, 2017, 06:54:27 pm »
It would also require Landa to out sprint the likes of Greipal, BH and the Green jumper to name a few and that is not going to happen. Equally unlikely is Team Sky being allowed to break away.

Barring accidents etc, podium positions have been set in stone and Landa will have accepted that and realised that an extra stomach wrenching effort over the last 50m or less would have put him on the podium.  I think he has ridden brilliantly and look forward to seeing him 'off the leash' next year.

« Reply #712 on: 22 July, 2017, 06:56:39 pm »
There's an intermediate sprint. I would be very surprised if there wasn't a bid by Landa and some of his team to make at least a half attempt at that sprint. I don't think they will try at the final sprint.

Bardet looked a bit beaten up today, so might not be in a good position to defend any attempts by Landa.

With time bonus or just jersey points?

Might have been relevant if Green jersey was still in play for points. Perhaps they will allow Tommy V to have the honour on his last TdF.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #713 on: 22 July, 2017, 07:07:49 pm »
I tend to prefer it when the yellow jersey wins the occasional stage along the way, but that's just me being picky.
You mean like that Texan fella did?

To be fair to Froome, he came pretty close a few times. I think this was his most exciting win yet! (make of that what you will ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #714 on: 22 July, 2017, 07:15:49 pm »

To be fair to Froome, he came pretty close a few times. I think this was his most exciting win yet! (make of that what you will ... )

I was thinking more of this chap.  Perhaps my expectations are unrealistic.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #715 on: 22 July, 2017, 07:19:39 pm »
No time bonuses at intermediate sprints this year so Landa would have to be in the top three at the end. Can't see it with the likes of Greipel, Matthews, Bouhanni, Degenkolb and probably nine or a dozen others all going for the stage.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #716 on: 22 July, 2017, 07:25:36 pm »

I was thinking more of this chap.  Perhaps my expectations are unrealistic.
That was a long time ago. Did you race against him?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #717 on: 22 July, 2017, 07:28:01 pm »

That was a long time ago. Did you race against him?

No, just shook his hand.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #718 on: 22 July, 2017, 07:30:39 pm »
 ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #719 on: 22 July, 2017, 08:58:00 pm »
I think I'd like to see a few more Ts de F like this one.  Nice not to have the result irrevocably1 decided a week or more before the end.   At the moment am not sure whether to be miffed that R. Bardet didn't win or pleased that C. Froome did.

Just out of interest; anyone know/remember any other edition of the tour where one team has held the yellow jumper (TM *** Boulting) for very nearly the whole race? 

1 - I know; nothing is irrevocable in bike racing until the race is over2, but in some recent years it has been a case of , "tell me how much he's won by" rather than "will he be able to hold onto his lead".

2 - Assuming there has been no naughtiness on the part of the "winning" rider.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #720 on: 22 July, 2017, 09:38:13 pm »
Just out of interest; anyone know/remember any other edition of the tour where one team has held the yellow jumper (TM *** Boulting) for very nearly the whole race? 

Has been held by same rider for whole tour on 4 previous occasions:

https://www.rodalewellness.com/fitness/tour-de-france-jersey-history/slide/1

And I think what is really impressive is that Team Sky have held the Team classification from start to finish, which just shows how strong a team they were overall.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #721 on: 22 July, 2017, 09:39:42 pm »
Have a look at
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_jersey_statistics
and
http://www.letour.fr/HISTO/us/TDF/index.html

Check out the years when there were very few yellow jersey holders.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #722 on: 22 July, 2017, 11:50:17 pm »
And I think what is really impressive is that Team Sky have held the Team classification from start to finish, which just shows how strong a team they were overall. much more money they have compared to other teams.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #723 on: 23 July, 2017, 05:39:33 am »
No time bonuses at intermediate sprints this year so Landa would have to be in the top three at the end. Can't see it with the likes of Greipel, Matthews, Bouhanni, Degenkolb and probably nine or a dozen others all going for the stage.

I didn't realise there were no time bonuses at the intermediate sprint, so I agree, the podium looks set as it is.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #724 on: 23 July, 2017, 09:35:09 am »

... still waiting to see Degenkolb and Bouhanni dukin it out!  A fighting finale   ;)