Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1751241 times)

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #6250 on: 05 March, 2015, 10:44:34 am »
I think your day lady has more to adjust to than most given the name you've saddled her with.  The fact you're still alive is frankly astonishing!

I like to live life on the edge OD  ::-) however I am also amazed that she took it so well, I did learn an interesting lesson last night whereby introducing myself to Carlos and Ted as James aka Doggers Lane was slightly how shall I put it - strange  ;)

« Reply #6251 on: 05 March, 2015, 10:47:06 am »
Don't worry, nothing seems strange in the Oddie.

I didn't mention that bit to Mrs Shred.

She was already confused about the beer/cycling/darkness/strange men interface.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6252 on: 05 March, 2015, 10:53:42 am »
Just tell your friends and colleagues that you spent last night with some blokes you met on the Internet!  A dust pan and brush to sweep up dropped jaws might be handy.

The Retiree

« Reply #6253 on: 05 March, 2015, 10:58:05 am »
Just tell your friends and colleagues that you spent last night with some blokes you met on the Internet!  A dust pan and brush to sweep up dropped jaws might be handy.

I certainly find my colleagues in the office look at me in a slightly different way since I mentioned this is my new Wednesday night social activity  :o oh wait a minute it may also involve the DL username  :facepalm: (I haven't actually disclosed the latter part of this post to them!)

« Reply #6254 on: 05 March, 2015, 11:20:06 am »
my work colleagues are still mentally scarred from the glimpses they get of me arriving in cycling tights.

This would be too much for them on top of that.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6255 on: 05 March, 2015, 07:09:50 pm »
We've had an un-eventful MEMWNS winter [no snow, ice-related offs and even the Xmas Do was strangely sensible], then last night's fun and games happens, and I missed it  ::-)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6256 on: 05 March, 2015, 08:17:23 pm »
I think your day lady has more to adjust to than most given the name you've saddled her with.  The fact you're still alive is frankly astonishing!

I like to live life on the edge OD  ::-) however I am also amazed that she took it so well, I did learn an interesting lesson last night whereby introducing myself to Carlos and Ted as James aka Doggers Lane was slightly how shall I put it - strange  ;)

OD - are you suggesting that Doggers has a separate "night lady"?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #6257 on: 05 March, 2015, 08:32:16 pm »
I must mention there was a third off last night. Oros came a cropper at the Spa Road round about meeting point. Wrong foot unclipped apparently!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6258 on: 05 March, 2015, 08:34:49 pm »
I must mention there was a third off last night. Oros came a cropper at the Spa Road round about meeting point. Wrong foot unclipped apparently!

Good effort!  Doing it whilst getting ready to set off on the way home would have been more in keeping with time-honoured traditions.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6259 on: 06 March, 2015, 08:41:56 am »

OD - are you suggesting that Doggers has a separate "night lady"?

My typing is getting atrocious   ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6260 on: 06 March, 2015, 08:43:38 am »
We've had an un-eventful MEMWNS winter [no snow, ice-related offs and even the Xmas Do was strangely sensible], then last night's fun and games happens, and I missed it  ::-)

Clearly we were missing your steadying hand on the tiller  ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6261 on: 09 March, 2015, 11:11:20 am »
If we may be excused a little advance planning at this early part of the week to give all, old hands and new joiners, chance to pitch in with availability and adventurousness for Wednesday I suggest we convene at a refreshment location near Braintree.  King Billy or Wagon & Horses are clear choices unless someone has a different suggestion in the general area capable of accommodating 6 to 8 sweaty cyclists.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6262 on: 09 March, 2015, 11:19:08 am »
Braintree  :thumbsup:

Offers all manner of possibilities ... The Mighty North Hill, Flitch Way ...

The Retiree

« Reply #6263 on: 09 March, 2015, 11:33:27 am »
If we may be excused a little advance planning at this early part of the week to give all, old hands and new joiners, chance to pitch in with availability and adventurousness for Wednesday I suggest we convene at a refreshment location near Braintree.  King Billy or Wagon & Horses are clear choices unless someone has a different suggestion in the general area capable of accommodating 6 to 8 sweaty cyclists.

Sounds good to me, I think last time we visited the Billy our 30 mile route went past the Compasses door whereby we stopped for a swift pint and collected Tomsk before pressing on......

The Retiree

« Reply #6264 on: 09 March, 2015, 12:41:26 pm »
As promised here is Carlosfandango's grand entrance to The Odd One Out last Wednesday, he has certainly set the bar high on first introductions upon meeting OD

http://youtu.be/xFhs-AoM9H8

« Reply #6265 on: 09 March, 2015, 12:53:19 pm »
 ;D :thumbsup:

Glad the knee was all good for the weekend as well!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6266 on: 09 March, 2015, 12:54:18 pm »
Like I said to Carlos on Saturday anyone capable of such stupidity likely to go far in our merry band!

Well done sir - we applaud you  :thumbsup: 

The Retiree

« Reply #6267 on: 09 March, 2015, 12:58:15 pm »
And Carlos as promised if I win the £250 on You've Been Framed I shall shout you a new pair of bibtights...  :thumbsup:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6268 on: 09 March, 2015, 03:15:20 pm »
Braintree  :thumbsup:

^ This!  :thumbsup:

Offers all manner of possibilities ... The Mighty North Hill,

^ This: also possible...

Flitch Way ...

^ This: nahhh!  Want to keep my tyres clean :)

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6269 on: 09 March, 2015, 03:25:18 pm »
As promised here is Carlosfandango's grand entrance to The Odd One Out last Wednesday, he has certainly set the bar high on first introductions upon meeting OD

http://youtu.be/xFhs-AoM9H8

Where did anyone get the idea they had to prostrate themselves at OD's feet on first meeting?  I suppose, at least, you didn't try to kiss his ring.

Also - I can't quite make out the super-wide-wheels on the video (or the Panama cigar post-fall, for that matter).

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6270 on: 09 March, 2015, 05:06:22 pm »
Actually, thinking about it, I'm not that keen on the mucky Flitch Way either.  My wheels, fresh back from Harry, are still relatively clean, as are my new brake blocks.

If anyone is interested I have a 65k route from Witham to the Wagon & Horses which we rode on 27th March 2013; I seem to remember this was a bitterly cold night.  It could easily be finessed to go to the King Billy.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6271 on: 09 March, 2015, 05:16:20 pm »

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6272 on: 09 March, 2015, 05:36:20 pm »
finessed

Uh oh!  The "f" word!

I will have you know, you cheeky git, I that I did my own navigational thing on Saturday, as is my habit and I had NO navigational moments AT ALL!!!  So there  :P

Although that said, my Garmin did keep switching itself off but I changed batteries at Newmarket and it behaved perfectly after that.  Perhaps I have a dodgy AA cell, or perhaps I hadn't clicked them into the battery bay properly.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6273 on: 10 March, 2015, 07:51:51 am »
If anyone is interested I have a 65k route from Witham to the Wagon & Horses which we rode on 27th March 2013; I seem to remember this was a bitterly cold night.  It could easily be finessed to go to the King Billy.

I have done some significant finessing and offer you THIS ROUTE.  39 miles to and from the Spa Road roundabout ascending TMNH and passing through Maldon.  Those coming from Colchester could meet us en route as could Tomsk.  What do we think?  NB: for some reason Bikely doesn't seem to like uploading my routes anymore so I have gone back to BRT.

There is a possibility I make not be at the roundabout by 7:30pm tomorrow evening so press on without me, no need to wait.

« Reply #6274 on: 10 March, 2015, 08:46:54 am »
I can't see a route, it just takes me to the homepage?

I am planning on being out but not sure what my exact circumstances will be. I'll be working from home but believe I maybe in charge of the little tippers for some time. Don't wait around for me if I am not at Spa road either I will either catch you on the road or at the King Billy (or be accepting my responsibilities as a father if need be)