Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1751119 times)

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #7525 on: 04 August, 2015, 04:44:36 pm »
It's easy by boat, I can see it.

There is the Alma at Harwich (OD went there a few weeks ago).

The Green Man at Bradwell.

There must be a pub at Shoeburyness

The Bristol Arms at Shotley

The Old Ferry Boat at Felixstowe Ferry

Ramsholt Arms on the Deben

Jolly Sailor at Orford.

I've been to most by boat but not by bike.

An irregular weekend series ?

Not a MEMWNS?? More Bike n less Beer

« Reply #7526 on: 04 August, 2015, 04:46:18 pm »
Either bikes less beer at a weekend or boats and bikes.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

« Reply #7527 on: 04 August, 2015, 04:50:35 pm »
Either bikes less beer at a weekend or boats and bikes.

Boats and bikes hmmmmm, weekend may preclude me as it does for audaxes as I don't have the time for long rides. Our little excursion to Wally's wasn't met with great delight at the Home Office after returning an hour and a half after I said I would be back! It's ok though I blamed in on Oaky  ;)

« Reply #7528 on: 04 August, 2015, 04:54:06 pm »
Oaky who wasn't there, nice work.

Well for those of us who can get a weekend pass an early start out to the seaside with a swift stop and back might work.

I am just idly looking for things to do that don't involve brevet cards, luggage, travelling to France etc but do involve bikes and beer.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #7529 on: 04 August, 2015, 04:56:54 pm »
Time you lot came to my local - the Henny Swan. I'd even ride the 100m to get there!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7530 on: 04 August, 2015, 05:02:42 pm »
Time you lot came to my local - the Henny Swan. I'd even ride the 100m to get there!

How many miles from Witham I wonder?

TimC

« Reply #7531 on: 04 August, 2015, 05:04:28 pm »
About 17, I believe.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7532 on: 04 August, 2015, 05:22:20 pm »
About 17, I believe.

When are you next at home on a Wednesday evening?

TimC

« Reply #7533 on: 04 August, 2015, 06:01:58 pm »
Tomorrow, and next Wednesday are fine. Not sure after that.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7534 on: 05 August, 2015, 07:29:33 am »

Chaps, shall we ride up to Henny next Wednesday?  Obviously some of the PBP gang will already left.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7535 on: 05 August, 2015, 08:07:03 am »

Chaps, shall we ride up to Henny next Wednesday?  Obviously some of the PBP gang will already left.
West this week, East next week  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7536 on: 05 August, 2015, 08:42:35 am »
Viper & Three Elms sound very convenient for me! :D  :thumbsup: I may even bring out the CdF for its inaugural MEMWNS ride :)
Ok, after some more thought and that Tomsk is not going to be joining us this week & he already has the pork scratchings order sorted....back to plan A of just The Viper [40 miles seems enough].
Suggested route for the Witham peloton of DL, AndyC33 and me (others?) - Clicky Here (maybe without a couple of twidly bits that are proving a PITA to edit out so they're in the track, just won't be following them)
Should be at the Viper soon after 9pm if we leave on time from the Spa Rd roundabout, a couple of refreshments and another 90ish minutes home so would like to be leaving no later than 10:30.

The Retiree

« Reply #7537 on: 05 August, 2015, 08:54:15 am »
^^^^ Thanks Huggy  :thumbsup:

Works for me OD shall I look at putting a route together?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7538 on: 05 August, 2015, 11:05:51 am »
Viper & Three Elms sound very convenient for me! :D  :thumbsup: I may even bring out the CdF for its inaugural MEMWNS ride :)
Ok, after some more thought and that Tomsk is not going to be joining us this week & he already has the pork scratchings order sorted....back to plan A of just The Viper [40 miles seems enough].
Suggested route for the Witham peloton of DL, AndyC33 and me (others?) - Clicky Here (maybe without a couple of twidly bits that are proving a PITA to edit out so they're in the track, just won't be following them)
Should be at the Viper soon after 9pm if we leave on time from the Spa Rd roundabout, a couple of refreshments and another 90ish minutes home so would like to be leaving no later than 10:30.

Hopefully intercept you on North Hill (either before or at the top ) weather forecast not looking too great at the moment, heavy rain from 16:00 - 21:00 :(

I'll aim to be on to North Hill for around 20:00
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7539 on: 05 August, 2015, 11:22:30 am »
^^^^ Thanks Huggy  :thumbsup:

Works for me OD shall I look at putting a route together?

Smashing, crack on. I don't have access to all the necessary diaries but I think I'm around. Let's assume I am.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #7541 on: 05 August, 2015, 01:06:30 pm »
I won't be out tonight, yet again....although once I manage to escape the clutches of work I should have my man cave back by tonight and that means I can finally start fettling on my bike.

now...to go off topic and ramble on about my new bike,

All the bits are now with me, the wheels arrived yesterday and mighty fine they are, the Sapim Strong spokes on the rear give me a lot of comfort that they will handle my 'bulk' and also some extra luggage. The Pacenti SL25 rims look F**king brilliant (note: same as Carlosfandango's ones). I put a tyre on the back wheel and I have to say the look of the 28mm Panaracer Gravelking is pretty darn good (yes, I decided against the £140 for tubeless for now)

The braided Gold cable outers will be my touch of Bling  :facepalm:

Hopefully, with a bit of luck I will have time to work on the bike and even potentially have it ready to go for the Flitch Bikes ride on Saturday!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7542 on: 06 August, 2015, 12:16:46 am »
Good ride out, intercepted Witham peloton at base camp TMNH and headed on from there to the sound of thunder (later on) eventually making The Viper and enjoying much banter and beer and some bloke in a suit turned up too.....  Another good night out.

Regards,

Joergen

The Retiree

« Reply #7543 on: 06 August, 2015, 08:23:51 am »
To second Jibers comments it was another enjoyable MEMWNS last night with a decent peloton and some rather ominous thunder and lightening overhead by Hanningfield reservoir which nearly had us heading to The Hoops in Stock by default!

Myself, Andy C33, Huggy, Stuart (Sister Carols brother) and Ian (I hope that's right) were the peloton that formed at Spa rndbt and as you now know Jiber intercepted us and acted as professional photograher at the beginning of TMNH.
This was to be my first experience of The Viper and disappointed I was not with Jake the Snake, some Nethergate ale and a pint of Viper to finish all sampled.

As this aforementioned 'suited' guy approached our table none of us were sure initially who it was.........? Looking very much like OD's linked in picture we soon established that it was Ted delycra'd who happened to be passing the door after his 'course' had finished funnily enough on the golf course  ;D Ted stuck to the sparkling water, not due to driving but detox purposes ahead of PBP body is a temple and all that   :facepalm:

Highlight of the evening for me was myself and Stuart bombing past the guy that had whizzed past us at the foot of TMNH on his Giant carbon machine with Mavic Cosmics humming only to be overtaken on the steep bit by us two!  :thumbsup: *

Thanks for the pics Jiber hope to see some of you next week for our trip up to the Henney Swan

*neither of us had carbon machines or aero wheels

« Reply #7544 on: 06 August, 2015, 09:21:22 am »
Just one correction DL. 

Sister Carol's brother is actually called the Danbury Dogger - he has almost as unhealthy a fascination with a certain lane as you  have.

Drinking sparkling water isn't half boring.  It had better be worth it  ???

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7545 on: 06 August, 2015, 10:15:38 am »
Who is the chap in the red and white jersey on the left of the group shot in the pub?

« Reply #7546 on: 06 August, 2015, 10:28:19 am »
Who is the chap in the red and white jersey on the left of the group shot in the pub?
he's got that look about him that I have with the first pint in hand.

DL, bet you wish you were on the Brompton past that fella!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7547 on: 06 August, 2015, 11:02:10 am »
That's Ian, friend of Stuart (soon to be OTP with the pseudonym Danbury Dogger  ;D ).
Ian travels many miles each year by bike, mainly commuting 30+ miles per day.  Both DD and Ian were unexpected but welcome new members of the Witham MEMWNS peloton last night  :thumbsup:

There was at least an equal number of off-roadie types in the other bar, we didn't engage in conversation with them.

The Retiree

« Reply #7548 on: 06 August, 2015, 11:28:03 am »
Just one correction DL. 

Sister Carol's brother is actually called the Danbury Dogger - he has almost as unhealthy a fascination with a certain lane as you  have.

I stand corrected! I noticed the Danbury cycling top but it didn't appear to mention dogging anywhere on it!

DL, bet you wish you were on the Brompton past that fella!

Yep I would of loved that evenmore! We all thought for a moment that Ted had arrived by Brompton in the attire he rocked up wearing last night but alas not.....

« Reply #7549 on: 06 August, 2015, 11:57:02 am »
In JJ's group picture DL looks like an underage drinker who has snuck into the corner and is really excited to be out with the adults.