Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1751101 times)

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #14725 on: 10 June, 2020, 04:55:42 pm »
Unfortunately I've been banned from, ahem, Shitham ( not my renaming obvs) for this evening, so I would have been riding from Colchester.

Really?  :o
And I suppose this "ban" is in place only during periods of non-fandango-friendly weather - which would be quite an extensive period covering most of the year. ;D

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #14726 on: 10 June, 2020, 05:33:02 pm »
I note your wise and empathetic words Tomsk.

I may have chuckled at the other comments, I expect nothing less from you bunch of reprobates.

I'm hoping we can all meet up soon to enjoy some banter, though as you know it's difficult for one as shy and retiring as myself to make fun of others ;D

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14727 on: 10 June, 2020, 05:34:17 pm »
I note your wise and empathetic words Tomsk.

I may have chuckled at the other comments, I expect nothing less from you bunch of reprobates.

I'm hoping we can all meet up soon to enjoy some banter, though as you know it's difficult for one as shy and retiring as myself to make fun of others ;D

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #14728 on: 10 June, 2020, 05:36:07 pm »
Unfortunately I've been banned from, ahem, Shitham ( not my renaming obvs) for this evening, so I would have been riding from Colchester.

And I suppose this "ban" is in place only during periods of non-fandango-friendly weather - which would be quite an extensive period covering most of the year. ;D

Ah, the truth will out!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #14729 on: 10 June, 2020, 05:40:12 pm »

Ah, the truth will out!

This damp weather plays havoc with my joints you know.

« Reply #14730 on: 10 June, 2020, 06:16:57 pm »
Don’t spoil it for me!

It's a cracking read. Last night I learned about how to bivvy upright on a narrow ledge at height on the Matterhorn, roped on. Can't see me doing that anytime soon!

[

If you end up bivvying on the Matterhorn you got it wrong.  Up and down in about 7 hours from memory.  You do start when it’s dark though and finish mid to late morning. Then it’s beer o’clock

« Reply #14731 on: 10 June, 2020, 06:27:41 pm »
I may have written Matterhorn, but it was actually the north face of the Eiger. The upright bivvying was on the third night, 12,300 feet up. This was all back in the 60s, so equipment may have improved since then.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14732 on: 10 June, 2020, 06:39:42 pm »
I've packed 6 cans in to the carradice plus a warm jacket but I've looked at the weather forecast for the rest of tonight and I'm not feeling particularly audacious so think I'll stay home tonight.

Not sure where my mojo has gone for cycling to a pub in all weathers but it's not there at the moment!  :facepalm:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #14733 on: 10 June, 2020, 06:41:29 pm »
I may have written Matterhorn, but it was actually the north face of the Eiger. The upright bivvying was on the third night, 12,300 feet up. This was all back in the 60s, so equipment may have improved since then.

You are probably referencing the death bivouac.  The record for the Eiger north face is about 2 hours 20 mins  these days. But most mortals have at least one night on the face. Most ascents now in winter / spring to avoid the rockfall you see in summer.

Short article on Eiger Direct (new route)  in 1966.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/eiger_north_face_direct_1966_-_the_last_three_days-8012

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14734 on: 10 June, 2020, 07:02:43 pm »
I’m just setting off. See you there jibers!  :-*

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #14735 on: 11 June, 2020, 10:46:57 pm »
This damp weather plays havoc with my joints you know.

Space cakes are always an option.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14736 on: 13 June, 2020, 03:08:48 pm »
I’ve had an idea...

If we do go to Admiral’s Park or a similar open space on Wednesday evening we could get there a bit earlier and cook our teas!  I’m not doing pizza again though.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #14737 on: 14 June, 2020, 01:36:02 pm »
The Dutch Wife and I are happy to host a Wednesday evening at Thistley Green some time. Plenty of space and we could do a bbq or equivalent if people are interested? Plus plenty of space for bivvying between the ducks and the cows...
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14738 on: 14 June, 2020, 03:47:01 pm »
The Dutch Wife and I are happy to host a Wednesday evening at Thistley Green some time. Plenty of space and we could do a bbq or equivalent if people are interested? Plus plenty of space for bivvying between the ducks and the cows...

Excellent, thanks josser!

So folks, what are we going to do this coming Wednesday?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #14739 on: 14 June, 2020, 07:01:38 pm »

Excellent, thanks josser!

So folks, what are we going to do this coming Wednesday?

Plan A was Admiral's Park I guess, with or without stoves, en-suite, orange trowel etc - but ... we seem to have a better offer from Josser!  :thumbsup:

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #14740 on: 14 June, 2020, 07:25:14 pm »
Weather doesn’t look brill for this week so could postpone to following Wednesday? Plus could club together for a polypin of a local beer.
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #14741 on: 15 June, 2020, 09:08:23 am »
Thanks josser, but are there any decent local beers?

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #14742 on: 15 June, 2020, 09:50:06 am »
Hmm, good point...!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14743 on: 15 June, 2020, 12:32:47 pm »
Whatever we do this week I'm quite keen to have a cook out for no other reason than it'll be a fun thing to do.  Obvs we can do it in loads of different places.  What does everyone think?

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #14744 on: 15 June, 2020, 01:14:01 pm »
Whatever we do this week I'm quite keen to have a cook out for no other reason than it'll be a fun thing to do.  Obvs we can do it in loads of different places.  What does everyone think?

Is it another supper of lentilles et pénis au francais for you Septic?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14745 on: 15 June, 2020, 01:37:24 pm »

I was actually hoping for more constructive responses but never mind  ::-)

Of course there is nothing wrong with stuff out of a tin but should we have a cook out I might be more ambitious.  The matter is under consideration...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #14746 on: 15 June, 2020, 02:02:42 pm »

I was actually hoping for more constructive responses but never mind  ::-)

Of course there is nothing wrong with stuff out of a tin but should we have a cook out I might be more ambitious.  The matter is under consideration...
If we go to Admirals Park we can nip down to Duke Street to pick up a kebab, saves all that cooking faff  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14747 on: 15 June, 2020, 02:15:10 pm »
The cooking faff is the point!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #14748 on: 15 June, 2020, 02:17:26 pm »
The cooking faff is the point!
Can I be at a very safe distance when you set fire to the grass?
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #14749 on: 15 June, 2020, 02:20:57 pm »
I've got a fire extinguisher, I'll bring it just in case. (We get bored)