Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1751055 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #15675 on: 09 November, 2020, 11:02:17 am »
Does another member of the Witham peloton fancy joining me for a 30ish mile loop?  If we publish the route other could ride round it or join it and wave at others or stop for a brief socially distanced chat.

« Reply #15676 on: 09 November, 2020, 11:33:03 am »
I am up for a 2 person EER ride even if only for part of a longer ride.

We could even bring a bottle along.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15677 on: 09 November, 2020, 05:25:39 pm »
How about something bang in the heartland of Mid-Essex? Felsted, Gt Leighs, Terling, Lt Waltham, Littley Green (if going past the Compasses doesn't make you too sad) and back to Felsted (from my perspective starting in Dunmow). About 20 miles, depending on how many wiggly, laney bits. Easily accessible from Chelmo, Witham etc, goes past Rob and Josser's front doors and could be stitched whole or part into any longer evening ride you might fancy?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15678 on: 10 November, 2020, 05:28:44 am »
How about something bang in the heartland of Mid-Essex? Felsted, Gt Leighs, Terling, Lt Waltham, Littley Green (if going past the Compasses doesn't make you too sad) and back to Felsted (from my perspective starting in Dunmow). About 20 miles, depending on how many wiggly, laney bits. Easily accessible from Chelmo, Witham etc, goes past Rob and Josser's front doors and could be stitched whole or part into any longer evening ride you might fancy?

Something like THIS?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15679 on: 10 November, 2020, 07:55:59 am »

Something like THIS?

:thumbsup: Looks very 'you' with the wiggles and Green Lane COR (easily avoided via Ranks Green if on 23mm tyres with limited clearance!), but yes, excellent route! I'll plug it into my grey cells.

« Reply #15680 on: 10 November, 2020, 07:06:30 pm »
If out of work early enough I'll ride that route and hopefully cross paths with others.  Looking to start riding around 7pm.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15681 on: 10 November, 2020, 08:56:47 pm »
I'll ride anti-clockwise, starting around 7pm and looping via Stebbing to avoid the climb out of Dunmow on the old A120, which will still be busy with cars heading for Flitch Green and not terribly pleasant at that time of the evening. I might bring a bottle or two in my saddebag. 

« Reply #15682 on: 10 November, 2020, 09:22:57 pm »
I'm on a call tomorrow evening, otherwise I would have been across. Watch out for those slippy roads.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #15683 on: 10 November, 2020, 10:27:47 pm »
Not sure if I can be bothered to venture that far north straight from Mile End with no pub and no guaranteed Men I met on The Internet but I will see.  :thumbsup:
Have a fab time if not though. Next week might be different if my new dynamo lights are set up by then.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15684 on: 11 November, 2020, 06:38:12 am »
I'll ride anti-clockwise, starting around 7pm and looping via Stebbing to avoid the climb out of Dunmow on the old A120, which will still be busy with cars heading for Flitch Green and not terribly pleasant at that time of the evening. I might bring a bottle or two in my saddebag.

Any Withamites fancy a clockwise loop, we could form a few pairs, I don't mind when we set off?  I have some cans knocking about so could pop one of those in the Carradice.

« Reply #15685 on: 11 November, 2020, 10:52:53 am »
If anyone is heading out in EERland, I am aiming to ride https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34632882 leaving home at about 7.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15686 on: 11 November, 2020, 11:10:06 am »
My bike is currently covered in carcinogenic MDF dust. I’m hoping it’ll blow off during this evening’s ride. If I do have a buddy this evening best they make sure they are in front. 

« Reply #15687 on: 11 November, 2020, 12:14:06 pm »
My bike is currently covered in carcinogenic MDF dust. I’m hoping it’ll blow off during this evening’s ride. If I do have a buddy this evening best they make sure they are in front.

That's a new one  ::-)

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #15688 on: 11 November, 2020, 01:21:42 pm »

You're asking a lot of a buddy to go in front and blow you off, I can't oblige this evening, but good luck!

« Reply #15689 on: 11 November, 2020, 01:29:06 pm »

Although breathing in MDF dust (or indeed dust from any wood) is a Bad ThingTM, it's the gases that are released from the glue stuff that bond it all together that are carcinogenic. The heat from power tools cause this, so stick to hand tools and you'll be fine :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15690 on: 11 November, 2020, 02:54:49 pm »

Although breathing in MDF dust (or indeed dust from any wood) is a Bad ThingTM, it's the gases that are released from the glue stuff that bond it all together that are carcinogenic. The heat from power tools cause this, so stick to hand tools and you'll be fine :P

I've run a hose over Dakota so all is well.

Oops, just spent much of the last 3 days electric jigsawing MDF, but it was outdoors so hopefully that's OK.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15691 on: 16 November, 2020, 07:20:43 pm »
Who is up for a spin on Wednesday evening?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15692 on: 16 November, 2020, 07:28:48 pm »
I should be out and about - there may even be some floodwater remaining to play in. Water Lane in Gt Canfield was awash today on my commute, and near High Easter a car flagged me down to warm of the huge puddle ocean ahead - I have honed my one-legged, quarter turn, low-cadence technique on this one over the years, but it was nice someone cared!

rob

« Reply #15693 on: 17 November, 2020, 09:10:34 am »
I should be out and about - there may even be some floodwater remaining to play in. Water Lane in Gt Canfield was awash today on my commute, and near High Easter a car flagged me down to warm of the huge puddle ocean ahead - I have honed my one-legged, quarter turn, low-cadence technique on this one over the years, but it was nice someone cared!

The road just after Felsted Mill heading towards North End is awash but you can walk along the raised walkway to the side.   I found this out at about 5:30 this morning.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15694 on: 17 November, 2020, 11:27:16 am »

Hey Tomsk, as thus far it looks like it'll just be thee and me again how about THIS ROUTE?  We could perhaps meet on Station Road as I come off the FW or you could ride along it to meet me?  I'd hope to be on the road by 1900hrs and will try to remember to text you when I set off.

Anyone else fancy a spin?  If so we can easily change the route to accommodate.

« Reply #15695 on: 17 November, 2020, 12:16:20 pm »
I'll be out for a loop with my Tiptree Velo colleague but I think we are going to have another crack at our route that touches into Suffolk.....I'll aim to intercept at some point next week though.

« Reply #15696 on: 17 November, 2020, 01:05:08 pm »
I'm hoping to be out. I'll aim to ride the bit between Little Dunmow and Hare Street, or perhaps the other way makes more sense to avoid 3 people cycling in the same direction. If I aim to be at Hare Street at 8pm, then our paths should cross at some point after then.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15697 on: 17 November, 2020, 01:20:32 pm »
I'm hoping to be out. I'll aim to ride the bit between Little Dunmow and Hare Street, or perhaps the other way makes more sense to avoid 3 people cycling in the same direction. If I aim to be at Hare Street at 8pm, then our paths should cross at some point after then.

:thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15698 on: 17 November, 2020, 05:37:40 pm »
Ok  OD, :thumbsup: if I loop out of Dunmow then reverse your route and come in from High Easter to North End and then Felsted then that's about an hour's ride for me and we should meet in the vicinity of the Station Road/Flitch Way crossing at Flitch Green. I may see psyclist on that trajectory too - then reverse the route to join up as last week and peel off later at Littley Green. I'll get two goes at the Chelmer valley flooding ...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15699 on: 17 November, 2020, 05:55:13 pm »
Ok  OD, :thumbsup: if I loop out of Dunmow then reverse your route and come in from High Easter to North End and then Felsted then that's about an hour's ride for me and we should meet in the vicinity of the Station Road/Flitch Way crossing at Flitch Green. I may see psyclist on that trajectory too - then reverse the route to join up as last week and peel off later at Littley Green. I'll get two goes at the Chelmer valley flooding ...

Excellent. There’s a chance I might have tipper with me so if that’s the case we’ll work something out when we meet up, one of us can ride a decent distance apart of something.