Author Topic: A bit Miff(i)ed  (Read 1786 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
A bit Miff(i)ed
« on: 17 February, 2017, 03:33:05 pm »
Dick Bruna has died. That was a key part of my children's formative learning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39007462
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: A bit Miff(i)ed
« Reply #1 on: 17 February, 2017, 03:50:12 pm »
I remember this

from my tiny childhood. It's responsible for me now thinking of a 1960s pop duo as "I Can Tina Turner".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2017, 04:16:08 pm »
:(  My brother (Matthew) somehow obtained the nickname Miff, which I never totally separated from Miffy in mind.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3 on: 17 February, 2017, 08:00:49 pm »
Dick Bruna in partnership with a Peter Jones and the National Deaf Children's Society wrote a book about a deaf child in 1984 before there were many campaigns for toys and books about disabled children. http://kickcanandconkers.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/bens-blue-boat.html

I still have my original copy downstairs. I hadn't realised it was the same illustrator till today when it hit me that the drawing style is really similar.

I especially liked this picture of the family all speaking clearly with really unclear oooooo mouth shapes:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 17 February, 2017, 09:15:10 pm »
That's the one with the title that's deliberately difficult for deaf children to say...  ::-)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5 on: 17 February, 2017, 10:01:26 pm »
That's the one with the title that's deliberately difficult for deaf children to say...  ::-)

Is it? You're going to tell me I am not saying it right now, aren't you?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 20 February, 2017, 02:19:39 pm »
Dick Bruna was a genius.  Simple, bold colours and designs evoke a whole Miffy/Boris/etc world.

We have Miffy's Tent, Miffy's Bicycle, and various others.  I should commend Miffy's Tent for being one of the few childrens books involving a tent, in which the participants don't find it difficult to erect said tent, and in which the tent does notfall down.
Getting there...