Author Topic: tnaR  (Read 58966 times)

Re: tnaR
« Reply #100 on: 22 March, 2016, 12:57:00 pm »
Drivers of Glasgow (well, more Paisley and Erskine really) I've been sufficiently impressed with your overtaking these past six months to form that to form my the second* largest part of my impression of commuting around here.

*first is rain obvs.

« Reply #101 on: 20 April, 2016, 01:17:52 pm »
Last night constantly looking back trying to see a gap in the traffic to get into the right turn lane off the A57, here, when a gap magically appeared without me signalling. many thanks BC van driver  :thumbsup:

JJ

« Reply #102 on: 09 June, 2016, 02:01:29 pm »
So here's a thing.

I was driving the gas-guzzling rust-bucket to work, which is not the norm, thanks for asking, and came up behind a chap in jeans and a CTC top, on a hybrid.  Now, I could have pressed on past him before the hump-backed bridge-over-nothing but it would have been borderline so I waited behind until after where it was easy.

And that's the thing.  I got a little friendly wave for my trouble.  Fair made my morning, it did.  I might do that again.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #103 on: 27 June, 2016, 08:18:02 pm »
Friendly bus driver on the A38 thanks me for letting him out, though in fact his stop was far enough ahead I didn't have to slow down at all, then a couple of stops down when I do slow to let him out he waves me on then sits very patiently behind me for a couple of miles. Mind you, bike speed is about traffic speed on that stretch anyway, especially as it's downhill! Also thanks to the 20 limit.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #104 on: 06 July, 2016, 05:33:04 pm »
I am currently commuting by bus  :( due to recuperation from a cold. However it has meant that yesterday I was able to compliment the driver on his behaviour around a number of cyclists, demonstrating both anticipation and patience.  :thumbsup:

Seeing as I am normally cycling on that route anything I can do to reinforce good behaviours seems sensible.

« Reply #105 on: 10 July, 2016, 07:49:30 am »
The council large item rubbish van driver who had backed off a long way down the slip road of the A548 and so didn't run me over when I dropped it yesterday.

The severals of motorists who stopped to make sure I was ok while I was sitting at the roadside in the rain picking stuffs out my knee. Restores your faith in humanity.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #106 on: 10 July, 2016, 10:45:44 am »
Hope your knee's ok. And your bike!

My nomination goes to the driver who followed me well back without trying to overtake once on the single-and-a-half-track lane into Burton. That I was doing, very unusually for me, high twenties mph probably made it easier for him but even so commendable patience.

« Reply #107 on: 11 July, 2016, 08:39:57 am »
We had a couple of pootles near Beccles this weekend. Every single driver that passed us did so with ample clearance and in a sensible place. Well impressed.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #108 on: 13 September, 2016, 09:50:11 pm »
Fabulous driving by a transit van towing a mini digger this evening. First caught me when we had both parked cars and on coming traffic, he waited when I didn't expect him to. Then followed me through a right turn, past a recovery vehicle that was stopped with hazard lights, through a left turn and followed patiently round the bend and past a side turning before eventually overtaking when it was safe clear and with good visibility.  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately the vehicle had no livery to identify the company to communicate my appreciation.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #109 on: 29 January, 2017, 04:18:45 pm »
The two overtakes of me by the the 78 bus yesterday were exemplary. The two overtakes of the bus by me are for the bus driver to judge. If only their colleague driving the 75 showed the same care.

« Reply #110 on: 29 January, 2017, 04:28:31 pm »
Fabulous driving by a transit van towing a mini digger this evening. First caught me when we had both parked cars and on coming traffic, he waited when I didn't expect him to. Then followed me through a right turn, past a recovery vehicle that was stopped with hazard lights, through a left turn and followed patiently round the bend and past a side turning before eventually overtaking when it was safe clear and with good visibility.  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately the vehicle had no livery to identify the company to communicate my appreciation.

Stolen the digger and didn't want to draw attention to himself?!   :demon:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #111 on: 22 February, 2017, 03:58:02 pm »
Threading my way through the normal Stokes Croft traffic jam, there was a gap between a stationary bus and a car illegally parked outside the PO. There is always at least one vehicle illegally parked outside the PO and very often a little further down outside Miss Milly's Southern Fried Chickenoid Shack too. On this occasion there was plenty of space between bus (which wasn't going anywhere, the lights were red and at least half a dozen stationary vehicles in front of it) and parked car, enough for even clumsy me to easily ride through. Nevertheless, the woman in the car said "Sorry" as I rode past. Nice of her to be aware that she was potentially a blockage, even if she was actually not. Would have been even nicer if she hadn't parked there, but hey. I was in a good mood anyway cos I'd just had what I feared might be a misthreaded mounting hole on my fork cleared out for free with a tap at Jake's Bikes (it was probably just a bit of paint or something in there).

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #112 on: 16 August, 2017, 07:15:33 pm »
Another instance today of a car coming up to a give way line on my left while I'm waiting to turn right, same location as this previous incident.  On pulling away the driver was clearly aware of my presence, did not try to beat me out, did not try to turn right through me and gave me acres of room.  You sir need to update your CV because with considerate driving like that I can't see you lasting long at Addison Lee.

(Doesn't get much traffic this thread does it...)
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #113 on: 19 July, 2018, 08:31:57 am »
One of the local couriers might get (OK, *does* get) loads of adverse comments on the town Facething site for his unusual and innovative delivery style, but when it comes to getting around the area he shows his belief that "DPD" stands for "Driven Properly, Dear". It's always a pleasure to share the road with drivers who understand the concept of "sharing". :thumbsup:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #114 on: 19 July, 2018, 09:07:38 am »
Good thread.

Thanks to the nice human who stopped to ask if i was alright as I lay in the grass at the side of the road upon a hilltop last week.  All I could muster was a thumbs up as thanks.

I felt a bit silly, I hadn't been hit or fallen off, this was just the result of a bit of over-exertion in training for the upcoming hillclimb season.... ::-)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #115 on: 19 July, 2018, 09:26:11 am »
I had that happen once when I was having  a sit down at the top of the last bastard hill before Long Itchington.  The guy looked quite concerned.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #116 on: 29 October, 2018, 09:45:19 am »
Young Asian chap, employed by Village Cars private hire firm, who took me to Hitchin station last Sunday.

A lovely sunny day, warm (for the time of year, lots of cyclists on the A600 between Henlow Camp and Hitchin. What does my driver do? Slow down to match cyclist's speed, puts on right indicator, waits about 2-3 car-lengths behind. When the road has cleared of oncoming traffic (including cyclists) pulls right over the white line, giving the cyclist the whole carriageway to play in, and doesn't pull back over until we're about a bus-length past the cyclist. He did this every time! :thumbsup:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #117 on: 28 January, 2019, 04:47:42 pm »
Bus driver, who slowed down and straddled both lanes of the Pershore Road to allow me to complete a right turn.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #118 on: 06 June, 2019, 10:11:09 am »
A1500 from Scampton - due to roadworks it was a 20mph limit complete with multiple cameras and so forth, so all the motorists were obediently sticking to 20mph. 
Which meant they had plenty of time and space to overtake as per the highway code.

So I saunter along at, say, 14mph, and the motorists were overtaking me wide and slow.
Surreally relaxed and so much nicer than the usual fast-and-close-pass-fest.  :)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #119 on: 02 September, 2019, 02:05:06 pm »
Lots of good driving encountered yesterday, for some reason – perhaps the late summer sunshine put everyone in a good mood? – but the best involved that old excuse for death and destruction, the low sun in your eyes. Country lane, but wide enough for a centre line. Due west into the low but bright sun. Uphill so I'm going slowly (even more than normal). Some bends. A yellow Fiat 500 comes up and instead of either wooshing by centimetres from my elbow or veering wildly over to the other side of the road on the blind bend, is content to sit a decent distance behind me at 6mph. Round one bend and another and... then round that bend there's another cyclist just ahead of me, who's even slower than I am (hybrid, basket). Car is still sitting behind so I give a little arm signal and overtake. Driver is now sitting at 4mph. And carried on at that speed for some time judging by the distance I'd gone before she (I saw the driver was a she when she overtook) caught up, paused again, and then I, seeing a clear straight road, waved her past. She not only entirely crossed the line but gave a little wave...

Of course all this really should be normal, I guess.

« Reply #120 on: 29 February, 2020, 02:52:53 pm »
I always remember the Audax event a few years back, where I was heading towards the Notleys and saw a wheel-swallowing pothole in front of me. The driver coming the other way plainly saw it too, and my reaction, because she held back and gave the the whole road to get round it. She absolutely didn't have to do that - the hole was on my side and it was clearly up to me to give way - but she did anyway :thumbsup:

« Reply #121 on: 19 March, 2020, 06:35:11 pm »
Nice overtake on the ride home tonight. The car in question went completely over the white line onto the other side of the road to pass. And it was a learner!  :thumbsup: So at least one of the local driving schools is doing something properly. And the car following did the same.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #122 on: 19 March, 2020, 06:44:52 pm »
Write to the driving school ?

There's nothing as good for reinforcing good behaviour as commending it.
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #123 on: 19 March, 2020, 07:11:07 pm »
That's good.  I had some excellent holding back by a nervous learner on a twisty road the other day, followed by a decently wide overtake and ruined by cutting in as soon as I was level with the windscreen.  Hopefully they'll have received the appropriate lecture from the instructor.

I see a lot of driving school cars on my winter loop, and they mostly get the overtaking distance right.  Occasional poor judgement about when to do it and relative speed, but they're learners.  Seems like the instructors have the right idea, anway.

I'll generally give a thumbs-up to a learner after a decent overtake.  They're probably even looking in the mirrors and everything.

« Reply #124 on: 19 March, 2020, 08:25:59 pm »
Write to the driving school ?
I did think of that, but too late. I didn't recognise the school, and the overtake was on an NSL road so they were going at a fair speed. Shame.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."